Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im going to fit a hydraulic hand brake to my YXZ. There is a junction in the rear brake line under the floor of the drivers side. I have not stripped to check it out yet. Does anyone have a picture of that connection or do you know what connection it is. I need to split it then connect it through the hydro brake via braided hoses and need to know what the connection is. If anyone has a yxz currently stripped and can help with a photo even would br great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im In Wales UK. Over here we ride in the mountains and some of the tracks are so tight that you cannot get around without doing a two point turn and if you try backing off to loosen the rear then power round can put you in a tree or hedge very easily. A more controlled tweak on the hand break at a lower speed would be a more controlled approach. Ken f..... who!!
Just asking for some help from you guys as you have loads of them over there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just need to take the two brake pipes out of either side of the connection block positioned on the frame underneath the gearbox area, then connect the ends of two braided brake lines, one to each of the pipes. I wonder if any of you guys in the States can help me as with what the connection is on each of the original lines as you have a hell of a lot of these things and I presume know a lot about them. If anyone has a yxz currently stripped and can help with a photo even better. Thanks

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Hi. Im going to fit a hydraulic hand brake to my YXZ. There is a junction in the rear brake line under the floor of the drivers side. I have not stripped to check it out yet. Does anyone have a picture of that connection or do you know what connection it is. I need to split it then connect it through the hydro brake via braided hoses and need to know what the connection is. If anyone has a yxz currently stripped and can help with a photo even would br great.
The rear brake line only has one coupling in it between the master cylinder and the tee block at the rear that splits the line to go to each rear wheel. The coupling is on the driver side, toward the front where the shift console is supported by the tube frame work at about the shifter location down on the frame, that is bolted to a piece of hat channel cross member. The coupling is a rather long one that is also attached to the cross member. To access it you will need to remove the driver side tunnel cover and it will be right there on the frame, that's the only splice in the rear hard brake line.

Is your intention to add in a cutter brake that will only activate the rear brakes and not the fronts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The existing brake is no where near powerful enough and would also put a lot of pressure through the rear diff even if you could use that.
I wanted ti find out what threads etc that I need so that I can get the lines ordered already. So that I don’t have to disconnect the line yet. Leaving my YXZ out of action in the mean time.

Picture attached.
Im going to disconnect the hard line at the junction shown, then connect the hydro brake in Series with the rear brake callipers.

I know who Ken Block is really by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Here is a diagram of how Im going to do it. Just need the specification of the two connectors that I have underlined in red on the diagram. If any of you guys can help?
Your first diagram is exactly how the system is configured. The OEM coupling is the same size as the lines that come out of the tee block above the rear diff and your other fittings would depend on what is on the cutter brake you go with.

I also agree with Robin that in 4-wheel drive the system will brake all four wheels through the drive train.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
722 Posts
Dose the YXZ have a split master? I haven't gone out and looked at mine but if I remember right it doesn't.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Pretty sure the way you intend to do that is going to be a problem.

It might be better and easier to just mount a hydraulic caliper in place of the existing one on the e brake disc and leave the regular brakes alone. I am certain that locking it up isn't going to damage the gears. Braking with rear tires only is never going to be the force the rear end takes on full throttle shifts. The back tires slide easily braking the rear only.

Another way would be put a solenoid valve to front brakes so the pedal will only work the rear brakes when you push a button to energize solenoid in front brake line. A line lock for race cars installed in backwards would work well. Normally they hold the fluid in the front brakes to lock front tires. Installed backwards it would hold fluid from going to front brakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It won't work.
The YXZ does not have a differential in the rear axle. You can't use a cutting brake on a locked axle.
It won't work.
The YXZ does not have a differential in the rear axle. You can't use a cutting brake on a locked axle.

If I install it I will install it with the intention of it being a hand brake, not a turning brake to lock up individual wheels. I just happen to have a brand new single piston hand brake sitting in my garage in the box. It’s very tempting.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts