Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a hell of a time removing and reconnecting the bottom skid plastic sheet. Cleaning out the sand, leaves, sticks. Did it on my back without lifting the machine..... wasn't pretty, said I'd never do it that way again.

So, if I could jack up, or fence puller up, or strap up on the garage ceiling joists, lift the front up like a wheelie at least 3 feet, life would be much better. Any suggestions or better yet, first hand experience, for this front lifting quandary?

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
I have two 2x6 chunks of lumber (screwed together) that are just wide enough to go under the a-arms and rear arms at the hub area. I throw my 3 ton floor jack under it and can put it a ways in the air. I do that rear with Jack stands and lift the front with the jack. Sketchy - perhaps.. Way easier than crawling around... Also - get an impact driver or similar. It will make pulling the bolts uber easy so you aren't cranking on your back forever..

In my garage - I throw it on some wheel dollies for cars - that gets it about 5" in the air and I have room on my creeper.. A good power wash before hand makes it way better :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two 2x6 chunks of lumber (screwed together) that are just wide enough to go under the a-arms and rear arms at the hub area. I throw my 3 ton floor jack under it and can put it a ways in the air. I do that rear with Jack stands and lift the front with the jack. Sketchy - perhaps.. Way easier than crawling around... Also - get an impact driver or similar. It will make pulling the bolts uber easy so you aren't cranking on your back forever..

In my garage - I throw it on some wheel dollies for cars - that gets it about 5" in the air and I have room on my creeper.. A good power wash before hand makes it way better :)
Hi Jay: I'm trying to visualize where you put the 2x6 under the car? do you have a picture?
And Yes, the impact driver is an amazing tool that I recently got. Thank you

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
220 Posts
I just looked at my pictures and can't find one with a image.

I have it on a concrete pad now as I've been doing transmission work - I've pulled all those covers in the last month..

I'll describe it so hope that helps:

• I grabbed a standard 2x6 and measured from the bolts on the front arms side to side inside the tires.
  • I cut and screwed the 2x6's together. With two - it will support the car and no worries about one breaking.
  • I will place the screwed together boards on the center of the rolling floor jack and roll it under the front (or rear) same with as I don't have OEM wheels.
  • I gently jack it up (the front will hit the bolts on the bottom of the arm, but the wood takes the impression and nothing gets damaged.
    • What is nice - is that I am jacking up via the suspension, so the whole body moves up too. If I do just the body - I can't get at the panels to remove them easily.
Here my tire has been jacked up and on a wheel caster/dolly.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Here you can see my jack, the boards and I was test fitting some paddles last year...

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently had a hell of a time removing and reconnecting the bottom skid plastic sheet. Cleaning out the sand, leaves, sticks. Did it on my back without lifting the machine..... wasn't pretty, said I'd never do it that way again.

So, if I could jack up, or fence puller up, or strap up on the garage ceiling joists, lift the front up like a wheelie at least 3 feet, life would be much better. Any suggestions or better yet, first hand experience, for this front lifting quandary?
I went to Harbor freight and bought two sets of those drive on wheel lifts I guess that’s what you call them, Works really good for working underneath the car, I think I paid $20 they were on sale

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just looked at my pictures and can't find one with a image.

I have it on a concrete pad now as I've been doing transmission work - I've pulled all those covers in the last month..

I'll describe it so hope that helps:

• I grabbed a standard 2x6 and measured from the bolts on the front arms side to side inside the tires.
  • I cut and screwed the 2x6's together. With two - it will support the car and no worries about one breaking.
  • I will place the screwed together boards on the center of the rolling floor jack and roll it under the front (or rear) same with as I don't have OEM wheels.
  • I gently jack it up (the front will hit the bolts on the bottom of the arm, but the wood takes the impression and nothing gets damaged.
    • What is nice - is that I am jacking up via the suspension, so the whole body moves up too. If I do just the body - I can't get at the panels to remove them easily.
Here my tire has been jacked up and on a wheel caster/dolly.

View attachment 119147

Here you can see my jack, the boards and I was test fitting some paddles last year...

View attachment 119148
Well Jay, i finally got my floor jack and 2x6's and screw gun, impact wrench. Now i need to measure between bolts as you mentioned and get things cut and screwed. Then I do the lift, take off the plastic skid plate and start assembling the aluminum skip plate sections. I will report.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Jay, i finally got my floor jack and 2x6's and screw gun, impact wrench. Now i need to measure between bolts as you mentioned and get things cut and screwed. Then I do the lift, take off the plastic skid plate and start assembling the aluminum skip plate sections. I will report.
I used your description with the 2x6, screws, floor jack. All worked quite well. I've got the old plastic skid plates off and installing the new Aluminum plates. Will be glad to be done with the stock plastics. Thanks for the good idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts