Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding it's kind of hard to find YXZ stuff where I live. Trying to maintain my rig without having to travel too far or wait days to weeks for shipping. I have a Napa and AutoZone if I choose to not drive an hour and a half to civilization. I saw that they both carry Mobil 1 wet clutch, gear, and engine oil. Napa also has their brand oil filter that fits the YXZ.

What are your guys' thoughts on using Mobil 1 oils and Napa filters?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do it. Everything is good these days. Put whatever floats your boat in the engine. Any JASO MA1 or MA2 in the transmission and you're good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm finding it's kind of hard to find YXZ stuff where I live. Trying to maintain my rig without having to travel too far or wait days to weeks for shipping. I have a Napa and AutoZone if I choose to not drive an hour and a half to civilization. I saw that they both carry Mobil 1 wet clutch, gear, and engine oil. Napa also has their brand oil filter that fits the YXZ.

What are your guys' thoughts on using Mobil 1 oils and Napa filters?

Thanks for your time!
What is the number for the Napa filter

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in the engine and Mobil 1 T-4 in the tranny, it's been good to me. I think most all engine oils made today are sufficient, so run what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. The transmission is another story, "IMO", the service manual specifically states "not to use a oil that exceeds a MA spec.", which is actually considered obsolete by today's engine standards, however this is going in the tranny not the engine, where combustion, ring to cylinder wall friction and babbit coated barrings are at, it's in the tranny where antiquated type roller barrings and friction clutches are. It's my personal belief that you can use "to good" of a oil in the trans and it may lead to clutch slippage, T-4 fits the bill here. Today it's really hard to find a oil that doesn't exceed a MA spec, not many out there. I know a lot of guys disagree with my opinion on this, and that's fine, we all have our opinions but mine was formed through research and by Yamaha's own gospel, however Yamaha also recommends Yamalube in the trans, and that by far exceeds a MA spec oil, so go figure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in the engine and Mobil 1 T-4 in the tranny, it's been good to me. I think most all engine oils made today are sufficient, so run what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. The transmission is another story, "IMO", the service manual specifically states "not to use a oil that exceeds a MA spec.", which is actually considered obsolete by today's engine standards, however this is going in the tranny not the engine, where combustion, ring to cylinder wall friction and babbit coated barrings are at, it's in the tranny where antiquated type roller barrings and friction clutches are. It's my personal belief that you can use "to good" of a oil in the trans and it may lead to clutch slippage, T-4 fits the bill here. Today it's really hard to find a oil that doesn't exceed a MA spec, not many out there. I know a lot of guys disagree with my opinion on this, and that's fine, we all have our opinions but mine was formed through research and by Yamaha's own gospel, however Yamaha also recommends Yamalube in the trans, and that by far exceeds a MA spec oil, so go figure.
Huh. Funny how Yamaha exceeds that. haha
Thank you for your response. Makes me feel more comfortable with using non-Yamalube stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts