Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can possibly answer some of your questions
1. It's my understanding that FTECU no longer sells their turbo tune. They don't
want to be reliable.
2. Alba does not use FTECU. I just talked to Nate a couple weeks ago and although he didn't say what they use, he did day is not FTECU.
3. As for the ecu being locked, who knows. I emailed someone at FTECU awhile back and his thought was that I could get into the ecu with their software but would not necessarily be able to see or make changes to a previous non-factory tune. Nate at Alba wasn't exactly sure either. So it would be a gamble with your license. So I returned mine before trying
Some good info. This is all looking to boil down to buying a canned tune, or find a tuner with a spare day to fudge around with FTECU without any base map to work from (unless FTECU can read the GYTR tune, which the whole chatter around "no turbo tunes" sounds like it might not.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Some good info. This is all looking to boil down to buying a canned tune, or find a tuner with a spare day to fudge around with FTECU without any base map to work from (unless FTECU can read the GYTR tune, which the whole chatter around "no turbo tunes" sounds like it might not.
I'll have the Gen 1 GYTR Turbo (SS) ECU accessibility via FTecu answer in a couple weeks. Hopefully this Gen 2 GYTR Turbo (SS) ECU order comes through also then I will be getting that one too. Just got my Gen 2 GYTR GT2554R Turbo (to add to my Gen 1 GYTR Turbo kit) so the Gen 2 GYTR ECU could be a bit more refined baseline.

What I thought I heard from FTecu was that their Turbo Tune was likely the Gen 1 GYTR Turbo tune, but could have some tweaks (no promises). Unfortunately they could not say a lot about its origination or for what it could be a good baseline for, but he did say he thought for sure that it if anything it would not be a ground up turbo tune when they'd already be able to use the GYTR tune as a baseline. He also made it seem like it doesn't matter if it is the OE or GYTR ECU, their tool should be able to work with it the same.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
983 Posts
Reactions: RobBeck

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Looks like my GYTR Turbo Gen 2 ECU (for SS) was amazingly an order-able item and has now shipped. Will be ordering the FTecu in the next couple days, and will thereafter find out if it will work with either of my GYTR Turbo ECUs (Gen 1 and 2).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks like my GYTR Turbo Gen 2 ECU (for SS) was amazingly an order-able item and has now shipped. Will be ordering the FTecu in the next couple days, and will thereafter find out if it will work with either of my GYTR Turbo ECUs (Gen 1 and 2).
Very good that it's gonna happen!
Been following this thread as I came across and purchased a used V1 kit for '19- later (in great condition) that does not have an ECU. Alba assures me that they can flash my stock 3 pedal ECU for it.
So all info in this thread is helpful to me. Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Very good that it's gonna happen!
Been following this thread as I came across and purchased a used V1 kit for '19- later (in great condition) that does not have an ECU. Alba assures me that they can flash my stock 3 pedal ECU for it.
So all info in this thread is helpful to me. Thanks
Yeah hopefully this helps others in the future. This is a well matured platform so it would be nice to actually get some info flowing, especially considering the nature of tuning the ECU's (not closed loop, no knock sensors, no ecu logging, etc) makes it difficult to ever get right if you ever deviate from the typical cookie cutter mods in any way.

Went ahead and ordered the FTecu today, so hopefully within the next week or two tops we can at least get some answers on whether the GYTR Turbo ECU(s) are locked or not (I am told it should not be). I am also really curious as to whether or not the OE ECU can be flashed to the GYTR specs as well, based on what I think I have heard it can be but we shall see.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
New Gen 2 GYTR Turbo (SS) ECU in hand as of today... all of my ECU #'s listed below.

1) 2019 YXZ SS Original Equipment
F8T86771
B5H-00
2) 2020 GYTR Gen 1 Turbo Kit SS
F8T86771
B5H-00
9Y14
Scribed: DA0920
3) 2022 GYTR Gen 2 Turbo Kit SS
F8T86771
B5H-00
Scribed: DA2122

It is worth adding about the scribed portion, I THINK it is like a tire production date. Meaning DA (ie. Date) and first 2 digits are week of year and second 2 digits are year. So for my Gen 1 ECU it was bought in 4/2020, so week 9 of 2020 makes some sense. In the case in of the Gen 2 ECU, it was just bought 6/2022 so week 21 of 2022 also makes sense. It is certainly possible the later the ECU production date, the base tuning could be a bit more refined.

Rectangle Font Line Red Magenta

Rectangle Font Box Electric blue Electronics accessory

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Ok, got the FTecu in hand the other day. Went to get it loaded and realized it doesn't work with any Mac stuff (which is all i have lol). So I went and bought a cheaper Laptop PC last night and got it loaded today.

Firstly it appears you can READ and create a file for as many ECU's as you want without using the license, so that is cool as I was able to read all 3 of mine (I suspect it will ask to use the license upon the first write). HOWEVER the scaling and some other table data looks corrupted with the GYTR ECU's? It seems that FTecu has to make a read/write template file for each ECU (different vehicles, etc) and I'm using the only template I can find in their selections which is for the YXZ OE ECU, so of course it worked fine to read my OE ECU but not the GYTR ECU's. I will call tomorrow to see if there is a better template file to choose; such that the GYTR ECU data doesn't come over with some corrupted data, scaling, and tables.

On the other hand the fueling table data did read well (minus the scaling) on the GYTR ECU's and I was able to compare their fueling tables. I'd heard this already but was able to confirm that BOTH the Gen 1 and Gen 2 GYTR Turbo ECU's DO have the exact same fueling (Map vs. RPM, TPS vs. RPM). Hopefully I can get all of the data read on the GYTR units over the next week or so to confirm they are all (entirely) the same, if so that means you could swap out the turbo from your Gen 1 or Gen 2 to the other and it would be tuned just the same as Yamaha had intended.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Rob
Did you happen to compare the timing tables between the original and gytr ecu? I'm curious if there is much difference.
The timing tables do not seem to be comparable at the moment, meaning that the software is not allowing it (comparing tables is a feature). I think there could be some file template issues amongst them, certainly some corruption as mentioned above. All said from what I can comb through at the moment appears to have some significant changes, so if you are turbo you definitely want to start with the turbo ECU mapping. Will verify this once I get a better understanding of how to get a good read/file generated for the GYTR Turbo ECU.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Have emailed both GYTR Turbo (Gen 1 and 2) ECU read files to FTecu. They are supposed to look at them and check definitions, said should be able to correct everything within a couple of days. If everything works out and they are onboard I'll suggest that they put them on their website to make everyone trying to turbo their YXZ lives easier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have emailed both GYTR Turbo (Gen 1 and 2) ECU read files to FTecu. They are supposed to look at them and check definitions, said should be able to correct everything within a couple of days. If everything works out and they are onboard I'll suggest that they put them on their website to make everyone trying to turbo their YXZ lives easier.
This is awesome news! I'm still concerned about running an open loop system in general, but really don't want to drop 4k on a full closed loop system. I'm excited to see what you come up with using the FTecu.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
This is awesome news! I'm still concerned about running an open loop system in general, but really don't want to drop 4k on a full closed loop system. I'm excited to see what you come up with using the FTecu.
I know right? This has been a pretty big headache already, but would really like to have some tune-ability to support some customized mods without going full standalone or having the extra piggyback stuff. I cant be alone there and hopefully this thread helps others in similar situations.

Hopefully FTecu has some good news about the GYTR definitions tomorrow or early week, if not will be calling then for a check-in.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Update from FTecu:
"This item had to be bumped from our short to our long list as it requires a software update to complete.. We are testing a release for the end of the month and we plan to revisit these files once we push the update."

So looks like we will be waiting for a bit longer on them to get this going.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
983 Posts
Update from FTecu:
"This item had to be bumped from our short to our long list as it requires a software update to complete.. We are testing a release for the end of the month and we plan to revisit these files once we push the update."

So looks like we will be waiting for a bit longer on them to get this going.
I think that might be FTecu's standard answer. Here is a post from a thread a while back about FTecu:

Update for those looking at the Active Tune option. Emailed Flash Tune a year later after my 1st inquiry about Active Tune for YXZ. See post #115. This is the response this past week from my 2nd inquiry.

Hi, We still plan on releasing it, but it is in prototype stages as of now. Thank you

Since I can't wait any longer, I went ahead and ordered Bazzaz Z-FI unit and Z-AFM module. I have flash tune bike side installed, but I'm no pro to be doing actual tuning. So I'll just be running this Bazzaz as piggyback to get it dialed in. Explored other options to get flash done, but I think this will be best for my hybrid parts build. I have the Full Graves flash currently. I'll be installing GYTR camshaft, Alba Airbox Spacer, GYTR stacks, and will send off cylinder head to Dasa this weekend. Not happy about the expense of having additional system to fine tune AFR, but it is what it is.

This thread is a must-read if you are interested in Ftecu programing. Here is the whole thread:
Flash Tune | Yamaha YXZ Forums (yxztalk.com)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I think that might be FTecu's standard answer. Here is a post from a thread a while back about FTecu:

Update for those looking at the Active Tune option. Emailed Flash Tune a year later after my 1st inquiry about Active Tune for YXZ. See post #115. This is the response this past week from my 2nd inquiry.

Hi, We still plan on releasing it, but it is in prototype stages as of now. Thank you

Since I can't wait any longer, I went ahead and ordered Bazzaz Z-FI unit and Z-AFM module. I have flash tune bike side installed, but I'm no pro to be doing actual tuning. So I'll just be running this Bazzaz as piggyback to get it dialed in. Explored other options to get flash done, but I think this will be best for my hybrid parts build. I have the Full Graves flash currently. I'll be installing GYTR camshaft, Alba Airbox Spacer, GYTR stacks, and will send off cylinder head to Dasa this weekend. Not happy about the expense of having additional system to fine tune AFR, but it is what it is.

This thread is a must-read if you are interested in Ftecu programing. Here is the whole thread:
Flash Tune | Yamaha YXZ Forums (yxztalk.com)
I think the FTecu Autotune was probably best handled by Closed loop systems, and when they realized the YXZ was open loop it put a whole other set of efforts on the project. While that would be nice I can see how it would be tough to get something like this operational, especially if trying to reflash for the updates as opposed to piggybacking. All said I have not followed these systems around and don't know if the Autotune is already functional for other machines that are Open loop or not? If so, the YXZ shouldn't be much different for them.

Hopefully simply defining the YXZ GYTR Turbo ECU doesn't fall down the same pit to never be seen again, but I will be following up with them next in 2 weeks and will stay on top of them thereafter, keeping in mind I'd bought this thing after a several conversations with them and they'd told me they thought it should work.

Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the FTecu Autotune was probably best handled by Closed loop systems, and when they realized the YXZ was open loop it put a whole other set of efforts on the project. While that would be nice I can see how it would be tough to get something like this operational, especially if trying to reflash for the updates as opposed to piggybacking. All said I have not followed these systems around and don't know if the Autotune is already functional for other machines that are Open loop or not? If so, the YXZ shouldn't be much different for them.

Hopefully simply defining the YXZ GYTR Turbo ECU doesn't fall down the same pit to never be seen again, but I will be following up with them next in 2 weeks and will stay on top of them thereafter, keeping in mind I'd bought this thing after a several conversations with them and they'd told me they thought it should work.

Rob
Yes it's irritating when you talk to a couple people that say it will work and then once you buy it, it doesn't and no one can help to make it work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Yes it's irritating when you talk to a couple people that say it will work and then once you buy it, it doesn't and no one can help to make it work.
For sure! I am optimistic it'll all work out as the last call I made they said it would only take a couple days to define it once I get them the files, and they can dedicate the time to it. Definitely made it seem like no big deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For sure! I am optimistic it'll all work out as the last call I made they said it would only take a couple days to define it once I get them the files, and they can dedicate the time to it. Definitely made it seem like no big deal.
Hopefully you are right. Are you waiting to get a final answer before you start installing the kit?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hopefully you are right. Are you waiting to get a final answer before you start installing the kit?
I've been preparing by ordering up a bunch of hardware substitutes of the GYTR Turbo Gen 1 kit (ie. Gen 2 radiator/IC conversion, fab'ing full aluminum outlet plumbing with better clamps and couplers, secondary air injection delete, Diverter addition, AEM gauges, etc); trying to prepare for install within a couple of weeks. The kit is going on at this point and the plan is to just try to familiarize self with how the WB02 reacts for a while and hopefully by then FTecu has this all ready so I can try to tackle tuning it for the final custom exhaust addition.

Would much rather have some tune done by Alba to end the saga, but sounded like what they had may only be a starting point, considering the custom exhaust I'm using is quite a bit more free flowing than for what they have their tune calibrated. With that it likely would mean a constant effort trying to get it right and being long distance would not make that easy.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts