Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 se ss gytr Turbo, clutch
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all does anyone know If K&N makes a air filter for the 2021 model?
Thanx,
Dun Dog

·
Registered
316 Posts
Do you guys have any first hand experience with this? I have been running K&N filters on all my atv's since the 80's and run them on my trucks, other SxS's and never had one problem. Find it hard to believe a oiled filter would not work better than a dry filtter. Have not run one in my Yxz but had no problems with my Razors running them.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There is an independent study payed for buy Fourm members and some filter manufacturers on Dieselplace Fourm Arlin Spicer did it if I remember name right . It’s very in depth as they have most all filters know in the test . Study the charts they will show the K&N holds the least amount of dirt while passing the most . This gets worse with CFM as the air speed goes up . They use ISO certified test dirt corse and fine and the K&N is the worst in test and when they use the fine test dirt it’s even worse. I have had k&n on my duramax and have found light dust film inside the intake system. I have since switched to Donaldson and there is no trace of dirt . I called K&n and was told in so many words that their filter doesn’t stop everything and that their focus is on performance air flow . If your racing a 40 min moto maybe use it the clean or replace for next race but for long weekends of dust and silt it’s the wrong way to go in my opinion. Stick with the stock oiled foam as it will clog before passing dirt . The K&N won’t clog that way you can finish race get your trophy go home and rebuild the engine for next race .LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think I'll trust 4 decades of personal use. Let alone all the ones we've installed for customers with exactly 0 failures. I ride almost every weekend and put thousands of miles on my toys every year. Not just a weekend here and there, did 150 miles yesterday. Never a problem riding in the mountains or dunes. Can't say for desert riding, I live where it rains. Gotta go now and polish my trophy, it sure is big. ;)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have used them for years also only to realize they pass dirt . Never lost an engine but have sold bikes well before they were worn out . Now with higher performance and more rpm these days I think it’s more critical. But hey in a wet environment no big deal but in deserts of southwest most people I know don’t use them .

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have taken their filters off a couple of vehicles, one truck and one corvette, that I bought used. In both cases, I found them to be ill maintained and barely oiled. Properly maintained, they are probably fine as plenty of evidence exists. I appreciate the performance of oil based filters and really like the two stage filter system on our machines. Works fantastic, IMO. When I looked at the K&N filters, it looked to be far more wide open unless well oiled, very well oiled. I ride in lots of talc-like dust. It is prevalent out West and I choose to use paper cartridges in single stage filtration systems. More predictable performance without having to oil it every other week. I would not convert my YXZs to one of their systems, at least if they looked like what I have seen in the past.

Reactions: Rocken Robin

·
Registered
130 Posts
Never will you see I k+n filter on a Baja race truck . Unless not wanting to finnish a race . I have been riding off road motos and trucks . Since late 60s to date . Dirt bikes stuck slides in carbs Off road trucks carb or Fi dirt behind filter . Or sand blasted intake from dirt . K+n if you must use foam filter oiled over it .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts