Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I backed my YXZ out of the garage for the first time in a few weeks. I drove it about 1/4 a mile and it started giving me a loud beep. There was no lights or anything on the dash. The parking break was not on. It was not in reverse, I was in 1st gear moving forward at 10mph. Any idea what this was? My only thought was maybe I hadn’t let it warm up enough. It was brisk outside, 40 degrees or so. I think the engine temp was reading in the 140s.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Did you notice if parking brake indicator was on in the dash when it started beeping? I have had my parking brake off, but the switch must be getting gummed up and I have to exercise the brake handle or push it down very firmly sometimes to get the indicator to go off.

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
Did you have your seatbelts on? If not it will beep.
Nate

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an ss and had a loud beep one time which i had no idea where this come from. I drove over a obsticle wich had a form of a 90 degree triangle. I drove backwards over and it was a very lose ground. After that then i wanted to go forward but because it was so slippy and steep it didnt. I pressed the gas slowly down and then a loud beep heard. Maybe its a warning for overload or something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say mine was from cold. It was very cold outside and I probably should’ve let it warm up a little more, but it wasn’t like I was really hammering it. I was just trying to actually drive it across a parking lot and load it on a trailer lol I’ve never heard that beep before and my god is it loud.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R SE
14 Posts
Did you notice if parking brake indicator was on in the dash when it started beeping? I have had my parking brake off, but the switch must be getting gummed up and I have to exercise the brake handle or push it down very firmly sometimes to get the indicator to go off.
Hello fortrdb, is the break warning the (P) light I assume? I have a beep over 5mph, with that light on. I will try jamming down the lever to see if that light will go out. I have a used machine 2016 that is new to me, trying to figure things out, and thank you.

·
Registered
2021 yxz 1000r
70 Posts
Yeah if yours is a paddle shifty then it will summon the beep from hell when it’s to cold for the rpm’s that ur going. My ss does that but my three pedal does not. Always let it warm it up (I do at least 150f) before moving it. Haven’t noticed it on mine all season boy I love summer

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R SE
14 Posts
Yeah if yours is a paddle shifty then it will summon the beep from hell when it’s to cold for the rpm’s that ur going. My ss does that but my three pedal does not. Always let it warm it up (I do at least 150f) before moving it. Haven’t noticed it on mine all season boy I love summer
Thanks again Alan for the reply, mine is a 3 pedal, 2016. So I will mess with the park brake and try to get the light to turn off. This thing has a touchy clutch, I grew up with a clutch, but this thing takes the cake. I kind of hope the brake is grabbing and that would be the cause of the stalls, but I do not stall it in reverse, so I think the clutch needs some attention also.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thanks again Alan for the reply, mine is a 3 pedal, 2016. So I will mess with the park brake and try to get the light to turn off. This thing has a touchy clutch, I grew up with a clutch, but this thing takes the cake. I kind of hope the brake is grabbing and that would be the cause of the stalls, but I do not stall it in reverse, so I think the clutch needs some attention also.
Oh yes the YXZ 3 pedal is a different clutch to operate. I treat like it is a dirt bike clutch lever and get it going quick and foot away from pedal once in gear. Quick easy shifts with rpm’s around 6000. With tubeworks clutch oil mod and full size clutch plates all the way through it grabs real hard. Have found YXZ seats are still the only vehicle seats out of 5 that are comfortable for me to ride in that don’t cause extreme pains.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R SE
14 Posts
Oh yes the YXZ 3 pedal is a different clutch to operate. I treat like it is a dirt bike clutch lever and get it going quick and foot away from pedal once in gear. Quick easy shifts with rpm’s around 6000. With tubeworks clutch oil mod and full size clutch plates all the way through it grabs real hard. Have found YXZ seats are still the only vehicle seats out of 5 that are comfortable for me to ride in that don’t cause extreme pains.
Thanks for that info, I will check out "tubeworks clutch oil mod". The after market seats in this thing are Simpson, they feel just OK but look sturdy. It could be foreboding but they wracked me up pretty good the first time getting in, they have a side padding around the butt thigh area with metal reinforcement and caught me just right lol. 😂🤣😲

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thanks for that info, I will check out "tubeworks clutch oil mod". The after market seats in this thing are Simpson, they feel just OK but look sturdy. It could be foreboding but they wracked me up pretty good the first time getting in, they have a side padding around the butt thigh area with metal reinforcement and caught me just right lol. 😂🤣😲
Ouch. My prp seats are great once you are in them just tight squeezing in. And the clutch oil mod gibes much better clutch wear and life. Oil mod installed at 1500 miles. Changed original clutch at a little over 4200 miles, had no problems and was not worn out just wanted to change and check for miles. Now at 8900 miles and new clutch kit here but not needed yet, maybe this winter i will just change it out and see how the wear is. And probably install ‘19 gear reduction kit from Weller.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R SE
14 Posts
Ouch. My prp seats are great once you are in them just tight squeezing in. And the clutch oil mod gibes much better clutch wear and life. Oil mod installed at 1500 miles. Changed original clutch at a little over 4200 miles, had no problems and was not worn out just wanted to change and check for miles. Now at 8900 miles and new clutch kit here but not needed yet, maybe this winter i will just change it out and see how the wear is. And probably install ‘19 gear reduction kit from Weller.
Thank you for the info, definitely will be looking into this. On any incline it just wants to stall out, have to rev it and then kind of studder it away. I can drop the clutch and peel out but that is not the way I want to pull away.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R SE
14 Posts
Gibbster, I am trying to find out from a previous owner of this machine if they modified the clutch previously (I sent an email and hope they respond). Originally a speed shop in Ca had it and did some upgrades and wondering if they did the Oil Mod already. Could you tell me how much oil you add to the transmission if you do this mod? I pulled the dip stick and it reads high on the dip stick. I did not take a pic but seems level was about a Cm above the top hashes. I have the center skid pan off and it would be easy to change the oil and check the screen now, so basically how high on the dip stick should it read if you do the Oil Mod? Thank you!

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
There should be no change to the fluid level with the modification.

The additional holes are there to help get fluid into the plates. There are 3 mods that make up the "full kit". The modified clutch basket, a plate that sits on top to help keep the fluid in, and an additional external line to help in circulation of transmission fluid.

And like @Gibbster said. The clutch works best and lasts the longest if you keep the RPMs up and use the pedal like you're flicking a switch. Its either on or off. Try and use like your driving a car and you'll fry it. Even just resting your foot on the pedal can lead to excessive wear.

Nate

Reactions: budwyzer

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R SE
14 Posts
There should be no change to the fluid level with the modification.

The additional holes are there to help get fluid into the plates. There are 3 mods that make up the "full kit". The modified clutch basket, a plate that sits on top to help keep the fluid in, and an additional external line to help in circulation of transmission fluid.

And like @Gibbster said. The clutch works best and lasts the longest if you keep the RPMs up and use the pedal like you're flicking a switch. Its either on or off. Try and use like your driving a car and you'll fry it. Even just resting your foot on the pedal can lead to excessive wear.

Nate
Thank you Nate, much appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts