Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the UTV scene and I'm a long time Yamaha fan but I don't know enough about the YXZ. I'm thinking about buying this used YXZ on craigs. Is this a good deal? If not how much lower do you think I should offer? Thank you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would ask if you are comfortable with a manual clutch. What is the lower gearing that is in the utv. There are 2 basic ratios available: either 70/30 or 45/15. The first ratio is alot lower and will drop the top speed quite a bit. This is used by drivers who like to go slower and rock crawl rough trails. I have the 45/15 gears which work great for trail riding and sand dunes with a small reduction in top speed. What type of riding will you be doing tight woods, open desert, mountain trails or sand dunes. I didn't see what the asking price was for the utv. Checking under the utv for frame damage, A Arms impacts plus any oil leaks will tell you how hard the utv was used. Check plastic fenders and doors for cracking and scrapes. These are great machines that really give you an intense driving experience unlike a belt driven utv.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just saw the price of 16000 and city of aurora. I realize it has some nice accessories, but I feel the price is about 2000 high. I am unsure if the location is Illinois or colorado. Keep in mind this is just one opinion.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Dunerider has a lot of good input. As far as if it is a good deal, if it is clean as it looks (can't see all the pictures) and you like the mods, which personally sound like they slow it down and windows just aren't for me.....I would have knocked that top light off many times over. I would start at $11.5k and max out at 13k. Sell the trailer and get some of it back.

Reactions: YXLee

·
Registered
94 Posts
I figured out you are in colorado. Do you have a garage or enclosed trailer for winter storage? Decent tow vehicle for the passes? I am in Denver and suggest you see if anyplace to drive it on steep hills at low speed to see if the manual clutch is comfortable for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think I would be comfortable with manual. I drive a 6 speed manual Tacoma daily and have only owned manual cars in the past. I also rock crawl with the Tacoma as well. I didn't know there was another ratio used aside from the 70/30. Speaking to the owner it has the GYTR Torque Assist Gear Kit (2HC-E7530-V0-00) with 30% reduction on final gearing with additional 40% reduction on 1st gear. Yep, I'm in Colorado, Boulder specifically. I guess it would be more trail and woods driving although I do make a trip to the North Sand Hills often. I would plan to tow to Grand Junction and Utah for more trails. I'm definitely open to trail recommendations in Colorado if you have some. I do have a garage but it's usually the other car that's stored there. Thanks for all your input Dunerider63!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The top of vail pass has a some nice trails. The main road can have some heavy car traffic sometimes. I will be exploring the trails around fairplay this summer. I have always wanted to try the north sand hills. Do they have a creek at the bottom of them?
I hope the yxz works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The top of vail pass has a some nice trails. The main road can have some heavy car traffic sometimes. I will be exploring the trails around fairplay this summer. I have always wanted to try the north sand hills. Do they have a creek at the bottom of them?
I hope the yxz works out for you.
Dunerider63, is the 30% reduction on final gearing with additional 40% reduction on 1st gear what equates to the 70/30 reduction? I'll definitely have to look at trails around there. The North Sand Hills are a ton of fun! There is a creek, but it's been fenced off so only ATV width vehicles can go through unfortunately. Is there anything about the YXZ that you dislike or have had issues with? Thank you

·
Registered
94 Posts
That is the 70/30 gear reduction ratio. The roof line is a little low. I am 6ft and it can be hard to see up all of the steep hills in big sand dunes. Two things have been fixed on that utv with the upgraded clutch and lower gearing to help it go slow thru rocks and climb steep hills. The front radiator can get clogged with mud and overheat. Some people made a splash guard to fix it. The front radiator also sends heat into the cab. The transmission tunnel can get hot on the drivers right knee and back of passengers legs. Some people just put some insulation under the plastic console of the tunnel. The front tie rods are kind of weak and can bend or break. There are good aftermarket ones available that are not too expensive. The clutch and gearing upgrades are the most important. This is a great utv that is very reliable and fun to drive. If you decided you needed more top speed down the road then a co called Tubeworks makes an overdrive gear for 5th gear that works well. I forgot to tell you to pop off the plastic cover in the bed to check how the oil looks and there are two air filters also there to check to see if they are dirty. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree the price is a tick high for me. The guy has added what he wanted and is trying to recoup. I missed 2 2019 's at 16k last year before finding my present ride.The newer models have the gearing and shifting figured out IMO and a much better shock package. Add the accessories you want..my2cents

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That is the 70/30 gear reduction ratio. The roof line is a little low. I am 6ft and it can be hard to see up all of the steep hills in big sand dunes. Two things have been fixed on that utv with the upgraded clutch and lower gearing to help it go slow thru rocks and climb steep hills. The front radiator can get clogged with mud and overheat. Some people made a splash guard to fix it. The front radiator also sends heat into the cab. The transmission tunnel can get hot on the drivers right knee and back of passengers legs. Some people just put some insulation under the plastic console of the tunnel. The front tie rods are kind of weak and can bend or break. There are good aftermarket ones available that are not too expensive. The clutch and gearing upgrades are the most important. This is a great utv that is very reliable and fun to drive. If you decided you needed more top speed down the road then a co called Tubeworks makes an overdrive gear for 5th gear that works well. I forgot to tell you to pop off the plastic cover in the bed to check how the oil looks and there are two air filters also there to check to see if they are dirty. Let us know how it turns out.
I didn't even think about the roof line being and issue but now that you've said it, I can see how it would cause an issue. I agree, from the research I have been doing, the issue with the 2016 YXZs is the clutch and gear ratio when it is being used on trails. Thank you Dunerider63 for all the useful information of other issues I wasn't aware of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree the price is a tick high for me. The guy has added what he wanted and is trying to recoup. I missed 2 2019 's at 16k last year before finding my present ride.The newer models have the gearing and shifting figured out IMO and a much better shock package. Add the accessories you want..my2cents
I agree that the price is a little high as well. After doing some research on the 2019s, it seems that with the changes/upgrades, it's worth it to wait/save for the 2019 over trying to upgrade a 2016 to address the issues the 2019 has addressed, unless of course the 2016 was a lot cheaper. I think it might be better for me to hold out for now. Thank you for your input robyxz

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just wanted to put this into perspective. Firstly i live in Miami and the south Florida climate is completely different than Colorado and what most people do with UTVs. I agree and think the price is too high. However i do love the yellow and black colorway. I own a 2016 special edition YXZ and a new 2020 Honda talon X4 live valve. I picked up my yxz in December with 1000 miles and 55 hours for $9,000. It had tons of upgrades already however i did notice the clutch was slipping after the purchase. Since then i have put on over 100 hours and more than 2000 miles. I can totally recommend anyone that is a manual transmission enthusiast to buy a manual YXZ. @powersports_exchange on Instagram is frequently selling clean yxz machines in the 12-13k range and like 15-16k for the 19+ models. I recommend you talk to him. There is not much problems with the older YXZ but the new one is better especially if you ride in Florida like me. The heat in the cab gets really bad in our 90 degree weather, in Colorado it actually might be a little nice. The gearing sucks for me and i constantly worry about getting stuck and have burned a brand new clutch in one ride pushing and attempting to get out of mud, i no longer do that. The radiator getting caked up isn’t so much of a problem anymore. I pressure wash it and get most of it off and found a seller on eBay that makes plastic guards for the radiator for about $40 that work fairly well. The machine for 16k has addressed a lot of issues already in the clutch and gearing but I’d still say you can find a better deal out there or if you’re ok with it I’d reccomend offering up to 13k for it because those add ons do costs money. It’s also not too far off from a 2019+ as is. Having a spare wheel set is a nice and if you don’t already have a trailer you can’t beat that. I’m times of a pandemic, cash talks and i wouldn’t hesitate buying a 16’ when it already has all these upgrades done to it. Unless you are power hungry and are thinking of adding a turbo would i really tell you to wait for a 19+.

In comparison to my talon, the Yamaha is much more fun and planted. It has been pretty bulletproof except for the clutch, one broken axle, and just last weekend bent a tie rod. It has been an incredible machine. Good luck on your search, be patient and something will come up. I wanted a yxz for 2 years before i finally jumped ship. Best thing i ever did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts