Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've ran into that same sort of problem. I run a Kraftwerks supercharger and nobody supports those except Kraftwerks that I've found. I wanted to tune with something other than the PCV but it seems that the only option is a stand alone ecu and that's more money than I want to spend.
Surely the Supercharger kits have some flash work too? I get the PCV piggyback can work for cleaning up the fueling, but adding FI to an NA ECU surely would require a lot more work with the backend Flashing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can actually add all the fuel with the Power Commander. It has its own MAP sensor so it sees boost. I also have the autotune box. It's just a pile of stuff to have added in. Kraftwerks now uses the Power Vision to tune their kits.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You can actually add all the fuel with the Power Commander. It has its own MAP sensor so it sees boost. I also have the autotune box. It's just a pile of stuff to have added in. Kraftwerks now uses the Power Vision to tune their kits.
Fueling is only so much. The OE ECU was designed for an NA engine, timing/fueling/etc all a part of that. Adding FI and using NA timing tables seems a bit odd, but there again I am not pro tuner and maybe it works ok with Supercharged FI.

·
Vendor
109 Posts
I've ran into that same sort of problem. I run a Kraftwerks supercharger and nobody supports those except Kraftwerks that I've found. I wanted to tune with something other than the PCV but it seems that the only option is a stand alone ecu and that's more money than I want to spend.
Hey Dan!

Get a PV3 and a Dynojet wideband sensor and I can help out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I already have the pcv, autotune, ignition module, and pod300. I'm not terribly far from having enough invested to have bought an emtron stand alone. I dont think I want to purchase more dynojet stuff for this build.

·
Vendor
109 Posts
I already have the pcv, autotune, ignition module, and pod300. I'm not terribly far from having enough invested to have bought an emtron stand alone. I dont think I want to purchase more dynojet stuff for this build.
Yeah sounds like you got a lot invested already. Was just going to say I obviously already have a base tune for 8psi on the PV3 and if you are trying to go a hair more than that it should be pretty easy to data log and tune it for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rob, from my understanding, the stock timing table is pretty soft. It can possibly work with 12psi boost with the right conditions and fuel. What a gamble with no knock sensors ,huh?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Rob, from my understanding, the stock timing table is pretty soft. It can possibly work with 12psi boost with the right conditions and fuel. What a gamble with no knock sensors ,huh?
Open loop and no knock sensors, could've done without that lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Just got off the phone with FTecu, the guy was pretty sure the ECU's are actually the same (physically) from OE to GYTR, but he wasn't 100%. Can anyone confirm this? I'd really hate to buy the FTecu setup and find I can't use my GYTR Turbo ECU, but would also be pretty cool to be able to flash either ECU (OE or GYTR) and use the other ECU when making changes on the bench (I realize would need a license for both).

EDIT: The part #'s do look the same, attached my '19 SS vs. Gen 1 GYTR ECU, so likely just the same aside the flash.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also looking into all of this as well. I have the full base gen 1 GYTR kit installed, and really want to just pull the trigger on the Alba stage 3 with injectors.

But, I also want to be able to have the machine custom dyno tuned down the road, as I build and inevitably want more power and upgrade.change components.

I need to call FT and Alba when life is less busy, but I've been collecting questions:
1. Flashtune has a yxz turbo tune, but charges an extra 100 dollars for it? Who's tune is this? Is it any good? Is it editable? Could it be [email protected]? map for turbo charge! for yxz1000r non spotshift ?
2. Does Alba just use FT software with their own custom map? Could this map be purchased as a FT file so I don't have to ship ECUs? map for turbo charge! for yxz1000r non spotshift ? - Page 3
3. Are some maps locked for reading? Is the factory GYTR map locked, or is it editable? Does any of this locking prevent us from purchasing Alba's ECU tune, registering our ECU with FT and reading/editing the map with FT? Am I not allowed to FT my own ECU after Alba does it without wiping it completely, leaving me with no factory tune to read and no alba tune if I want to FT? I don't want to scam anyone, but I want full control of my system, and not be vendor locked.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I'm also looking into all of this as well. I have the full base gen 1 GYTR kit installed, and really want to just pull the trigger on the Alba stage 3 with injectors.

But, I also want to be able to have the machine custom dyno tuned down the road, as I build and inevitably want more power and upgrade.change components.

I need to call FT and Alba when life is less busy, but I've been collecting questions:
1. Flashtune has a yxz turbo tune, but charges an extra 100 dollars for it? Who's tune is this? Is it any good? Is it editable? Could it be [email protected]? map for turbo charge! for yxz1000r non spotshift ?
2. Does Alba just use FT software with their own custom map? Could this map be purchased as a FT file so I don't have to ship ECUs? map for turbo charge! for yxz1000r non spotshift ? - Page 3
3. Are some maps locked for reading? Is the factory GYTR map locked, or is it editable? Does any of this locking prevent us from purchasing Alba's ECU tune, registering our ECU with FT and reading/editing the map with FT? Am I not allowed to FT my own ECU after Alba does it without wiping it completely, leaving me with no factory tune to read and no alba tune if I want to FT? I don't want to scam anyone, but I want full control of my system, and not be vendor locked.
A bunch of good questions. If I could rest assured that mapping would be good by just paying for one, man I'd love nothing more. But it seems like it is going to be a large crap shoot that will likely cause everyone pain and agony over the long term trying to ship back and forth. For this reason, plus my desire to make some custom tweaks, it seems the only way to do this is to just try to use the tools available and DIY.

At the moment I have the '19 OEM SS ECU, a Gen 1 GYTR Turbo SS ECU, and have ordered a Gen 2 GYTR Turbo SS ECU. It is doubtful the latter will come and more than likely the order will be cancelled and refunded, etc.; but the plan here is hopefully get it. Then get the FTecu, get licenses for all of my ECU's, and just hopefully download all of them and tweak them as I go. I may pay for that FTecu Turbo tune as well, but it could just be the same as the GYTR Turbo tune. Guess will have to order it and (hopefully) compare files to get that answer.

I am guessing that Alba and maybe some others use FTecu as well. Not sure if they are able to lock them though? I supposed they would if they could and I would not blame them at all for it; but no idea if anyone knows that answer. I also am guessing that the GYTR ECU's are not locked in anyway and have maps that can be downloaded and tweaked just like the OE ECU's.

Anyway I think you will find that there is not much sharing around here when it comes to any of this stuff, kind of a bummer for the YXZ peeps, but maybe this thread will help generate some long needed convo and info sharing.

Short term goal is to just have a responsive and very safe tune, but may get more and more aggressive as time goes on. Having some info on tuning this machine could make a tremendous difference, as not everything is a cookie cutter scenario.

Rob

·
Registered
956 Posts
I can't answer a lot of the questions, but one I can is relative to the licensing of the ECU and re-programming with a different FT set-up. You will have to buy another license for each programmer you intend to use. The license maps to the programmer/ECU combination. So even if Alba is using FT, the license for your ECU they obtain will not work for you on a different FT programmer set-up.

Reactions: RobBeck

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I can't answer a lot of the questions, but one I can is relative to the licensing of the ECU and re-programming with a different FT set-up. You will have to buy another license for each programmer you intend to use. The license maps to the programmer/ECU combination. So even if Alba is using FT, the license for your ECU they obtain will not work for you on a different FT programmer set-up.
All yet another reason to just start with DIY and gather your own empire. Plus if ever want to revert back to whatever map prior, etc. Just a huge huge headache.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The extra license and cost wouldn't bother me, but I'm pretty sure I read that if an ECU is tied to a different license, you have to wipe it to get it tied to another license, thus losing me the ALBA tune and the Factory tune. THATS the horror show I want to avoid, otherwise I'd pay alba the $900 for their injectors+stage3 tune and ship it, pay FT the 500 for the license and hardware, and have a known good base tune for my setup and tune as needed/if I find a shop to fine tune.

As it stands with what I know, I'm probably just going to get the tune+injectors+Slip-on from Alba, and eventually do the Engine Build + AFR + Boost controller and forget about FT. I love customization and tweaking things, but I don't think it's to be.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The extra license and cost wouldn't bother me, but I'm pretty sure I read that if an ECU is tied to a different license, you have to wipe it to get it tied to another license, thus losing me the ALBA tune and the Factory tune. THATS the horror show I want to avoid, otherwise I'd pay alba the $900 for their injectors+stage3 tune and ship it, pay FT the 500 for the license and hardware, and have a known good base tune for my setup and tune as needed/if I find a shop to fine tune.

As it stands with what I know, I'm probably just going to get the tune+injectors+Slip-on from Alba, and eventually do the Engine Build + AFR + Boost controller and forget about FT. I love customization and tweaking things, but I don't think it's to be.
Yeah that is a real bummer that you can't make any improvements to Mapping that ever had any prior work (has been tied to another FTecu) if you should decide to get one too, PLUS lose your original files for additional salt in the wound. If the tuner ever went under, stopped support, etc.; guess you'd have to get another ECU over it. The only way to really play it safe is to just not touch anything it seems, or do the same cookie cutter others do and still cross your fingers it is good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can possibly answer some of your questions
1. It's my understanding that FTECU no longer sells their turbo tune. They don't
want to be reliable.
2. Alba does not use FTECU. I just talked to Nate a couple weeks ago and although he didn't say what they use, he did day is not FTECU.
3. As for the ecu being locked, who knows. I emailed someone at FTECU awhile back and his thought was that I could get into the ecu with their software but would not necessarily be able to see or make changes to a previous non-factory tune. Nate at Alba wasn't exactly sure either. So it would be a gamble with your license. So I returned mine before trying

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
916 Posts
The license is tied to the cable and the ECU and the account. That being said you can have more than one license and ECU on the same cable and account. I have tuned several friends' ECU with my account and cable. It just costs $100 for each new license and it has to be bought through my account.

Reactions: RobBeck

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The license is tied to the cable and the ECU and the account. That being said you can have more than one license and ECU on the same cable and account. I have tuned several friends' ECU with my account and cable. It just costs $100 for each new license and it has to be bought through my account.
You have any turbo maps to your account?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts