Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha manual
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

While in first gear and on not smooth terrain, I get this knocking sound from under the vehicle. Something is jerking.

It's only in 1st and not smooth terrain like tarmac.

I've uploaded a video while on sand, but it also happens on rocky terrain.

Video below.

What do you suppose is wrong?

Thank you

·
Registered
119 Posts
I haven't had anything like this happen to mine yet so anything I say is just a guess and possibly not even a good one lol but if is only in first that it does it I would think it would be be in that gear or dog ear which would be internal. It kinda sounds like a really bad u joint also but i would think it would happen in more than 1st gear

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha manual
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What transmission work have you had done?

When was it done?
None

It's your rear drive shaft coupler slipping splines in the rear diff. Not as bad as it sounds, get a new coupler and boot from Alba Racing before you need the gear drive also.
Thank you so much for your input.

Are you referring to this:

https://teamalbaracing.com/i-23900127-yxz1000r-yxz1000ss-heavy-duty-drive-shaft-coupler.html

Only $60?

I'm glad.. but expected to pay hundreds...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you

But why is it only during 1st gear?

I imagine a coupler issue would be in all gears?
I would think it would do it in all gears also that why I said dog ears on first gear. The only reason I could think of that the coupler would do it in first only is that there could possibly be more resistance being but on the the coupler in 1st is because of less forward momentum and more torque because of the the gear being lower

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thank you

But why is it only during 1st gear?

I imagine a coupler issue would be in all gears?
Hey Bro, that's just my guess. If mine was doing that, that's the first thing I would check and hope for. Good point about only first, maybe if your lucky it might be because of increased torque in first and it's not real bad yet. Easy to check that one first, just pull the drive shaft and inspect the coupler. Make sure you don't loose the spring out of the front of the shaft.
* Warning : I'm not a machinic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express *

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha manual
113 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
No, that's not the part, that's a HD pinion bearing support, it keeps you from blowing your pinion out of the front of your diff if your making big HP. You may need part #2HC-G6126-00-00 , item #13 coupling gear, $122 . Get on Babbitsonlineparts go to Yamaha UTV, select model and go to drive shaft. Make sure this is your problem first, pull the drive shaft and inspect the splines, if it bad it will be full of rust and dirt. If it's not bad the Alba coupler is a good upgrade to have anyway and their boot is priceless for keeping it dry.

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha manual
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, that's not the part, that's a HD pinion bearing support, it keeps you from blowing your pinion out of the front of your diff if your making big HP. You may need part #2HC-G6126-00-00 , item #13 coupling gear, $122 . Get on Babbitsonlineparts go to Yamaha UTV, select model and go to drive shaft. Make sure this is your problem first, pull the drive shaft and inspect the splines, if it bad it will be full of rust and dirt. If it's not bad the Alba coupler is a good upgrade to have anyway and their boot is priceless for keeping it dry.
Thank you so much.
That's what we decided at the workshop.
Install the coupler. Inspect #13.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, then check the main transmission shaft as above.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thank you so much.
That's what we decided at the workshop.
Install the coupler. Inspect #13.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, then check the main transmission shaft as above.
You may need to get in that coupler gear with a toothbrush sized wire brush and some penetrating oil like PB Blaster and clean it up real good before you repack it with grease.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Alas

It wasn't the drive shaft coupler.

I took a photo of mine. Teeth still sharp. :(

See photos.

He thinks it's the main transmission shaft as above.

I hate the thought of my transmission case getting pried open.
Do you have any theories on what may have caused this to happen?? Did it give you any other warning signs before it got ugly?

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha manual
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have any theories on what may have caused this to happen?? Did it give you any other warning signs before it got ugly?

Fortunately. It did not get ugly. I could circumvent the clacking by gently rolling out of first.

But I knew I'd need to figure out what needs repair/replacement.

I purchased the buggy used worry about 50 hours on it.
The guy rode it 100% in the dunes.

I ride 95% fire roads and rock gardens.

It started clacking recently after I got it , to be honest.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts