Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed a 30" light bar on my YXZ. It was pretty easy so I thought would share it with you all. I purchased a Tusk 30"light bar kit for a 2016 Yamaha Viking for $250 from Rocky Mountain ATV. It was a complete kit with the mounting hardware and the wiring harness. The first step was to install the light. I removed the mounting brackets for the roof from the front and center cross bars to give me room to mount the hardware. I attached the L brackets to the mounts and then installed the mounts on the front cross bar right next to the outboard edge of the outside mounting bosses for the roof. Due to the height of the mounts, I had to use longer screws on the front roof brackets and a spacer on the front center roof bracket. Product Machine Machine tool Auto part Metal
Machine tool Machine Lathe Cylinder Metal lathe

Next was mounting the light. This is much easier with two people. I put the spacers on the outside of the L brackets to get things lined up or you could leave out the spacers and use shorter bolts. Once it was all squared up, I tightened down the bar clamps. Auto part Rear-view mirror Technology Automotive mirror Vehicle

I routed the wiring harness along the passenger's side of the roll cage towards the rear. I followed the rear of the cage down to the shoulder belt mount. Removing the seat makes this part easier. I ran the wires along the bar from the shoulder belt into the engine compartment. Above the bar, near center of the machine, there is a bundle of wires going into the battery box. Remove the battery box cover and you can see the wires on the passenger's side just behind the battery. I removed the small piece of foam to make it easier to pull the light wires through. The harness is the perfect length when routed this way. Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive exterior Hood
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system
Wire Cable Electrical wiring Technology Auto part

At this point you can install the switch and hook up the rest of the harness ( two wires to the battery and two to the light ) and be done with it. I decided to go another route. There is a bank of relays on the driver's side in front of the battery. I turned the key on and cycled the headlight switch. The rearmost relay operates the high beams. The one next to it ( second from the rear ) runs the low beams. I tapped into the low beam relay to turn on the relay for the light bar. Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Cable Technology

I cut the fuse holder off of the harness that came with the light bar and attached it to the positive terminal of the battery ( after disconnecting the negative side of the battery ). I ran this wire to the 30 terminal of the light bar relay ( you will need a good crimping tool, the relay from the light bar, and an additional 5 pin relay, and some terminals to do the wiring for this method ). On both the low beam and high beam relays the is a small blue wire with a colored trace and a small black wire. These are the wires used to turn on the relays. Run a wire from the small black wire to terminal 85 on the light bar relay and a wire from the blue wire to terminal 86. Attach a 14 ga wire from terminal 87 to terminal 30 on the second 5 pin relay. Run a wire from the small black wire on the high beam relay to terminal 85 on the second relay and a wire from the small blue wire to terminal 86. Attach the red wire from the light bar to terminal 87a ( the center blade ) on the second relay. DO NOT USE TERMINAL 87 ON THE SECOND RELAY. Electronics Technology Electronic device Transistor Circuit component
Electronics Technology Finger Electronic device Hand
Wire Cable Electrical wiring Electronics Technology

Hook up the ground wire ( black wire ) for the light bar when you reconnect the ground to the battery. Now when you turn on the low beams, the light bar comes on. When you switch to high beams, the second relay turns on and opens the circuit to the light bar and turns it off. I wired it this way so I could use the high beams for cruising through camps and the light bar when I'm out in the dunes or the desert. The low beams are on with the light bar as opposed to the high beams in an effort to stay within the electrical budget of the stock stator,

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Nice work! Thanks for the write up. Been thinking about a 30 for mine as well. Let us know how the electrical system handles it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At idle it was showing 14.2 volts with nothing on. With the high beams on, the voltage dropped to 14.1. With the low beams and the light bar on, the voltage was at 13.8. This is without the fan being on or using the power steering.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
At idle it was showing 14.2 volts with nothing on. With the high beams on, the voltage dropped to 14.1. With the low beams and the light bar on, the voltage was at 13.8. This is without the fan being on or using the power steering.
You should be fine, it probably only draws about 10 amps. You have 43 amps at idle and and 45 above 4000rpms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts