Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been preparing by ordering up a bunch of hardware substitutes of the GYTR Turbo Gen 1 kit (ie. Gen 2 radiator/IC conversion, fab'ing full aluminum outlet plumbing with better clamps and couplers, secondary air injection delete, Diverter addition, AEM gauges, etc); trying to prepare for install within a couple of weeks. The kit is going on at this point and the plan is to just try to familiarize self with how the WB02 reacts for a while and hopefully by then FTecu has this all ready so I can try to tackle tuning it for the final custom exhaust addition.

Would much rather have some tune done by Alba to end the saga, but sounded like what they had may only be a starting point, considering the custom exhaust I'm using is quite a bit more free flowing than for what they have their tune calibrated. With that it likely would mean a constant effort trying to get it right and being long distance would not make that easy.
I would like to go the standalone ecu route but can't bring myself to buy Motec. And I haven't saw much of anyone using Emtron ecus.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I would like to go the standalone ecu route but can't bring myself to buy Motec. And I haven't saw much of anyone using Emtron ecus.
Havent even priced one out, no idea what they go for but know the Motecs aren't cheap. If this deal goes bad with the FTecu then gonna probably be stuck doing the back and forths trying to get tuned remotely, the Motec route, or just leaving it with the standard Exhaust and moving on with life.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
984 Posts
The reasion for the post I cited was the fact that Ftecu has already provided autotune for many of the motorcycles you can tune with them. The OP of that thread was stating that he had requested INFO on the YXZ for autotune over a year before that post and they said they were working on it and he asked FTecu and again they said they were working on it. So when they told you they were working on it take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The reasion for the post I cited was the fact that Ftecu has already provided autotune for many of the motorcycles you can tune with them. The OP of that thread was stating that he had requested INFO on the YXZ for autotune over a year before that post and they said they were working on it and he asked FTecu and again they said they were working on it. So when they told you they were working on it take that with a grain of salt.
Do you know if they have Autotune for any other open loop setups? If so do they have some sort of piggyback in the mix? I really don't know. Guess I'm just wondering if in that scenario they realized this setup is open loop a little too late and were like "ohhhh no whoops can't do it without a lot of work cuz this is open loop!".

Anyway, tough to say what will happen here, but doesn't seem like would be too much of a task. So for now willing to give the benefit of the doubt and trying to be hopeful they can write some basic definitions so the file can be entirely read properly, and they are not going to shake me very easy after this latest bump (ie. first was "couple days", then a "couple/few weeks"). Ultimately this platform really needs some support as far as I can tell, without proper support it is really going to stagnate.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
984 Posts
You might want to go back and read the thread. It mentions FTecu having autotune for some of the platforms they service. Or better yet talk to FTecu.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
You might want to go back and read the thread. It mentions FTecu having autotune for some of the platforms they service. Or better yet talk to FTecu.
Just googled FTecu auto tune,

If you look at all the platforms it works with, as suspected, are closed loop systems from the factory. Closed loop makes developing auto tune much easier, and they probably had assumed the YXZ was closed loop, so initially thought auto tune was likely to be easy feat. Hopefully a bad example of how they operate and likely a big communication breakdown.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
984 Posts
You can autotune without closed loop other piggyback tuners do it. You do need an O2 sensor though. FTecu could offer an O2 add-on interface but it seems they are more interested in software.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
You can autotune without closed loop other piggyback tuners do it. You do need an O2 sensor though. FTecu could offer an O2 add-on interface but it seems they are more interested in software.
We can go to the moon if we want, so sure it can be done. The point is that it seems FTecu's direction with their autotune was already developed around closed loop systems, so it seems anyway from my poking around earlier. And with that I'm betting they made a off the hip doofus claim that they'd do something without looking very much into it, and after they did realized they'd have to reinvent the wheel to make it work. With that I would not hold it (too much) against them, it could be a tremendous amount of R&D, with very little potential for recovering costs.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
984 Posts
Ok well, let us know when you hear back from them. I personally am not holding my breath. Don't get me wrong I have their system and like the convenience, if they have what you're looking for. It works for me and my naturally aspirated friends as I have tuned 5 cars with it.

Reactions: RobBeck

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Ok well, let us know when you hear back from them. I personally am not holding my breath. Don't get me wrong I have their system and like the convenience, if they have what you're looking for. It works for me and my naturally aspirated friends as I have tuned 5 cars with it.
Keeping hopes high here and will 100% push for results that were suggested would be there prior to purchase. In some of my upcoming convos with them will also ask them what happened with that autotune project.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Just pinged FTecu and based on their reply it seems like the feet are still dragging, and with that I'm leaning towards bailing on them sooner than later. Maybe going Motec or ?? I've sent a less friendly email asking to shoot me straight and a date so I can decide upon how to move on with my life.

@leadmic looks like your lower hopes may have been a bit more inline with reality, will see how the next response goes before I abandon them all together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had a nice chat with Ken at Push Turbo on the phone today.

The $1100 is verified as a bare ECUMasters EMU Black ECU. It's the same as what Larue is offering with support and cables for 3x the price: Yamaha YXZ Plug-and-Play ECU Engine Management System

It sounded like he didn't support it much we were on our own with wiring, and he wasn't sure about SS/MCU/TCU compatibility, but he assumed it would just be a few signal wires(might very well be). I forgot to ask him about the YXZ can-bus interfacing.

He said he has some base tunes for it to get into the neighborhood, and then could use the ECU autotune and/or closed loop from there. I forgot to ask him if the tunes were locked or not. I assume not with the ability to modify them.

He said a good middle ground could be the PCV, which would give some telemetry, have it's own dash tool and would provide the closed-loop safety net I want.

He's also working on an EMTron solution he says will be drop-in plug and play for ~$3000.

If I had a 3 pedal, I'd have an EMU Black+ 4.9 Lambda + knock sensor + 2/3 EGT probes on order right now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Had a nice chat with Ken at Push Turbo on the phone today.

The $1100 is verified as a bare ECUMasters EMU Black ECU. It's the same as what Larue is offering with support and cables for 3x the price: Yamaha YXZ Plug-and-Play ECU Engine Management System

It sounded like he didn't support it much we were on our own with wiring, and he wasn't sure about SS/MCU/TCU compatibility, but he assumed it would just be a few signal wires(might very well be). I forgot to ask him about the YXZ can-bus interfacing.

He said he has some base tunes for it to get into the neighborhood, and then could use the ECU autotune and/or closed loop from there. I forgot to ask him if the tunes were locked or not. I assume not with the ability to modify them.

He said a good middle ground could be the PCV, which would give some telemetry, have it's own dash tool and would provide the closed-loop safety net I want.

He's also working on an EMTron solution he says will be drop-in plug and play for ~$3000.

If I had a 3 pedal, I'd have an EMU Black+ 4.9 Lambda + knock sensor + 2/3 EGT probes on order right now.
I'd need to see some actual 3rd party reviews to put too much into it, I know I have seen many running the Motec so I'd rather just pay for it than regret being a guinea pig on something relatively new. I also have an SS so it could be a dealbreaker there right off.

Still plan on putting together with OE exhaust and running it in a bit like that, but REALLY want to expand from there and when I do I need to have this freaking tuning debacle figured out. Still haven't lost all hope for FTecu but it has really degraded.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Never got a response after last email from FTecu (9 days ago) and it is has been exactly 1 month since I first reached out, keep in mind I was told it would only take a day or two to define the GYTR ECU at that time.

Anyway I have now sent another email requesting some certain ETA and indicated that there was a community following of this ordeal, or to provide some direction upon how to return this unit. If this email also goes on ignore for another week I'll be calling directly to return the tool, with zero interest in moving forward with them whatsoever as all I am asking for is them to level with me and give me some approximate (yet relatively certain) ETA.

At this point my hopefulness is nearly all deflated, I am pretty certain I'll just be going with a Motec if it comes to further modifications.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Never got a response after last email from FTecu (9 days ago), and it is has been exactly 1 month since I first reached out. I sent another email requesting some certain ETA and indicated that there was a community following of this ordeal, or to provide some direction upon how to return this unit. If this email also goes on ignore for another week I'll be calling directly to return the tool, with zero interest in moving forward with them whatsoever. At that point I am pretty certain I'll just be going with a Motec if it comes to further modifications.
I had bought the FTecu stuff from Revzilla and had no issue returning it once I figured out it wasn't for me. Surely whomever you got it from will take it back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I had bought the FTecu stuff from Revzilla and had no issue returning it once I figured out it wasn't for me. Surely whomever you got it from will take it back.
I have just a tiny bit of hopefulness that they will come through, but also don't want to wait on an ignore list indefinitely either. I bought it directly from FTecu, but yeah I'll call them about a return if there is no reply again next week.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Another week gone by, but I did get a response to todays ping, that this request has now made the top of the priority list. So once again have asked for some approximate completion date with that in mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another week gone by, but I did get a response to todays ping, that this request has now made the top of the priority list. So once again have asked for some approximate completion date with that in mind.
Are you still optimistic? Or do you think they're just dragging their feet waiting for you to stop bugging them? I'm not so much the optimistic type. I lose hope quickly.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Are you still optimistic? Or do you think they're just dragging their feet waiting for you to stop bugging them? I'm not so much the optimistic type. I lose hope quickly.
At this point Im optimistic that FTecu will complete the request, but not so optimistic that this ECU will be my long term solution. One thing is for sure I am not going anywhere until I get either a solution or the unit is returned.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts