Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at the Yamaha website and there doesn't seem to be much difference in the machines aside from the SE. Which I haven't totally identified the difference, but I believe it has to do with transmission?

I am thinking of buying a new base model and going semi nuts right away. Long travel with upgraded shocks (King or Elka), Turbo, seats, cage shortly after purchase. I live near the desert now with mountains near by too. I'm looking at mostly high speed desert fun more than dunes or trails.

Is there a reason that I'm not seeing, to look at the SS, SS SE, or XT-R models? What is the deal with the SE trans?

Thank you.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It depends on your definition of base. To me, the base model is the three pedal version, the 1000R. The SS is the paddle shift version which mechanizes the clutch system to eliminate the clutch pedal control for the driver. So the transmission difference is between the 1000R and the 1000R SS. The SE versions of either of those trim models adds bead locks, generally better shocks and in some cases, a roof and winch. The XTR is not offered in a three pedal version and only comes as an SS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fortrdb. Is the only difference between the transmissions is the paddle shift or traditional clutch shift lever? I read something where a paddle shift model will down shift for you if you forget? I need to run over to the dealer and get a rundown. The paddle shift has a clutch? But it doesn't need to be used when shifting?

Beadlocks would be nice. Shocks are going to be irrelevant since I will upgrade.

I think it was on older models, but there was a difference in the rear hub units?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Yes, the 3 pedal is a manual foot clutch. The SS is a paddle shift with auto clutch..machine does all the work. The SS will downshift but much better to use paddles ( saves brake pads) 3300 miles and just changed rears only. Fronts still at 50%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts