Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We did a couple days ride. About 200 miles total. Was more of a scenic "check out the waterfalls and the sights" kind of trip.

Here is a link to the map of where we went.
Hurley to Mercer to Superior

South of Hwy 77 was mostly dust choked gravel roads or "rails to trails" stuff. Couple of "let's play in the mud areas" and a couple "wind her up and let's scoot (till you hit the posted 45 MPH... sigh).

North of 77 coming out of Upsom were some very nice trails. Minimal dust, lots of rocky hill climbs. Winding trails but not too many hairpin turns. Almost leisurely at about 35 - 40. Ok, leisurely if you have a 5 pt harness and call the "oh shit bar" your closest friend. AKA. Meh, good trail.

Plenty of sights to see, we bypassed quite a few looking for gas and pizza, and nerve tonic for me.

The state may say Iron County is #3 trails in the state, but I'm not seeing it. They have some really awesome trails. But quite a few are gravel and dust.

BLUF. Stay north of 77. Oh, and unlike "bars" in most of Wisconsin, quite a few we came across did not, or no longer serve food.

Sky Plant Vegetation Tree Truss bridge

CNW Bridge over the old Soo Line, now the trail into Hurley.
46.350683,-90.241047

Plant Vehicle Nature Sky Wheel

Technically only open to pedestrians SWMBO walked Buggy across.

Water Water resources Plant Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

Spring Camp Falls.

Water Plant Spring Natural landscape Branch

Superior Falls if you don't walk around the point for the good view.

Water Water resources Sky Plant Natural landscape

If you walk around the point.

Plant Plant community Bedrock Tree Grass

Walk around the point and its awesome! But make sure you turn around and see whats about to fall on your head....

Water Sky Vehicle Cloud Asphalt

Almost forgot. Did the traditional "Dipping of the Tires" in the great Nort Ocean. LOL
Sky Motor vehicle Wheel Hood Vehicle

And of course no trail ride in Wisconsin is complete without a B double E double R U N.
New Glarus brewing of course!

Nate

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,076 Posts
That's an awesome place! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: WWARt

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been snowmobiling there quite a lot back in the day and it is a great place. Also went dirt biking once and it was cool too. Never had my YXZ there but it would be fun. It's cool to hang with the Youper's, eh?

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah der hay der Vern. She goin good der? ;)

You really should consider the trail from Upsom around to Saxon. That was pretty awesome.

We wanted to cross over into MI, but when we tried to get to the trail just below Superior Falls it was nearly impassable. We probably would have tried it, but it was getting late and the idea of winching each other out in the dark just didn't sound like fun.

Thinking over Columbus day weekend that we might try Dead Horse Run. Then use the routes to get over to Upsom and run up to Saxon. Have a late lunch. Then reverse back, ending up in Loretta for a late dinner before heading back to Rice Lake.

Nate

·
Registered
80 Posts
dead horse run didnt live up to its hype for me still cool area non the less we went up to florence wi last weekend and got up in the u.p
The trails in the u.p are kind like rail beds with great scenery(well where we were) i really want to get to iron county have not been there pics look good

·
Administrator
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@madmat Were doing Dead Horse over Columbus Day weekend. Wanted to do Flambeau at the same time but its just not going to happen. Instead we'll ride from Birchwood on the Tuscobia trail to get there.. So we'll do a bit of leaf peeping on the way over. And figure the return will be after dark.

I did like the trails in Iron County, but was not thrilled with the routes. The ride to Mercer from Hurley was railbed with plenty of unannounced detours onto paved roads. That said, there was about 5 miles of trail North East of Mercer that was ok. But it wasn't worth the trip to get there.

There was supposed to be a trail just South of Superior Falls, it showed on Polaris App but no where else. From the signage it might be snowmobile only. We did check it out but it looked nearly impassible in one area. I wish we could have run some of the trails in MI to get a feel for what they have to offer. Maybe next spring.

Have you run the Cheese head trail before? Heard both good and bad. Curious what to expect. Scenery? Or fun?

Nate

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have done the cheese trail many times as it is close to me (45min) i have also done the Flambeau as well we left from park falls kinda slow going and i remember lots of small boulders.

The trail i road that got me to the dead horse run was cooler then dead horse run .not saying its bad its an awesome area.I think if i cant go kinda fast i complain about it LOL

the cheese trail is pretty dang boring in my opinion speed limit of 30 .WE go because its the closet thing around and will take what we can get being in the land of imprisoned governors .

I look forward to hearing what you think and seeing that cool map app that you use so i can see if its the same trails i did

·
Administrator
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, change 2.... We're riding from Birchwood to Loretta. About 50 miles, so I figure 2 hours accounting for traffic and potty breaks. Thats the "ooohhhh look at the pretty leaves" portion of the ride. LOL But we're taking the time to check out some of the side trails along the way. See if there are some trails we want to come back and check out later. Thats how we found a bunch of shorter trails that are a lot of fun off Wild Rivers trail.

Did you come down from Mellen area? Was looking at just looping Dead Horse. But if the trail up to Cayuga is worth the ride we can always add that to the itinerary.

We'll probably try the Cheesehead just so we can say we did it. But when we do We'll probably take along some of our slower friends. LOL.

Starting to look at some of the trails over in Viking country. Seems they've really started to open things up over there. Have you ever tried the trails in Nevada?

Nate

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nevada the state? if so no i have not .
Not sure what trail we were on that got us to the dead horse run we came from park falls

i dint know where viking county is google maps shows a town in Wisconsin named viking is that it?

well my friend is talking about going to iron co second weekend in oct i have never been so hope we take the trip

·
Administrator
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, Viking countRy. aka Minnesota. Autocorrect must have kicked in, was asking about Nemadji State Forest. Nemadji State Forest OHV Trails

2nd Weekend in October is when were doing the Birchwood to Dead Horse. Trying to stay flexible as to whether we do it Saturday or Sunday. Really don't feel like riding all day in a cold October rain.

Maybe we'll cross paths up there.

Nate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts