Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the YXZ out for it's maiden voyage this past weekend with a buddy of mine. We ran about 35 miles through Ocotillo, and it ran like a champ until I blew out the sidewall. This is my first SxS, I actually had never even ridden in one prior to buying it. I have had mid travel sandrails in the past with turbo subaru motors, so I was a bit concerned with the lack of power in the YXZ.

My first impressions are that the suspension is dialed in really well. I was doing the break in on the motor, but opened it up a few times through the washes, and the suspension soaked up everything I threw at it. The steering is effortless, and the car just begs to be tossed around through the corners. The shifting is more responsive than I anticipated, but is a bit clunky. The brakes were good, but not great in my opinion. I felt like there could definitely be more stopping power. As far as power, I think it's decent, but I think it's a very capable platform to start with. My street car is in excess of 700hp (Built LS7), so I have to set realistic expectations. Overall I was very happy with how it ran, and functioned, and it was definitely the center of attention anywhere we stopped. I'm now on the hunt for new tires, and leaning towards the Tensor A/Ts. Looking forward to more seat time, and mods in the future! Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Off-roading Vehicle Gauge Tachometer Car Speedometer Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Suspension Auto part Suspension part Vehicle Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car Bumper

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the forum! Good to hear your first impressions. Give the brakes some time for break in. I too thought they were mediocre. I did bleed mine due to a low pedal, and did get some air out of the system. Other than that, the pads need to seat in. They will get better. Tranny is a bid clunky, but break in time as well as technique will improve the shifting quality. It shifts better the higher in the RPM range you are. These really are an amazing platform to start off with. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I am mine!

Reactions: MMLX89

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great advice, I'm glad to hear that things will improve as it breaks in more. Definitely a heck of a lot of fun out there this past weekend.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah, trans is clunky if lugging the motor and just doing slow shifts. Now kick the rpm up and a quick jab at the clutch and shifter, it's smooth as silk.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't say enough good things about Veys Power Sports if you are local to San Diego. Mine was on the showroom floor, and I believe they have several on their way. The price and process were both fair and very efficient.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice review. Sorry about the tire. Makes me wonder why Yamaha put a tire known for failure on such a premium sxs.
Once everything breaks in the tranny should smooth out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice review. Sorry about the tire. Makes me wonder why Yamaha put a tire known for failure on such a premium sxs.
Once everything breaks in the tranny should smooth out.
I think it's so that the tires are on the same maintenance schedule as all of the fluids. Easier to just replace all of them every 10 hours.

:cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great write up and Deeyoh is right about the shifting. I hope that I am not out of place here, I am only trying to help. If you decide to stay with the same tires I have a new set of take offs for $400 plus shipping (I live in Northern California, but I may be going down to Ocotillo next week). Let me know if you have any interest.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great write up and Deeyoh is right about the shifting. I hope that I am not out of place here, I am only trying to help. If you decide to stay with the same tires I have a new set of take offs for $400 plus shipping (I live in Northern California, but I may be going down to Ocotillo next week). Let me know if you have any interest.
That's a heck of a deal, the stockers are actually back ordered. I am struggling with replacing the one, or just get a new set. I will definitely keep you in mind before next week.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I too blew out a sidewall. Blew mine out on relatively smooth trail at 25 mph. The big horn 2.0 seem like junk. I put 28" tensors on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I too blew out a sidewall. Blew mine out on relatively smooth trail at 25 mph. The big horn 2.0 seem like junk. I put 28" tensors on.
Are you typically just a hard pack rider? I am really leaning towards the Tensors, but wondering how the will do in sand? I assume I'll need to just get a completely separate sand setup?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Are you typically just a hard pack rider? I am really leaning towards the Tensors, but wondering how the will do in sand? I assume I'll need to just get a completely separate sand setup?
I have taken my Tensor's in the sand and they did great at 8psi, had no issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes I'm usually on hard packed desert trails. I have in the past always kept my big horns for trips to the dunes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great review!! Glad you like it!!! I have the pitbulls growlers waiting for my yxz, had a bit of trouble from dealer saying he couldn't get them to fit but I heard great things about the tensor regulators.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts