Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

This is from our resident racer from Arctic Cat on the Wildcat Forums. He was at Heydays talking to the Yamaha reps:

From the Yamaha staff that was at haydays to ask questions:

Crawling : not designed for that. It's intended as a desert racer/duner. The hillclimb/mudder/crawler groups will have to wait for what's coming next. A recluse clutch will help if you used it in that application but clutch changes will be frequent as it was never intended or designed for that. Shifting without a clutch will cause significant premature wear on the clutch, I asked about something like a PCV with a ignition interrupter/shift assist and he said if it comes out that would be the ticket for clutchless shifts.

This is from one of the guys on their R&D staff, not a salesman or sales rep. They came to haydays with both barrels loaded to promote this thing the guy didn't studder or give me random answers when I asked all sorts of questions about it. I also watched one of the Yamaha sled reps get destroyed off free beer at the Fox party. pretty damn entertaining to watch him stumble around.

Unless you lift off the gas completely to allow the recluse to free wheel yes. I asked him about the Recluse and he said it would help with alot of the wear on take off but a clutch will be detrimental to some operators that don't know how to operate it. He said in the desert where your WFO is where the clutch shines over the CVT , if you're in an area where you shift a lot the CVT will be better.

He also told me (and I'm fully ready for the "experts" to flame away on this) that running the turbo on stock tires/gears will cause you to have to shift more frequently. You could throw on larger tires to counteract this but at that point you're stressing the drive-line as its not calibrated for that in the axles and gears. They have no plans at this time to produce other gears of other ratios. If you run larger then stock tires on the stock motor you would be geared crazy high and it too will cause premature clutch wear. Another benefit of the simplicity of changing clutching in a CVT to match engine mods.

Somewhat just because he confirmed what I was wondering about, but competition for us as consumers is a good thing, if its a quality machine that is a home run it would force the other 3 to work harder to produce. Id like to see a home run hit but seeing the Dyno charts, after a claimed 15% loss in the driveline only to find out it was much more then that its pretty disheartening to wonder what else was claimed that isn't such. It'll be great to see how it really performs against a CVT in a non biased shootout now that the production models are out.

We actually had a really constructive talk for about an hour. His words that stuck in my head was "this is just the tip of the iceberg for whats next from us"

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is just information, don't shoot the messenger. Still need to drive one for myself, before I make a decision.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmm...so adding larger tires will wear the clutch faster? It's just one man's opinion in the end and they probably haven't even test larger tires on it so he's probably just speculating. So adding the Rekluse will not allow us to safely shift without the clutch?

·
Registered
753 Posts
This isn't one random dudes opinion. This info. above is coming directly from Yamaha rep themselves that knows the ends and out of this machine.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Don't see how not using
the clutch to shift will wear it faster. I have never replaced the clutch on wr 426 and I only use it to start and stop. Raced shifter karts for 10 yrs and NEVER replaced a clutch and only used it to also start and stop. Tractor tailers only use the clutch to start and stop. Just let off the throttle and it will float into the next gear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
"The hillclimb/mudder/crawler groups will have to wait for what's coming next"
"this is just the tip of the iceberg for whats next from us"

That's an interesting statement right there......................................................

·
Registered
225 Posts
"The hillclimb/mudder/crawler groups will have to wait for what's coming next"

That's an interesting statement right there......................................................
That would b a great addition seeing that where im from thats what we do so for now we mudders and climbers hang on to our money and hopefully mayb next yr they will have it figured out time will tell and all the new sxs 's will b making big changes so we will have many different choices The only problem with these changes is pricing in yrs to come we will b spending 30k on a sxs lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
This information was obvious from the start just by looking at the information available if the person looking wasn't looking through the glass of koolaid.

The shifting dogs in the transmission is what will wear out, not the clutch. I think that info was misinterpreted.
I agree. On a big rig it takes five seconds to shift because you have to feather the throttle and get the RPMs to match. I used to have a 900 Kawasaki street bike and I would shiift sometimes without using the clutch but you can tell that it's not the best thing to do if you want the thing to live a long life. if you notice on the Alba Dino run it said that there was only a 1000 RPM difference between fourth and fifth. That's what allows you to shift without the clutch is because the two gears are so close to each other and ratio. But it's still not the best thing to do if you want the transmission.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Great in finding this out

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lol... since when do people limit themselves to what a machine is designed to do? The aftermarket world will allow people to turn the YZX into what they want it to be. Windrock mountain will eventually be "crawling" with them. Personally, I'm going to try and stay away from the rocks. Nice site seeing trails on my list.

·
Registered
762 Posts
LOL, ALEX lS USUALLY TIGHT LIPPED ON MOST THINGS.

·
Registered
762 Posts
l GUESS WE KNOW WHAT THE 4 MODEL IS GOING TO BE NOW. A EAST COAST YXZ.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Guys,

This is from our resident racer from Arctic Cat on the Wildcat Forums. He was at Heydays talking to the Yamaha reps:

Crawling : not designed for that. It's intended as a desert racer/duner. The hillclimb/mudder/crawler groups will have to wait for what's coming next. A recluse clutch will help if you used it in that application but clutch changes will be frequent as it was never intended or designed for that. Shifting without a clutch will cause significant premature wear on the clutch, I asked about something like a PCV with a ignition interrupter/shift assist and he said if it comes out that would be the ticket for clutchless shifts.

This is from one of the guys on their R&D staff, not a salesman or sales rep. They came to haydays with both barrels loaded to promote this thing the guy didn't studder or give me random answers when I asked all sorts of questions about it. I also watched one of the Yamaha sled reps get destroyed off free beer at the Fox party. pretty damn entertaining to watch him stumble around.

Unless you lift off the gas completely to allow the recluse to free wheel yes. I asked him about the Recluse and he said it would help with alot of the wear on take off but a clutch will be detrimental to some operators that don't know how to operate it. He said in the desert where your WFO is where the clutch shines over the CVT , if you're in an area where you shift a lot the CVT will be better.

He also told me (and I'm fully ready for the "experts" to flame away on this) that running the turbo on stock tires/gears will cause you to have to shift more frequently. You could throw on larger tires to counteract this but at that point you're stressing the drive-line as its not calibrated for that in the axles and gears. They have no plans at this time to produce other gears of other ratios. If you run larger then stock tires on the stock motor you would be geared crazy high and it too will cause premature clutch wear. Another benefit of the simplicity of changing clutching in a CVT to match engine mods.

Somewhat just because he confirmed what I was wondering about, but competition for us as consumers is a good thing, if its a quality machine that is a home run it would force the other 3 to work harder to produce. Id like to see a home run hit but seeing the Dyno charts, after a claimed 15% loss in the driveline only to find out it was much more then that its pretty disheartening to wonder what else was claimed that isn't such. It'll be great to see how it really performs against a CVT in a non biased shootout now that the production models are out.

We actually had a really constructive talk for about an hour. His words that stuck in my head was "this is just the tip of the iceberg for whats next from us"
Just FYI , they never claimed it was a 15 percent drive train loss. The statement made was 15 to 20 percent less than a CVT. I have been saying from the get go that a manual has close to the same loss. It's not just the Trans eating horsepower. With that said I still think it's a better system, that's just my opinion and you know what they say.

Tim

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Guys,

That's good stuff Hollywood. Reinforces my hopes about that clutch. I'll be without the Recluse. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
404 Posts
...btw, I think the best info there is about the turbo. I always wondered how a forced induction would impact the shifting. I think I posted somewhere else in here that I think the best option may be NA mods and gearing. I guess the most disheartening thing I read above is that there may not be options in the diff. Shoots man. Still hoping for the best. And hey, if I don't like it as much and they come out with something better next year, I agree going into it that I may lose my shorts a bit by trading it in. That, I believe is the cost of enthusiasm.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts