Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say that Yamaha is the worst and I will NEVER buy another yamaha product again!!! I have a 2016 YXZ 1000r, YXZ10YPSGS silver and red standard shift purchased on 1/20/2017. I have the winch and front and back bars side curtains radio heat and trunk and the rear roll cage bars. The dealer sent me home with a dead battery so the first time I took it out to ride it I had to buy a new battery! The second time I took it out I had to buy a new Barnet clutch because the factory one burnt out and the dealer said I also needed a recluse clutch. Yamaha claims they covered the clutch but the dealer claimed that they didn't!!!! I couldn't ride it for a year due to health reasons so this year 8/02-05/2019 I went to Jericho ATV festival in New Hampshire and the recluse clutch did nothing but make the dealer money because the Barnet clutch burnt out!!! This machine has 271miles on it and only 36.5 hours!!! There is nothing worse than dragging a machine out of the woods!!! It really does a beating to the body and undercarriage and rims because you're getting pulled and can only go in the direction the machine pulling you is going! Trails are not straight!!!!!!! I bought this machine in New Hampshire to ride it in New Hampshire and you can't even get the tires dirty because it will blow the clutch!!!!!! I bought the yxz because Yamaha claims that the clutch is more reliable than the cvt and I've never burnt out a clutch in my life and I'm 43!!!!! I'm also handicap and just wanted to feel safe getting back out in the woods and this machine made that possible for me!!!!! Now I have this machine that I'll never feel safe going anywhere with it and I have over $20,000 invested into it!!!!!!! Shame on you Yamaha!!!!!The other side by side manufacturers Polaris, Can Am, Honda, CF motor, that Indian diesel jeep company all had factory support at Jericho atv festival not Yamaha!! This is one of the biggest events and yamaha was not there each manufacturer had about 100 reps but yamaha was hiding their face in shame!!!!! Yamaha should be the new word for shame!!!! They don't support the garbage they pawn off on people!!!!! To top all this off my Yamaha factory winch also broke it was second time I used it!!!! I've never seen a steel cable break in my life until this weekend thank you Yamaha for that!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply you're very kind. I live on the East coast and they don't really like selling the yxz here anymore because of the type of trails we have at least that's what I'm being told now. This weekends event there was thousands of side by sides and only about 5 yxz there.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Check out some u tube videos of what the yxz is capable of when they are geared for the type of riding u describe. These Machines are solid but gearing is the key. You made an investment don’t quit now just go ahead and have it re geared and it will go straight up a wall and no more clutch issues . Google tube works and or search this site for gearing . Sounds like the 70-30-15 gear set is what you are after . I also wanted a dependable machine as I have gone on 3 day guided trips in Utah and didn’t want a breakdown. The guide said of all the break downs he has had he never had a Yamaha go down . Crash and roll maybe (Dumontsand) . LOL . The recluse I also have but with stock gearing it’s on borrowed time . If you read just about every member on here has done a gear change and are happy afterwards. Once you get it set up for your riding area and you go out with a group of other machines you will be waiting on them at some point to change belts . You won’t.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe a little more research before you drop that kind of coin next time. Sounds like your dealer took you for a ride more than once so I’d settle it with them and not here. Wayyyyy more happy campers here than angry ones. I’ve got over 2k miles on a stock clutch with full exhaust and tune. Put about 400 miles on in the hills of West Virginia but mostly ride the sandy trails and dunes of northern Michigan. The gearing and clutch is just fine for the terrain we ride. And they are not easy miles at all. Do not rest your foot on the clutch pedal!!!!!!!! It will fail!!!

Reactions: Moses439

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your reply. The dealer said I needed the recluse clutch to be able to ride these trails after I bought it and after the factor clutch burnt out. Yamaha is selling the YXZ in New Hampshire and Jericho mountain is one of a few places you can take a YXZ so off the factory floor without modification it should be able to preform and be used as is. The dealer also said at the time I purchased it that Jericho mountain was one of the only places they know I could use it. Jericho mountain trails were built for atv and side by side vehicles and is not a extreme trail system. This was not the first standard offroad/off highway vehicle I've owned and my 2008 Mustang Bullitt is standard with 118,000 miles on it and I've drag raced it and it still has the factory clutch, I bought it in March of 2008. I don't drive hard I only wanted to be able to go back out in the woods with confidence. No RZR broke down nor did I see anyone changing their belts and a 4 seater RZR 900 was what pulled me out. I shouldn't have to spend any more money on a vehicle that was made for the sole purpose of offroad use to use it offroad in the state I purchased it; on the only trails that the dealer said that they know I could use it on. The consumer protection act says that if you buy something it needs to do the very thing it's advertise for.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’m sure there are some rubber band riders that will gladly trade you. Good luck bud

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You must be doing something wrong. If you are on bunny trails the clutch shouldn’t burn up twice . If you are in steep rocky challenging stops and re start on an incline stuff that where to gear change is in order . What kind of situation are you in when your clutch fails ?? Are you in a rut or side of mountain or mud bog ? Are you on a flat smooth trail and all of a sudden bam your clutch is gone? I would like for you to find the problem so you can enjoy your ride .

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Probably should do the oil mod on the clutch . These things are geared pretty tall and a rekluse is just a bandaid but the oil mod without doubt will help you from burning up your clutch. Problem is it’s another $300.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Absolutely the oil mod & HD clutch spring and call it good. While the Barnet or Recluse provide more clamping force, with a lack of oil during slow crawls it will burn the clutch. Might also want to consider the 19 gears or 45/15. Did a hybrid ratio at 1100 miles, and with the oil mod the clutch looked new - and with much harder use than yours.
Would never go back to a rubber band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like to me at that bike from the wrong dealership sorry you had such bad luck sometimes it’s not the bike but dealership he went to I have a 2016 Yamaha YXZ 1000R The anniversary edition 60th yellow and I have had nothing go wrong yet except for a tire that I had to plug but then again every situation is different I hope things go better for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all your replies. I know at one point or another we've all experienced the broke machine blues! One of the best parts about riding is the community of riders and their willingness to take the time to get you out of the woods when you need help.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Kinda agree with the OP on this issue. Yamaha should've picked up the tab on my TW oiling mod and burnt clutch. The 70/30 gearing is really necessity or fix, just an option for those that may require it for their own riding conditions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yamaha first advertised the yxz for dunes and racing, not trails, which is why the gearing in the 16-18's sucks for a lot of riders especially on the east coast. BUT if you are really in easy trails the clutch is fine if driven properly, and no it doesn't matter how much manual transmission experience you have, clutch needs to be either in or out. Yxz's stock do not handle clutch slipping well at all, if you've burned up two clutches this fast on so called easier trials you're either really slipping the clutch on take offs, resting your foot on the clutch when you're moving but not realizing it since the pedal is super light, and/or once you got the recluse you were stopping and leaving it running in gear for an extended period of time, essentially slipping the hell out of the clutch.

I ride eastern Ohio and only rode about 150 miles before i did the 70/30 reduction, clutch mod, and 30" tires and i can tell you before I did it I thought i had made a mistake buying one. But i had done my research prior to buying and knew full well i would have to do the gear reduction. Unfortunately you'd lose more money trying to sell the thing and get another machine than if you just put in a gear reduction. If you are doing easy trails only, get the 19 gear set since it is way cheaper. But if you plan on riding tough terrain go 70/30/15, with clutch mod either way, and ditch the recluse, you bought a clutch use it, the recluse is just another thing that can go wrong and id never recommend one.

I've got over 1000 miles in very rough terrain not being easy on the clutch after gear reduction and I've never had a issue. Not bashing you at all but blame needs to be on dealer not Yamaha.

And breaking a cable on a winch is pretty much always user error

Reactions: ZUMNyxzSS

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have a 2019 YXZ SS SE now, but put 9K miles on a 2016 YXZ before the 2019. Even before the gear reduction, I was able to do some serious rock crawling (Moab). It was unfortunate the dealer was not more help here, but not all is lost if you take some advice from us fellow YXZers. The other manufacturers all have issues, I have been around the RZR crowd to the point where if I were a Polaris rep -- I would run and hide. I know the service manager at our local Polaris dealer, and his tech guys like Polaris because it is job security for them. Take a deep breath and think things through. The YXZ is really a great ride, that is why I went for number 2 after looking at the other machines out on the market when I decided to upgrade my 2016 YXZ.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I rode with a friend that has a 2016 special edition with the recluse. It really impressed me. He let me borrow it for a weekend. I showed it no mercy. We are in OH and ride in KY and TN. I came from 2 stroke 4 wheelers and I ended up getting a 2019. I agree that your dealer sucks. Mine was very cautious and asked my type of riding. I almost had to convince him that I knew what I was getting in to. I think if the clutch went out that quick something was probably not right and the dealer was trying to cover up their install.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Kinda agree with the OP on this issue. Yamaha should've picked up the tab on my TW oiling mod and burnt clutch. The 70/30 gearing is really necessity or fix, just an option for those that may require it for their own riding conditions.
I meant...The 70/30 gearing NOT really necessity or fix, just an option for those that may require it for their own riding conditions.

Reactions: Tweener
1 - 20 of 82 Posts