Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't you have both manual and cvt, that should satisfy everyone and both coasts!!

Wouldn't that be awesome if you had your choice? Seems like it would be a win win for everyone.

·
Registered
753 Posts
They may do it next year.. you never know with them.

Reactions: justincmw

·
Registered
9 Posts
All it needs is a doubler in between the engine and gearbox and a recluse and it would do it all! I personally can wait to get one, I also think after market engine swaps will be amazing, it's not connected directly to the gearbox, I see some big jet ski engines going in!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes. All it needs to make me a buyer is the Low-Range.

Yeah, a 6th gear would be nice for some more flexibility (iffin I were to nit-pick).

And, really as the run-up to this (prior to the release of the CARB data sheet), I was hoping for a Honda Pioneer-like Dual Clutch (DCT), but, hey.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Why don't you have both manual and cvt, that should satisfy everyone and both coasts!!

Wouldn't that be awesome if you had your choice? Seems like it would be a win win for everyone.
l HEARD YAMAHA HAS A MUD CRAWLER ON THE WAY.

·
Registered
762 Posts
OH, HELL. A UNlCORN

·
Registered
194 Posts

I want to shift!!! And I live in the EAST in some of the steepest, nastiest, rockiest hollows and ridges you can imagine!!! NO belts! Manual clutch with Rekluse option and a wide ratio transmission with a LOW 1st gear.

Think WR 450. WR250. WR 500 etc.. Pretty much exactly the same as a YZ, just tailored for the OFFROAD/TRAIL Guys!

Give me a YWZR and you will sell tons of them, Yamaha! :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Shifting in the woods is fine as long as it's not over shifting or riding the clutch pedal all the time

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It will be interesting to see one of these in the woods. Riders with ability usually adapt to the SXS and terrain. I think it will be rode all across the US just fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't mind the shifting but also don't mind the cvt. Yamaha already has the know how on cvt, it was just a thought so they could make yxz very versatile..

I guess a 6 speed with a low first gear would work also for the guys not riding west coast dunes.

·
Registered
831 Posts
A 6-speed and Low-Range, if I had my druthers.

And a Rekluse for it's anti-stall properties. I don't want to be hitting the starter button several times on a long, rocky climb and a clutched manual tranny.

I still see a lot of misconceptions on the Rekluse. Too many to go over right now. The Rekluse can be made to behave quite differently, just by the swapping of engagement springs and "setting the gap." It can be made to grab early and hard (the typical setting for the YXZ, I suspect), or late for a little extra RPMs. And it also has a way of feathering the clutch off-idle, making for a very smooth engagement either at the start or while negotiating a rocky slow-climb.

Lastly, it has been said that a Rekluse clutch means the vehicle can no longer be push-started. That is true with a Rekluse with the old slave cylinder. If Yamaha is using the new-ish "Adjustable Slave Cylinder" (I suspect they are), then in a pinch, it can be backed all the way out and the clutch pack will be fully engaged for push-starting (or so I have been told by Rekluse, at least on dirt bikes). I've never tried it. For the YXZ, this also depends on whether the adjuster allen screw on the slave cylinder is accessible. On a dirt bike, it is located near the rider's left foot.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't mind the shifting but also don't mind the cvt. Yamaha already has the know how on cvt, it was just a thought so they could make yxz very versatile..

I guess a 6 speed with a low first gear would work also for the guys not riding west coast dunes.
I agree. Their CVT's are pretty bulletproof and perform very well in the snowmobile world. I'm running at 250hp and I haven't had any issues with my clutches.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Or people could just quit being wimpy about a manual....:D

Yamaha's is a manual. Others make CVT's. There's your choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts