Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I backed out of my SE, I still have my deposit in for the spring, too many other things on the go, felt rushed especially since so much wasn't proven yet for mods considering I plan on boost and lots of it. Side note the SE is still sitting at the dealer.....so much for the 6 other ppl waiting behind me..... How's everyone liking their YXZ, anything on the wish list of change?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I personally made the right decision.

Not worrying about grenading belts.....Priceless!

Reactions: McKay and Hoseclamp

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
What are you going to be using it for?

I love mine, and I feel like I made the right decision. I was trying to wait on a blue and white one, but I could get two races in this season if I went with a yellow. The dealer I bought at had 10 come in and all of them were pre-sold too. My local dealer has one he is sitting on, but he is trying for Sticker plus 1400 bucks... then Sales Tax too.

I was one of the people who killed it at least 20 times the first weekend out. Now, with a little more time in it, I never do. I did go with the Barnette pressure plate right away tho. I just couldn't feel the pedal wearing my boots. Now it has a little more pedal feel so I think that is why I am not stalling it too. I also raised up the rear of the seat a little too.

I have posted several things about the racing seat time. This is where it really shines a lot. I would definitely soften up the suspension if I was going to trail ride it tho. But for Race pace, it works great. I am going to make a few changes, but definitely won't be buying any after market shocks, or doing any shock re-valves for my usage.

I do trail ride some during the winter months too, so I will be adding a windshield and the rekluse too. I do agree for trail riding, the first gear is a little tall. Since I don't trail ride near as much as I used to tho, It's not worth changing it out to me.

That's pretty much it for me tho... Be the first machine I haven't spent a couple grand on for doors, roof, braces, clutch work, etc.

I did see where Nelson was running some after market linkages tho, so I will probably change those out before next season. I will actually un-hook the sway bars for our trail riding tho.

I really can't think of anything else it needs.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Oh yeah... I still have a 13 model xp900 too. It won't quit raining here long enough for me to take both out and do comparative lap times. Plus after our last race the XP is down waiting on some parts too. Nothing major, but the usual ball joints and A-arm bolt.

The driving experience is Way different between the Manual and the CVT too. Some like it, some don't. There are 4 of us that ride and race in my family. Myself and my 22 year old just Love the shifting. It makes you feel more conected. Hard to explain, but you are in control of the Rpms, and there really is something about shifting when the light comes on! You always feel like you are in a race!
My wife and 18 year old don't like it as much... the wife says it is too much to remember when trying to focus on getting around the trees at speed. My youngest basically refuses to drive it until after this season is over in the 900. He is very fast and comfortable in the 900 car too. I am eager to see if he can adapt to this one. I think he will be fine after a race or two, but I can also see him getting frustrated in the beginning. He did save up his mowing money and buy a manual Mini cooper a couple months ago for his daily driver tho. He is also getting a lot more comfortable shifting there too.

And to be honest, we haven't had any desire to take the YXZ to a slow tight trail yet. It just makes you want to go fast!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm really loving my SE. I have about 300 miles on it so far, and really can't find too many bad things to say about it yet. It's definitely not for everyone, but if it fits your driving style, then you will have a ball. My playground in the Desert Southwest, which is where this car will probably be at its best. Fast, open areas are really fun. The faster you drive this thing, the better the suspension feels. So far, I see no reason to replace or modify the suspension. Its really adjustable, and after a few small changes, the car hits bump/jumps pretty flat and predictable. The first gear is a little tall, and if I lived where there is deep mud and tight trails, probably would stick with the rubber band. (sold my 14 XP-1 for this) Replacing the exhaust and remapping the fuel have totally changed the engine and the feel of the car. Money well spent for sure. Where I play, i don't think there is a better car out there right now. Lets see what the future brings. I think we are all in for some good rides..

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm really loving my SE. I have about 300 miles on it so far, and really can't find too many bad things to say about it yet. It's definitely not for everyone, but if it fits your driving style, then you will have a ball. My playground in the Desert Southwest, which is where this car will probably be at its best. Fast, open areas are really fun. The faster you drive this thing, the better the suspension feels. So far, I see no reason to replace or modify the suspension. Its really adjustable, and after a few small changes, the car hits bump/jumps pretty flat and predictable. The first gear is a little tall, and if I lived where there is deep mud and tight trails, probably would stick with the rubber band. (sold my 14 XP-1 for this) Replacing the exhaust and remapping the fuel have totally changed the engine and the feel of the car. Money well spent for sure. Where I play, i don't think there is a better car out there right now. Lets see what the future brings. I think we are all in for some good rides..
What exhaust and remapping hardware did you install?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
How best to describe if I like this little Minion HELL YEA, When i first took delivery i was able to head to Pismo Beach for a day trip with my son. We had been up all night trying to finish his Banshee build and didnt get to bed till 3am.. got a late start and headed to the sand. we ended up with about 3 good hours of driving time between the two of us. This is the first SxS i have personally owned. Prior to this in the SxS world all i had ever driven was a 2009 Polaris Ranger 900. I always enjoyed cruising around but it was not very sporty. On our Dumont trips I would always carry the beer since it had the bed. On the desert trips I would haul the fuel and spare parts.
Now that I have a true sport SxS the only thing i can say is what a blast. although this is the first SxS, i did have a 5 seat LT car with LS motor a few years back.. I can honestly say I truly enjoy driving this YXZ as much as i did my LT car, if not more. Its all about the shifting and sliding and flat hauling ass when ever you want, and going wherever you want. After our 9 day trip to Dumont and getting some good seat time in this car the only thing i wanted to do was get an exhaust system from Weller Racing. i had even paid the deposit and was just waiting for it to get done and released.

Last week that all changed. I got a text from a friend who sent me his MPI Turbo since he was taking a break from riding for awhile. Friday evening my son and I started on the MPI install, by Saturday the crew from Dumont was there and we got it finished up. the install went pretty smooth and when It was done that little Minion sounds good. I had not been a fan of the can on the back but in person its growing on me. Others really seem to like the looks and it sounds better than anything i have heard so far. What i was really impressed with was the Customer service at MPI, and the research they have done to put this through it paces.

Now i have to work the next 5 days before i can get out and play.. and that is what this thread is all this is about.. You know your happy with something if all you do is make plans for the soonest possible time you can get out and play. Lucky for me Pismo is only 3 hours away from the valley. and there are fire roads 30 minutes up the hill

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hate it hate it hate it!!
I hate that I can't go anywhere now without being notice.
I hate that people are always taking pictures of me.
I hate that every time I stop people are asking me questions about it.
I hate that I have the only one around.
I hate that I can go 78 mph and feel like I'm going 30.
I hate that there are only 24 hours a day to ride it.
I hate the way my wife laughs every time I do a power slide in a corner.
I could go on about all the this I hate about it.
With all that being said its the best $22,000.01 I ever spent!!! Would do it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
199 Posts
With all that being said its the best $22,000.01 I ever spent!!! Would do it again tomorrow.

Well said Sir... hats off to you I

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I know how you feel

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Really sounds like a tough spot to be in. I hope you come out of this okay. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts