Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does it seem the ones that have went out have just gone out at once with no warning. Wouldn't it start slipping, or acting up in a way that would give you a heads up something is not right? In the past with bikes, quads and even a Jeep, l never have had one go completely out without knowing something wasn't right. I am fine if I have to cut a ride or trip short and limp it back to camp, but with no warning for it just to completely stop working is concerning.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That makes me think that maybe it's an issue with the clutch actuator hanging up.??????

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know from my dirt bikes wet clutches usually don't give you a warning they work or they don't. I have over 300 miles on my YXZ and no problem with my clutch or anything else for that matter. And I beat the hell out of it rocks, sand, track etc

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Why does it seem the ones that have went out have just gone out at once with no warning. Wouldn't it start slipping, or acting up in a way that would give you a heads up something is not right? In the past with bikes, quads and even a Jeep, l never have had one go completely out without knowing something wasn't right. I am fine if I have to cut a ride or trip short and limp it back to camp, but with no warning for it just to completely stop working is concerning.
Nate from Alba is working up a little "upgrade kit". Even tho I have raced something with a clutch for over 20 years now, I am far away from being a mechanic... but I am pretty sure they remove a spring that helps with "smoother" engagement, and they replace it with a couple of friction or steele plates. I am thinking it is an easy do it yourself job too.

I am like you, which means I will pay the little extra not to have to worry about this in the future. Sorta like when I bought the extra cooling vent for my xp1000 clutch... or when I replaced the OEM nut inside the Secondary clutch with in the Hardened steel one... or when I added Racer Tech braces below my Sway bar to keep the tabs from cracking... Or when I replaced the rubber hose going to the air box of our 570... and this list can go on and on too. LOL

That's what I mainly use these forums for... finding out their weak points, and fixing them before you need too!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Maybe the hydraulic clutch is different? I agree, my atv and dirtbike clutches would start to slip in the higher gears giving you some notice.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm thinking the clamping force from the stock clutch springs is marginal. If one doesn't ride the clutch peddle the clutch stays engaged and no issue.

Ride the clutch peddle and slip the clutch plates/disc's -- Heat is generated and the clutch slips to a point if one is stuck the engine simply rev's.

To this point -- Last month I went to look at a new machine that was taken to the sand and immediately it got stuck and toasted the clutch.

It's after this event that I went to look at the unit and it was driven out for me to inspect. Machine was cold and started. It was put into gear and moved 20' or so. At this point it had drive.

This leeds me to believe a spring upgrade is necessary -- More clamping force.

Any thoughts along these lines ??

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
We should have a few complete kits here tomorrow and I will post pictures and prices for everything. Sparky is accurate on his clamping pressure statement. Remember that this clutch pack does not use standard clutch springs like an ATV or dirtbike. The pressure plate has fingers more like an automotive clutch pressure plate...

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We should have a few complete kits here tomorrow and I will post pictures and prices for everything. Sparky is accurate on his clamping pressure statement. Remember that this clutch pack does not use standard clutch springs like an ATV or dirtbike. The pressure plate has fingers more like an automotive clutch pressure plate...

Nate
Alba Racing
So are you of the opinion this is not a supply of weak springs or plates etc, rather a issue that needs to be addressed on all machines? If so, why are the majority holding up? Thanks

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
So are you of the opinion this is not a supply of weak springs or plates etc, rather a issue that needs to be addressed on all machines? If so, why are the majority holding up? Thanks
Unfortunately, there are many factors that effect clutch wear and that makes it nearly impossible to place a blame on 1 thing. I feel that it is a combination of weak pressure, wasted fibers/metals, environment, and driver.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
260 Posts
Still waiting to see someone with a rekluse that has burned up early. One would think that with that set up the manufacturer would be less likely to blame operator error for a failure after 300 or 400 miles..

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Here is the only Rekluse review I have seen. This is from James @ JBS a very reputable Yamaha guy... just relaying info.

JBS Rekluse review

Well its a bandaid for too high of a first gear..soon as a lower first and reverse gear comes out I will be putting it in and taking the Rekluse back out...I liked the feel of direct drive without the Rekluse at idle speeds..it helps in some situations but liked it without better

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
260 Posts
That sucks for me.... The rekluse was a compromise I made with the wife to sell my cvt sxs.... Now with this heavy duty clutch.... Now what am I supposed to do..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts