Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds dumb but I been thinking about the track I used to race in GA and how much air time I was getting in a XP 900, I was in the air for about 50ft and maybe 6ft off the ground and the engine would nearly return to idle in the air

My question is how will you jump this manual tranny? I was thinking, would I push in the clutch while in the air, or what. Change gears??

This sounds so simple but I never jumped anything manual and in race conditions, where you are back to full throttle as soon as you touch back down.

Would I be required to have the ReKluse clutch

Anyone have any ideas?

Todd

·
Registered
589 Posts
Think it should be almost like a motorcycle. Don't use the clutch and use the gas to control pitch. Throttle to bring nose up and brake to bring nose down.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It'll probably end up being a combination situation with how the jump is. There will be times when you wanna do the "panic rev" to raise the front...and then the flip side, you'll wanna have clutch in and stab the brake in hopes the front will drop if nose high.

I think it'll be fun to creep up to a jump "when just tooling around" and blip the clutch pinned up a face of jump...kinda like seat bouncing a jump..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do it like motocross racers...on the gas when landing to keep that momentum going as fast as possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On quads I always pulled in the clutch, blip the throttle in the air, then clutch out throttle smashed as soon as you touch down. This is one aspect that I look forward to over the CVT. Unless you have a non EBS Helix you have to be careful not to cut off throttle mid air on a CVT machine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As far as clutch use goes, I don't think it would be much different from jumping quads or bikes with manual clutches but there will be somewhat of a learning curve. The best part is that we all can look forward to enjoying that learning curve of the YXZ.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
It's just like jumping a quad or dirtbike - you can blip it in the air to match the wheel speed on landing.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Think it should be almost like a motorcycle. Don't use the clutch and use the gas to control pitch. Throttle to bring nose up and brake to bring nose down.
It'll probably end up being a combination situation with how the jump is. There will be times when you wanna do the "panic rev" to raise the front...and then the flip side, you'll wanna have clutch in and stab the brake in hopes the front will drop if nose high.

I think it'll be fun to creep up to a jump "when just tooling around" and blip the clutch pinned up a face of jump...kinda like seat bouncing a jump..
Do it like motocross racers...on the gas when landing to keep that momentum going as fast as possible.
What they ^^^^^ said!

·
Registered
30 Posts

Pretty sure you will want to push in the clutch before tapping that brake. You don't want to kill the motor in mid-air. lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Personally i think this vehicle is way to heavy for any type of dirt bike maneuvering in the air, if you tires are truly in the air i don't think reving will raise the front much if any, braking might make the nose drop a tad but will be a harsh landing if you have no wheel speed.

It is like jumping a sand car, your goal is to try and match the speed of your wheels to the ground speed when you land, this is usually accomplished by letting it "free wheel" after you launch or just taping the throttle a bit before you land.

When in doubt pushing the clutch in and landing will not do any harm to the vehicle and is probably the safest thing for bigger jumps, most big sand car jumps you see they push the clutch in when they land you just can't tell.

You will absolutely not want to land with the throttle mashed to the floor, this will be very hard on the drive train and probably result in broken axles, extensive cv wear, premature clutch wear, things of that nature. Think of it as dropping the clutch at full RPM, that is essentially what you will be doing when you land with the throttle smashed. I am not saying the machine won't take it and break something the 1st time but it can't be good for it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pretty sure you will want to push in the clutch before tapping that brake. You don't want to kill the motor in mid-air. lol
did that a few times on my quad....nothing like 4th gear pinned, launching a dune 50 ft, hit brakes mid-air and killing the motor. At least I would remember to pull the clutch in before landing!:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally i think this vehicle is way to heavy for any type of dirt bike maneuvering in the air, if you tires are truly in the air i don't think reving will raise the front much if any, braking might make the nose drop a tad but will be a harsh landing if you have no wheel speed.

It is like jumping a sand car, your goal is to try and match the speed of your wheels to the ground speed when you land, this is usually accomplished by letting it "free wheel" after you launch or just taping the throttle a bit before you land.

When in doubt pushing the clutch in and landing will not do any harm to the vehicle and is probably the safest thing for bigger jumps, most big sand car jumps you see they push the clutch in when they land you just can't tell.

You will absolutely not want to land with the throttle mashed to the floor, this will be very hard on the drive train and probably result in broken axles, extensive cv wear, premature clutch wear, things of that nature. Think of it as dropping the clutch at full RPM, that is essentially what you will be doing when you land with the throttle smashed. I am not saying the machine won't take it and break something the 1st time but it can't be good for it.
This is the answer ! This guy knows what he is talking about, this will be like a sand rail not a dirt bike. It weighs way to much to be treated like a dirt bike. Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I been thinking I would try and match air and ground speed and floor it again when hitting the ground

With XP900 with less ebs helix and non ebs helix I simply let go of the throttle, landed and floored it, when I did it with the stock very aggressive helix in there if you did that it would throw you through the windshield so I had to match the air and ground speed.

I am buying one of these and want to go back to Durhamtown in GA and run their GP course, lots of air.

Todd

·
Registered
27 Posts

Listen to this guy...this is the correct information. Couldn't have added anything to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.