Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most guys who have been riding these new machine in tight trails and rock crawling, say they would prefer the gearing to lower, with or w/o Rekluse. How about the rest of you who have actually driven one. If it was geared down a little, it would obviously take away from the top speed, but would you find that to be a problem? I doesn't seem there are that many places you can run wide open in 5th gear.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I was hoping that 1st gear would of been like a granny gear, the rest of the gears could stay the same as for the people that have them say they could pull out in 2nd with ease. Just saying The way it is now to me its geared to high if u r planning to go to moab n or huge rock crawling. But from I have been hearing from owners that have them r having a blast with them in the trails, hills, dunes, ect ect. I didn't get to drive one yet n cant wait until I do, but from what I understand it will not be a good at moab n huge rock crawling because of the 1st gear being tall, With that being said I am sure that it can crawl n will get u through nasty stuff when u come to it. But again at moab n huge rock crawling I do not believe it will do good n it will be hard on the clutch ect ect.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here we go again!! This topic has been heavily discussed (beat to death) on other threads. It seems the general concensus is it will be low enough for "most" trail situations. The true "crawlers" all agree that it needs geared lower. Most of those opinions are coming from members watching videos, not actual experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove one for about 20 minuets and stalled it twice trying to climb things. I have driven a stick for years and my daily driver is a manual mustang so I'm familiar with a clutch. I personally would prefer lower gearing

·
Registered
107 Posts
"How about the rest of you who have actually driven one."

This is key to the question being asked.

I feel the general consensus is would be nice to be lower.

No way would I buy without driving one. From what I've seen , read from people with seat time it would not work for me. But won't know for sure until I drive one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually drove one and in the situation I stalled it out in, trying to crawl up a small soft gravel hill after stopping. I think the rekluse might have saved me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi there ,, from canada ,,, i would like to hear from someone in north west or north east ,, who use them in mud rocks tight wood trails theres lots or guys who never get over 20 mph aday in the tight stuff and mud ,, not up to your neck just every day stuff a ft or 2 deep ,, i think it will need a lower gear in 1st ,,, and that should cover both ends ,, top speed and handling , and the every day slow and fun stuff

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was hoping that 1st gear would of been like a granny gear, the rest of the gears could stay the same as for the people that have them say they could pull out in 2nd with ease. Just saying The way it is now to me its geared to high if u r planning to go to moab n or huge rock crawling. But from I have been hearing from owners that have them r having a blast with them in the trails, hills, dunes, ect ect. I didn't get to drive one yet n cant wait until I do, but from what I understand it will not be a good at moab n huge rock crawling because of the 1st gear being tall, With that being said I am sure that it can crawl n will get u through nasty stuff when u come to it. But again at moab n huge rock crawling I do not believe it will do good n it will be hard on the clutch ect ect.
I have been to Moab twice this year, and plan on going next month. The terrain there varies dramatically. I am sure the YXZ will do fine on most obstacles with a recluse clutch. I was told by a dealer here in Utah, that Yamaha did significant testing with the YXZ during the testing phase of development in Moab.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here we go again!! This topic has been heavily discussed (beat to death) on other threads. It seems the general concensus is it will be low enough for "most" trail situations. The true "crawlers" all agree that it needs geared lower. Most of those opinions are coming from members watching videos, not actual experience.
Again, this thread is directed at "the rest of you who have actually driven one". I haven't gotten a chance to drive one yet, so I would withhold my comments & opinions.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Again, this thread is directed at "the rest of you who have actually driven one". I haven't gotten a chance to drive one yet, so I would withhold my comments & opinions.
I think it's geared a tad to tall. Don't think it's a deal breaker by any means, just feel like 1st gear could be a little lower. It did whatever I asked it to do and I did some real slow speed rock crawling in it. Just seems like first is a bit tall and I would have sacrificed a bit off the top for a lower first gear. Think it's going to be just fine with the Rekluse...

·
Registered
128 Posts
What one person thinks is geared too high might not be too high to someone else. A lot of people think the Yamaha dirt bikes and quads are geared too high for the woods. Some say a close ratio transmission is the only way to go. I personally like stock gearing on both. We're going to see the same thing with the YXZ. Best thing to do is drive one yourself and form own opinion.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have been to Moab twice this year, and plan on going next month. The terrain there varies dramatically. I am sure the YXZ will do fine on most obstacles with a recluse clutch. I was told by a dealer here in Utah, that Yamaha did significant testing with the YXZ during the testing phase of development in Moab.
That's great news! the only thing I wonder about that Yamaha did testing with the YXZ in moab is why didn't they put out videos of it in moab, That would of answered everyone's questions about the tall 1st gear. To me if they did test it at moab n didn't put video's up for the world to see it, Maybe it didn't do so well. That's the only reason I would say they didn't show it there. I really cant see it doing major rock climbing or rock crawling in moab. But then again didn't see anything on it there, So I guess we will see soon I hope.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts