Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some research and think this winter I will go long travel. Fireball seems to be popular and have good reviews. Weller always has good reviews so I have also been considering the Cognito kit from them. It seems a bit heavy though. I strictly ride Oregon dunes.
It seems some people are leaving shocks alone with LT and some are revalving.
Switching to 3” Fox shocks in the rear would be awesome. Not sure if it’s in the budget though.
What are peoples thoughts and opinions on current LT set ups? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been doing some research and think this winter I will go long travel. Fireball seems to be popular and have good reviews. Weller always has good reviews so I have also been considering the Cognito kit from them. It seems a bit heavy though. I strictly ride Oregon dunes.
It seems some people are leaving shocks alone with LT and some are revalving.
Switching to 3” Fox shocks in the rear would be awesome. Not sure if it’s in the budget though.
What are peoples thoughts and opinions on current LT set ups? Thanks for any help.
I’ll eventually go long travel and I’m pretty sure I’ll go the LSK route when I eventually do. Seems to be a good price point and I know the FastLab yxz runs it. I’ve heard good reviews from him as well as people he rides with. The selling point will be when I ride in the car.
One thing I do like about the LSK kit is it doesn’t stretch the wheelbase. I know there is some improvement with the longer wheel base in whoops but short wheel base cars are nimble. A yxz will never be a smooth as an x3 so I might as well smash on those cars in tight trails where handling is key.

·
Registered
2021 yxz 1000r
55 Posts
I’ll eventually go long travel and I’m pretty sure I’ll go the LSK route when I eventually do. Seems to be a good price point and I know the FastLab yxz runs it. I’ve heard good reviews from him as well as people he rides with. The selling point will be when I ride in the car.
One thing I do like about the LSK kit is it doesn’t stretch the wheelbase. I know there is some improvement with the longer wheel base in whoops but short wheel base cars are nimble. A yxz will never be a smooth as an x3 so I might as well smash on those cars in tight trails where handling is key.
I’ve looked at long travel, but didn’t want a wider base. I was unaware that the lsk kept the same footprint!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I ride nothing but Oregon dunes as well. I did a Fireball setup on my car. My wife and I both agreed, this was one of the first things mods that should have been done. I drove for a couple trips on the the stock shocks, and it worked great for relaxed/casual duning. But if you get aggressive, you'll want to to an upgrade on them too. I went with Wellers revalving/springs I couldn't be more happy. Highly recommend both upgrades.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ride nothing but Oregon dunes as well. I did a Fireball setup on my car. My wife and I both agreed, this was one of the first things mods that should have been done. I drove for a couple trips on the the stock shocks, and it worked great for relaxed/casual duning. But if you get aggressive, you'll want to to an upgrade on them too. I went with Wellers revalving/springs I couldn't be more happy. Highly recommend both upgrades.
Be carful using Weller Springs on other LT kits besides cognito. These springs were specificlly setup for that kit. These are very heavy springs. I tried them on a HCR kit, per Wellers recommendation, and they were way to heavy. Wellers return policy sucks and they charged me a restock fee plus what it cost me to ship them back. Lost about $300. I am surprised they work on other kits, those springs are massive. Its fustrating when they make the recommendation and then charge you a restock when it doesn't work.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Be carful using Weller Springs on other LT kits besides cognito. These springs were specificlly setup for that kit. These are very heavy springs. I tried them on a HCR kit, per Wellers recommendation, and they were way to heavy. Wellers return policy sucks and they charged me a restock fee plus what it cost me to ship them back. Lost about $300. I am surprised they work on other kits, those springs are massive. Its fustrating when they make the recommendation and then charge you a restock when it doesn't work.
im running the weller springs on the LSK long travel but with DC Shocks revalve and it is freaking amazing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
im running the weller springs on the LSK long travel but with DC Shocks revalve and it is freaking amazing.
Every LT kit has different leverage points and the springs and valving has to be tuned for that. Sounds like Cognito and LSK are similar. Thats awesome! HCR moved the shocks outward to reduce the increase in leverage. This requires lighter springs than Wellers LT springs. Weller as much as they can have tried to be helpful however I have learned that suspension is not their strength.

Currently I am running the stock springs and the car rides 100% better than stock. I am deciding between buying King shocks or tuning the X2's with new spirngs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts