Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I put my deposit down yesterday. I was the first and only one on the list. My RZR pals teased me while at the dealership, my two best riding buddies were there (they both have RZR 900XP). I hope I'm making the right choice, that Blue Turbo RZR looks sweet in person! I'm gonna do as much research on this thing until it shows up in December and if I find it's not what I thought I will transfer that deposit to the Turbo. My biggest concern is this machine (YXZ) may not really fit my riding style? On the East Coast, where I live and ride, we don't have a lot of wide open terrain like out West. I ride in the Mountains and we have lots of dirt roads that you can run at a pretty good speed but you can't run high speeds for sustained periods safely. Much of the terrain is rock and mud, trails through the forest, creek beds, gas ride-a-ways (my favorite, love to hill climb), mountain logging roads, blacktop two lanes, muddy trails, snow powdered woods and the occasional field. Much of my riding is 30mph or less, and I also like the technical terrain that you just lug through at some point of every ride. I'm concerned that the high revving engine and shifting novelty may wear off and it become a chore to ride in the woods? I splurged and bought a used YFZ450 earlier this year, total impulse purchase, and after riding it several times I decided it's too much work to ride all day, and realized that I'm a SXS guy now only. Its for sale by the way, if interested PM me.

I had a 900XP for three years and it was a beast, it did everything I asked it to do and more! I just felt it was time to upgrade so I sold a few weeks ago. I had a good experience with Polaris so I'm stepping out and taking a chance on the Yamaha mainly on the fact that I've always liked Yamaha, the YXZ starts out $5K less than the Turbo and the Yamaha has doors and a roof!

·
Registered
82 Posts
all your poolaris buddies will stop laughing when they are choking on your dust:),I too have the same kind of riding up here in western Canada and don't want to jump ship until I see some reviews matching my riding requirements,but they sure are a beautiful machine you lucky guy.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm from Ohio (like buckeyeguy must be) and will be riding similar terrain…I think it's gonna be just fine. I don't dig the really technical stuff a whole lot and I'm no rock crawler or mudder but some of the black trails at Hatfield McCoy get a little slower.
However when you're heading up a steep, rocky hill there are 3 words to remember: MO-MEN-TUM! The good news too is even if you hate it you can sell it w/o a huge loss and get another XP (as long as you don't buy a lot of shit for it right away ha, ha).

BTW - I bought a 2014 YFZ450R a coupla months ago too but I only ride it on the MX track…it would suck on trails. If you want a quad for trails I suggest a Renegade XXC…they're the Ferrari of quads! Woot!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I put my deposit down yesterday. I was the first and only one on the list. My RZR pals teased me while at the dealership, my two best riding buddies were there (they both have RZR 900XP). I hope I'm making the right choice, that Blue Turbo RZR looks sweet in person! I'm gonna do as much research on this thing until it shows up in December and if I find it's not what I thought I will transfer that deposit to the Turbo. My biggest concern is this machine (YXZ) may not really fit my riding style? On the East Coast, where I live and ride, we don't have a lot of wide open terrain like out West. I ride in the Mountains and we have lots of dirt roads that you can run at a pretty good speed but you can't run high speeds for sustained periods safely. Much of the terrain is rock and mud, trails through the forest, creek beds, gas ride-a-ways (my favorite, love to hill climb), mountain logging roads, blacktop two lanes, muddy trails, snow powdered woods and the occasional field. Much of my riding is 30mph or less, and I also like the technical terrain that you just lug through at some point of every ride. I'm concerned that the high revving engine and shifting novelty may wear off and it become a chore to ride in the woods? I splurged and bought a used YFZ450 earlier this year, total impulse purchase, and after riding it several times I decided it's too much work to ride all day, and realized that I'm a SXS guy now only. Its for sale by the way, if interested PM me.

I had a 900XP for three years and it was a beast, it did everything I asked it to do and more! I just felt it was time to upgrade so I sold a few weeks ago. I had a good experience with Polaris so I'm stepping out and taking a chance on the Yamaha mainly on the fact that I've always liked Yamaha, the YXZ starts out $5K less than the Turbo and the Yamaha has doors and a roof!
BEEZYXZ

I also live in WV. and ride the same style as you do , and I am also concerned about the same things as you are , I just got back from the bergoo bash my 4th time there , trails there are not very technical at all , at least to me , but never the less I have always liked to ride the hardest trails around I have road the Black water 100several times , trips from dolly sods to mount storm and back , High point , 5 points , Raced GNCC and Outlaw series , been riding like this for 30 years but all this riding has been done on Yamaha warrior's , Honda 250R , Honda 250R with 4 stroke 350 engine , Honda EX 400 , and Yamaha 660 Grizzly , the only sxs I have ever road in the trails was a Yamaha 660 Rhino and Polaris 900 , both sxs worked ok for me , but neither had what I was looking for , I have looked at the Can Am Commander and Maverick sense they have been out I think that both Polaris and Can Am have there good points and bad , as will the Yamaha YXZ , I have been waiting on a sport sxs with a manual tranny and now its here , Like all sxs's I think it can be set up to our type of riding all with the 5 speed that I have always wanted , and sense I have always drove everything with manual transmissions from atv's to tractor trailer to heavy equipment , I have no use for the Rekluse Clutch which is a savings I plan on waiting until I learn everything about this new machine that I can from this forum , the dealers , aftermarket , people that have them , and driving it myself , before I buy one

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I come from dirt bikes and quads but found myself riding them less and less because I had to go around the bad stuff, and some places I couldn't even get to. The SxS changed that while still being able to ride 'spirited' when possible. I did get a little bored in the RZRs, was planning to go back to quads but maybe the YXZ is the answer... we will see.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't know if this information will help with were you ride but I also ride a lot of black diamond trails out west on sport quads and I find most of the time I'm in second or third gear 90% of the time and not a lot of shifting is needed and you have the option to add the Rekluse clutch to help with technical stuff with right foot on gas and left foot on brake to have the max control when needed in these technical situations :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
Much of the terrain is rock and mud, trails through the forest, creek beds, gas ride-a-ways (my favorite, love to hill climb), mountain logging roads, blacktop two lanes, muddy trails, snow powdered woods and the occasional field…
Take away the mud (and much of the snow), and it sounds like central Arizona (where I've long-sinced transplanted from western Ohio).

My buds ride all the fast stuff. RZR 1000/900/2/4, Wildcat X, 2/4, and me in my pokey, stiff, and half-the-HP 2013 Teryx4. We're all ex or current dirt bike enduro racers so we're always blasting through two-track and sand wash. They usually slow it down a bit for me. I have to roll the whoops and mash the throttle to keep it around 40-45mph while they are often coasting at 60mph. The only time the Teryx shines in comparison is in the rocky climbs, and then just barely. Their sloppy CVTs result in occasional herky-jerkiness, but they do use and do need their low-range (but they'll more often than not blast up in Hi-range bouncing all over the place).

If this 2016 YXZ had a Low-Range I'd buy it this winter (our riding season). But it doesn't. So I'll wait for the internet ride reports and videos to help with my decision. Maybe I'll get a chance to ride one over some rough, uphill two-track near the Yankee Doodle Trail, but I suspect not.

I've had three (or is it four?) Rekluse clutches on my dirt bikes (two Yamahas as well). The Rekluse will *not* make up for a too-tall 1st gear when climbing rocky, rutted, rooted trails.

So… iffin I were you, I would not buy the YXZ until you are sure it is like buttah over your nasty sections.

Edit: okay, the Rekluse will help *a little* but, really, Yamaha -- gimme a Low-Range selector, por favor.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Rick, you may be on to something on first gear. Yamaha has not showed there hand on this in my opinion. Some videos hint at good low end but that does not translate to a crawler. I'm thinking seriously about the wolverine or pioneer 1000 for now. Then buying a sportier model when both the yami and Honda is clearly tested for all terrains.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If the YXZ can do a passable (say Teryx, Pioneer, or even Wildcat) job of crawling -- and over all this time the marketing geniuses at Yamaha Motors haven't released a video of the YXZ doing *just that very thing* then they are incompetent.

If it can't do that simple task for lack of a low enough gear ratio, then they have severely narrowed their market.

Let's hope for a fix by Yamaha next summer, or Honda throwing their DCT into a sport SxS. I'm not wagering on either happening, however.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If ur normal driving is around 30mph I would go with something smaller, But u really do not have to drive the YXZ a 100 mph all the time. U can drive them slow too, just keep it in a lower gear. A lot of the places that I will be riding there is no way I will be doing over 30mph we do have some rough stuff here n that's where the 5spd will come into play also. The 5spd will be awesome for me, Cant wait to get rid of the rubber band! JMO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you need a wolverine if you ride mostly at 30mph
Wolverine LOL! Dude I had a 900XP before, still one of the most capable performance SXS ever made! I want the baddest MoFo I can buy, I ain't going backwards! When I bought the 900XP it was the baddest thing out, my next purchase will be the baddest machine offered (YXZ/XPT)!

If you are only riding trails, and sround 30ish mph, it might not be the SXS for you. Maybe something smaller, like a Wildcat Sport, or Polaris 900.
Again, not going backwards! I would never own a Wildcat, don't like the looks, ridding position or performance. I've seen a Wildcat 1000 have to turn around in the middle of a hill climb that 3 XP900's just went up! No one rides Arctic Crap where we ride, all Polaris and Can Am.

Don't get me wrong, I still love to run a spirited fire road, drifting through the gravel turns "letting it eat" as we say, but much of the time we are not running over 40mph. Running 30-40mph in the woods, on a trail is not slow. I could care less about the top speed of my SXS, its about the ground clearance, suspension, torque and horsepower! I love to climb monster hills and tackle obstacles like rock ledges and embankments. I need great wheel speed and torque for hill climbing and I need ground clearance and suspension for the obstacles. I think the Yamaha will do what I want and maybe I'll add the recluse after awhile if needed. I am anxiously waiting for some woods riding reviews and head to head comparisons with the other sport SXS offerings.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Same here that's why I am giving it till feb. So far from what I have seen I love this YXZ. But I will find out a lot more by Feb. I am to looking to see a lot of vids of this YXZ in action n also to see how they r holding up, n with it out in the real world for 4 to 5 months we should know how they r doing. I am not the type to buy a 1st year product but with computers, vids n forums these days u will find out fast how they are because they will be tested hard n in all types of terrain. Plus Yamaha really does have a great r & d.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts