Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Each time you have smoked the clutch where have you been ? Trying to restart on a hill climb ? Stuck in mud hole? Trying to climb rock ledge after ledge? Can u describe what and where you are and why is going on . Like if you started in third gear with your mustang that’s a mistake and you would know not to do that again and could tell buy sound and feel that you are doing damage . After three times do you not feel and tell what the car is not capable of? I don’t get it is it like one minute clutch is there and next minute it’s not . Describe what is happening.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On stock gearing unless you do a decent bit of idle time 7.5 is pretty low. Im at around 5mph but I do have the 70/30 gear reduction, stock clutch too. When mine was stock anything around 7-8 mph was all the slower I could go without it lugging and with the recluse when youre going slower than this it could already start slipping the clutch possibly causing your issues. And if some of that time is idle time, are you leaving it in first gear while youre just sitting there?

For the last time listen to some of us trying to help, ditch the recluse, get a gear reduction that suits your needs, or sell the thing because too many of us ride slow hard terrain without issues because weve done the research and taken others advise. In October 2016 barely a year after they came out I bought mine but read through a couple hundred posts on the gear down and knew full well id be doing that before i hit 100 miles and have never been happier in a sxs ever since.

Reactions: johng99

·
Registered
285 Posts
$627.43 another burnt clutch even though I have a recluse. I'm disappointed I really needed this thing! I have an average speed of 7.5mph and I'm hearing that's to slow for a YXZ?
You're doing something wrong or there's something wrong with your buggy.

For driving manual/stick transmission, I always apply a '3 second rule'.

My 3 second rule is that my foot never TOUCHES the clutch pedal for more than 3 seconds at a time. My foot does not hover over the clutch pedal either.

What gearbox oil are you using? Is it motorcycle specific?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
You're doing something wrong or there's something wrong with your buggy.

For driving manual/stick transmission, I always apply a '3 second rule'.

My 3 second rule is that my foot never TOUCHES the clutch pedal for more than 3 seconds at a time. My foot does not hover over the clutch pedal either.

What gearbox oil are you using? Is it motorcycle specific?
So yeah I do to clutch on clutch off I'd say much faster than 3 sec and I'm tall so I don't hover with my foot over the pedal I rather like the pedal set up the dead pedal is in a good spot . The factory oil from the Yamaha dealer. LUB-10W40-AP-04.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Each time you have smoked the clutch where have you been ? Trying to restart on a hill climb ? Stuck in mud hole? Trying to climb rock ledge after ledge? Can u describe what and where you are and why is going on . Like if you started in third gear with your mustang that’s a mistake and you would know not to do that again and could tell buy sound and feel that you are doing damage . After three times do you not feel and tell what the car is not capable of? I don’t get it is it like one minute clutch is there and next minute it’s not . Describe what is happening.
The first clutch I was going to Maine and riding the fire roads, there gravel and there wide. There is connecting trails that you have to do some climbing but you can move fast there. Getting through the gates I have to use the clutch a bit more frequently because I only have about 2 inch on each side so I'm clutch on, clutch off a few times and reving the motor up for some power so I can get through slow enough. My mustang would stall out immediately if I started in 3rd because there's nothing wrong with it. So this time when the clutch went I noticed it in the higher rpm range not when in lower slower mph/rpm it was fine till I would push it. I drove it for about 8 hours the day before loving it! But now I'm thinking it must of been slipping because of how fast the rpm was climbing it did feel like the tires where spinning faster than I was moving kinda like a dirt bike roost. I've owned a few rice rockets 4 cylinder bikes that you need to keep the rpm up high and I loved them sport bikes. With this the more power I use the less it would pick up speed and the engine rpm would increase quickly and not spin the tires but increase speed at a slower rate. On the second day I drove it on the road to the gas station at 30/35mph and was in 4th and 5th gear at that point I thought it felt a little odd but not all that bad I got gas returned to the trails and basically stayed in 1st and 2nd gear. Thank you for your efforts helping me

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It’s just obvious you need to do a gear change . OR sell it with the new clutch in it .
I know my attitude is not one that represents someone who loves this machine but it really does fill a void in my life. My body has been screwed back together my top half is screwed to the bottom I'm lucky to be walking and this machine is a extention of my legs making it possible for me to get out to places that most don't care to go. I'm having a tough time negotiating me from the machine maybe it just needs a few screws like me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
On stock gearing unless you do a decent bit of idle time 7.5 is pretty low. Im at around 5mph but I do have the 70/30 gear reduction, stock clutch too. When mine was stock anything around 7-8 mph was all the slower I could go without it lugging and with the recluse when youre going slower than this it could already start slipping the clutch possibly causing your issues. And if some of that time is idle time, are you leaving it in first gear while youre just sitting there?

For the last time listen to some of us trying to help, ditch the recluse, get a gear reduction that suits your needs, or sell the thing because too many of us ride slow hard terrain without issues because weve done the research and taken others advise. In October 2016 barely a year after they came out I bought mine but read through a couple hundred posts on the gear down and knew full well id be doing that before i hit 100 miles and have never been happier in a sxs ever since.
I did research it and one of the reasons I bought it was I've never had any issues with standard on any vehicle; on road or offroad. I've had sport bikes, 4 wheelers, 3 wheelers,dirt bikes, mopeds. This is my first side by side and I've never owned cvt and I've never owned a Polaris just Honda yamaha and Kawasaki and Suzuki .

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
722 Posts
In all your post I still don't see you trying to solve your problem, just bitchin about it and talking about how you can drive a clutch. Please take everyone's advice and gear down or sell the thing so this thread will go away.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
From what u describe it sounds like the clutch was slipping. Raised RPM on dirt roads sounds like it’s slipping . I am at a loss . You better watch some u tube videos on that recluse because they are not intended to be like an automatic type clutch. You are supposed to treat it like a standard and in rough stuff it will keep you from stalling. You are supposed to raise the rpm then let the clutch out not let the clutch out and then gas it . You can do that only when you have to . I really don’t know what else to tell you it’s hard to tell if there is a problem with the car or driver error . Not knocking you it just may be in need of a regear for where you are using it . Research tube works clutch oil mod it is said that you can slip the clutch so much with that modification that the oil will get so hot it will smoke but not hurt the clutch pack . If there is anybody that could use that mod I would say you are a good candidate. One other thing when you put car in first gear and let clutch out there should be drag on the motor and car should start to creep on let’s say a flat driveway . If not the recluse needs adjusting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
From what u describe it sounds like the clutch was slipping. Raised RPM on dirt roads sounds like it’s slipping . I am at a loss . You better watch some u tube videos on that recluse because they are not intended to be like an automatic type clutch. You are supposed to treat it like a standard and in rough stuff it will keep you from stalling. You are supposed to raise the rpm then let the clutch out not let the clutch out and then gas it . You can do that only when you have to . I really don’t know what else to tell you it’s hard to tell if there is a problem with the car or driver error . Not knocking you it just may be in need of a regear for where you are using it . Research tube works clutch oil mod it is said that you can slip the clutch so much with that modification that the oil will get so hot it will smoke but not hurt the clutch pack . If there is anybody that could use that mod I would say you are a good candidate. One other thing when you put car in first gear and let clutch out there should be drag on the motor and car should start to creep on let’s say a flat driveway . If not the recluse needs adjusting.
I drive it like a true standard not like it has a auto clutch. Yeah I'm starting to think it's building up heat when under load meaning clutch out and maybe it's not getting the oil fast enough to dissipate the heat for higher speeds. The recluse seems to be working properly.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I talked to another forum member today who is putting a new clutch in a yxz in preparation form a three day ride Coming up and he told me at 3800 miles stock clutch that had the oil Mod done it almost looked new in fact they almost felt it was a waste of time . I know it’s a tuff take but to bad you didn’t go that route . If you have any other issues get on this forum and you will get good direction before you waste money . If you feel that engine gaining rpm on a dirt road and you are not spinning your wheels stop driving it as something is wrong

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a test for you to do . On a flat dirt road get going to third gear and apply throttle and brake to put load on the clutch. You should be able to put car to the floor and with brake you should be able to load the engine down to almost stall without the rpm gaining. While braking with the throttle down and rpm runs away something is wrong and you will have another failure.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So yeah I do to clutch on clutch off I'd say much faster than 3 sec and I'm tall so I don't hover with my foot over the pedal I rather like the pedal set up the dead pedal is in a good spot . The factory oil from the Yamaha dealer. LUB-10W40-AP-04.
Did you fully drain the oil that was in the gearbox when you bought the buggy?

I'm wondering if the previous owner used oil unsuited for a wet clutch. It wouldn't need much for the clutch to slip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Did you fully drain the oil that was in the gearbox when you bought the buggy?

I'm wondering if the previous owner used oil unsuited for a wet clutch. It wouldn't need much for the clutch to slip.
I bought it new and the Yamaha dealer did all the work. They do change the oil at least that's on the bill I'm trusting that they are being honest but who really knows.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts