Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my YXZ in April 2016 and haven't been able to really open it up because the trails around me either got developed, are for the crawlers, or for the mudders. I used to have dirt bikes and could find all kinds of places but its tougher with a SXS. Getting away for a whole weekend is TOUGH for me right now so I'm hoping there's somebody that knows of any fast trails near central TX or close by (not over 5 hrs away preferably). Its gotten to the point where I'm now debating selling my YXZ because the trails here are so disappointing :( . Please help!!!! I will be extremely grateful!! thanks to everyone in advance, hope to hear about some good trails or some advise about what to do because I love my YXZ and don't want to see her go.

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
If you stay on the west side of Hidden Falls and run those trails you can spend a day to a weekend. the east side of the park is not YXZ friendly though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply,
I've been to HF's a few times and explored it but I'll take your advise and try it again. When I was there it seemed like the easy or the truck trails (1 & 2) were the fastest ones there.

That Big Springs is interesting I'll have to look into going there.

And for the sand dunes would I be able to really go fast and tear it up with the stock tires that come on the YXZ?

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
I've been to HF's a few times and explored it but I'll take your advise and try it again. When I was there it seemed like the easy or the truck trails (1 & 2) were the fastest ones there.

That Big Springs is interesting I'll have to look into going there.

And for the sand dunes would I be able to really go fast and tear it up with the stock tires that come on the YXZ?
I usually run Big Horns at Kermit. It's not really big dunes, it's more sand trails. You can go as fast as you are comfortable with and a bonus is it's not usually busy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There will be a race in Hallet oklahoma starting Nov. 4th...supermoto, motocross, and a night race that runs half on the street corse and half in the woods. Look up Goldrushok.com. Look at some of the races on YouTube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I usually run Big Horns at Kermit. It's not really big dunes, it's more sand trails. You can go as fast as you are comfortable with and a bonus is it's not usually busy.

Nice that sounds like a good time, definitely going to be a trip I plan on taking soon. I loved the sand trails in Bastrop on my dirt bikes but they got too developed there. Also going to check out the west trails in Hidden Falls you were telling me about. I like it out there but the fact that the trails go both ways make me throttle shy, not wanting to fly around blind turns as quick as I would like to. I just emailed HF earlier to see if they have any plans to host a SXS race, I'll update the post when I get a response.

Response from HF "No plans currently. We don’t usually put on events ourselves. Typically we are approached by groups that want to host an event in our park. In essence we facilitate the event."

·
Registered
418 Posts
I run Little Sahara in OK fairly often (average twice a month) so that's all I can speak to but I can tell you that I have yet to find someone that can run away from the stock tired YXZ in the dunes or in the trails, especially in the trails! I have ran with and without paddles and I usually choose to run without, the biggest difference I have noticed is through the sand whoops along the perimeter and I chalk most of that up to the larger diameter of the paddles allowing me to stay more on top of the whoops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run Little Sahara in OK fairly often (average twice a month) so that's all I can speak to but I can tell you that I have yet to find someone that can run away from the stock tired YXZ in the dunes or in the trails, especially in the trails! I have ran with and without paddles and I usually choose to run without, the biggest difference I have noticed is through the sand whoops along the perimeter and I chalk most of that up to the larger diameter of the paddles allowing me to stay more on top of the whoops.

yet to find someone that can run away from the stock tired YXZ in the dunes or in the trails, especially in the trails
!

Haha that's what I Like to Hear!! Awesome Feedback! makes me more confident and stoked about going into the sand. Can't wait until I make a trip out to west TX to check out those Kermit Sand Hills now, its going to be exiting I can already feel it. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was doing some looking online and found a place in Fredericksburg called Canyons Off Road Park (Canyons Off Road Park - Home). They hosted a SXS Race there and racers have posted vids on youtube anyone can check out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
JUST found a site hosted by Texas Parks & Wildlife that has a list of places open to public use for OHV's. They didn't have any listed in central TX (for OHV's) unfortunately but they did have some I haven't heard of yet not too far away. Figured I'd go ahead and post for anyone who is interested, site is listed below, should just be a link that will take you to the list of trails. I know there's gotta be more places, so anyone who knows of others please add it to the forum. Thanks

Ride Texas ? Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Figured I'd post this reply about my recent trip out to HF if anybody is interested on my thoughts of the trails out there.

Hey DirtJelly, I was debating on writing you back about my recent trip out there about a week ago. I explored the west side of the park, just on a couple of trails, then couldn't bring myself to go exploring on any others. I ended up just staying on the park roads and one other 4x4 trail I knew of on the east side of the park. The reason I was debating on writing you back, I was thinking of taking another trip out there before telling you it isn't any good on the west side for higher speeds on a SXS. There were sections I could go pretty quick but only in short spurts. While leaving I noticed trails following the park road, I looked at the ATV/UTV map and it looks like if I would have stayed on Lazy Man then hit Green Spur or Green Loop, I might have been able to maintain higher speeds. Other than those I honestly do not believe any other trails on the west side are good for higher speeds. I can't figure out how to attach images to private messages but I'll put a copy of the ATV map of HF and highlight the trails I took on the thread, so you can see and get a clear idea of what I'm talking about. I'll also attach the 4x4 trail map and highlight trails that I know I can go fast on, the only thing about those are having to be careful of oncoming traffic. On certain sections of the park roads, if I were able to know no other vehicles were coming around some of the turns it would have been a blast flying around them. That being said, on sections of the park road and the trail on the east side, I was able to hit 60 and hold higher speeds. let me know what you think of all that and most importantly have a good weekend!! :glee:

I Highlighted the trails I took, the 4x4 map highlights are definitely recommended if you go out there wanting to go fast on a SXS. (top Map)

HF 4x4 Trails.jpg

HF ATV Trail.jpg

I might have a video my fiance took with her phone of the 4x4 trail I was on, I'll try and see if I can upload that to the thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Figured I'd post this reply about my recent trip out to HF if anybody is interested on my thoughts of the trails out there.

Hey DirtJelly, I was debating on writing you back about my recent trip out there about a week ago. I explored the west side of the park, just on a couple of trails, then couldn't bring myself to go exploring on any others. I ended up just staying on the park roads and one other 4x4 trail I knew of on the east side of the park. The reason I was debating on writing you back, I was thinking of taking another trip out there before telling you it isn't any good on the west side for higher speeds on a SXS. There were sections I could go pretty quick but only in short spurts. While leaving I noticed trails following the park road, I looked at the ATV/UTV map and it looks like if I would have stayed on Lazy Man then hit Green Spur or Green Loop, I might have been able to maintain higher speeds. Other than those I honestly do not believe any other trails on the west side are good for higher speeds. I can't figure out how to attach images to private messages but I'll put a copy of the ATV map of HF and highlight the trails I took on the thread, so you can see and get a clear idea of what I'm talking about. I'll also attach the 4x4 trail map and highlight trails that I know I can go fast on, the only thing about those are having to be careful of oncoming traffic. On certain sections of the park roads, if I were able to know no other vehicles were coming around some of the turns it would have been a blast flying around them. That being said, on sections of the park road and the trail on the east side, I was able to hit 60 and hold higher speeds. let me know what you think of all that and most importantly have a good weekend!! :glee:

I Highlighted the trails I took, the 4x4 map highlights are definitely recommended if you go out there wanting to go fast on a SXS. (top Map)

View attachment 46145

View attachment 46153

I might have a video my fiance took with her phone of the 4x4 trail I was on, I'll try and see if I can upload that to the thread.
Thanks for keeping us posted Stu and def would like to check out the video

DJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts