Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to add a winch, stereo system and some lights. I was told that I would need to add an extra battery and maybe an alternator. I'm just curious what I can add with it stock? I definitely don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm wanting to add a winch, stereo system and some lights. I was told that I would need to add an extra battery and maybe an alternator. I'm just curious what I can add with it stock? I definitely don't want to mess anything up.
You can add a 4500 winch with it stock.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Add on what you want and use it like you want, while keeping an eye on your voltage before worrying about adding a second battery or alternator. As long as the voltage doesn’t go below 13v momentarily then you are fine. If you are constantly in the low 13v area and spending any time below 13, then you will need that battery and or alternator.

The stereo will matter most depending ok what you add. Some amplifiers (especially ones not designed for sxs use) can pull a ton of amperage and will drag down your electrical system.

The winch, not really. Just make sure the engine is running while you are winching.

·
Registered
268 Posts
when you say radio do you mean radio communication or stereo? comms arent bad, i run the PCI with kenwood upgrade which operates at 12v so no battery drain, the ICOM runs at 12+ and rugged also at 12+ so keep that in mind. you can also run a AGM battery like the Full Throttle which has more capacity so you can run it down more and not damage it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Add on what you want and use it like you want, while keeping an eye on your voltage before worrying about adding a second battery or alternator. As long as the voltage doesn’t go below 13v momentarily then you are fine. If you are constantly in the low 13v area and spending any time below 13, then you will need that battery and or alternator.

The stereo will matter most depending ok what you add. Some amplifiers (especially ones not designed for sxs use) can pull a ton of amperage and will drag down your electrical system.

The winch, not really. Just make sure the engine is running while you are winching.
Thank you for the info.

·
Administrator
2018 YXZ SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Heavyweight Flywheel, RR Intercom & Radio
362 Posts
Like K&M said, as long as your above 13v you should be fine. The winch is only a factor when your actually using it, and you prolly won't be listening to the stereo when you do.

I was running dual lighted whips, RR 5050 intercom, RR GMRS radio, and headlights as daytime running lights (required here). All that was fine until we started doing a lot more night riding. Once we started needing rock lights, roof and front light bars and upgrading to a Spal fan it started getting a bit more than the alternator could handle.

I did the whole debate between battery and 2nd alternator. In the end I chose a DLP 2nd alternator, All in was about $500.00 and 2 hours install. More than a straight 2nd battery, tray, associated wiring and relay, etc. But less once I factored in that I'd be replacing the 2nd battery sooner or later. And, realistically, a 2nd battery is just kicking the can down the road, the 2nd alternator actually fixed the problem. And since in my case I'm not usually out when SWMBO is running the trails I needed a slightly more bullet proof solution.

Just my .02, YMMV

Nate

Reactions: K&M

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like K&M said, as long as your above 13v you should be fine. The winch is only a factor when your actually using it, and you prolly won't be listening to the stereo when you do.

I was running dual lighted whips, RR 5050 intercom, RR GMRS radio, and headlights as daytime running lights (required here). All that was fine until we started doing a lot more night riding. Once we started needing rock lights, roof and front light bars and upgrading to a Spal fan it started getting a bit more than the alternator could handle.

I did the whole debate between battery and 2nd alternator. In the end I chose a DLP 2nd alternator, All in was about $500.00 and 2 hours install. More than a straight 2nd battery, tray, associated wiring and relay, etc. But less once I factored in that I'd be replacing the 2nd battery sooner or later. And, realistically, a 2nd battery is just kicking the can down the road, the 2nd alternator actually fixed the problem. And since in my case I'm not usually out when SWMBO is running the trails I needed a slightly more bullet proof solution.

Just my .02, YMMV

Nate
Thank you for the info. I will definitely be keeping an eye on voltage. I just ordered a Bluetooth sound bar for now. There's a lot of other stuff that I want to add before spending $1.5k-2k on a stereo.

·
Administrator
2018 YXZ SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Heavyweight Flywheel, RR Intercom & Radio
362 Posts
Thank you for the info. I will definitely be keeping an eye on voltage. I just ordered a Bluetooth sound bar for now. There's a lot of other stuff that I want to add before spending $1.5k-2k on a stereo.
Personally, I'd put that ca$h into a good cage and harness. I know thats a bit broken record, but I will say that I feel a lot better knowing that SWMBO is sitting under a cage I can trust. I did most of the upgrades over about 18 months, adding each as she found issues with the stock setup or that there was simply a better way. I'd hate to actually figure out how much has been added in upgrades. But when friends bought a bone stock '17 and asked what I had done the list was over 80 separate upgrades, changes or modifications.

Nate

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Personally, I'd put that ca$h into a good cage and harness. I know thats a bit broken record, but I will say that I feel a lot better knowing that SWMBO is sitting under a cage I can trust. I did most of the upgrades over about 18 months, adding each as she found issues with the stock setup or that there was simply a better way. I'd hate to actually figure out how much has been added in upgrades. But when friends bought a bone stock '17 and asked what I had done the list was over 80 separate upgrades, changes or modifications.

Nate
Dang that sounds like a lot. But I can definitely see how it's possible. I've already ordered some harnesses. After the first trip I could tell the seat belts weren't useful.

·
Administrator
362 Posts
Probably should keep in mind that my function is maintenance and modification. I don't drive.

So, I have a horrible habit of walking by it in her shop and thinking "Huh, I suppose I could....." and then heading over to my shop and fabricating a part, or modifying an OEM part.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Probably should keep in mind that my function is maintenance and modification. I don't drive.

So, I have a horrible habit of walking by it in her shop and thinking "Huh, I suppose I could....." and then heading over to my shop and fabricating a part, or modifying an OEM part.
Lol. I wish I had it like that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts