Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off we both love the Mach ... It is really built good no rattles even at speed brakes are awesome and the sound of the motor awesome ..
Pros .. Most fun driving anything I have ever drove period have have a 600hp mustang and brother has a viper
Feels really light in woods very very nimble
Has way more than enough power to do anything you want
Shifting is pretty smooth and adds a lot of fun to Mach
It WILL climb some knarley stuff. We did today.
Like driving a Porsche in the woods
Cons. Is NOT a crawler. A recluse I hope will help. It's not happy on rough trails and when I say rough I mean big ledges big logs deep ditches. Does not like them. You can do it ... But I guarantee Yama sells a lot a lot of clutches to people on the east cost
Rear is way way over sprung. I race motorcross and woods and very good suspension guy. Out west it is probably really close out if the box. But when speeds get under 30 way to stuff in the back. And it won't fly right in stock trim. I read all the post about back kicking. (Most Sxs do). But unfortunately there correct I have a real low slope jump I made just for Sxs ( I build Moto tracks ) and my wildcat x I could go 65 feet easy. I couldn't go over 40 ft o so in Yama because if rear kicking up.
Should be simple spring fix I'm sure not only person feels this way and a fix will
Be around the corner

Bad .... Only problem so far with 40 miles is rear sway bar .. Everyone needs to look at yours if you own a machine after only few (rough ) miles. There is a compressed aluminum collar on each side of rear sway bar that keeps it from going left and right. On mine and my brothers the collars have came loose and allows sway bar to move left and right and throws it out of alignment bad. I'm going to push both back to correct position and put a couple tack welds on back side so collar can't slide. You can't weld collar it's aluminum and is just crimped but if you put a big dimple behind it should keep it from moving
So ..... If your wanting a trail machine that you and your wife can go ride on this is not it. ... Not saying by any means you can't. (I will). But it's not easy. Big short ditch you will cuss a lot befour you get out or find a spot and jump it lol.
But ... If you want to haul the mail and slip slide around then it is.
My best compareision is any other Sxs is like a modded utility 4 wheeler .....yxz is like a yzf 450 quad you have to drive it like a sport quad.
We both love ours. And hopefully recluse will help. I don't thnk it will solve the problem but will help it really needs either more gearing in diffs or perfect world a 2 speed box between motor and trans so high will be like it is and then have a low range with 5 speeds. Hope Yama is listening and I bet we have recall on the rear sway bars. Everyon needs to check there's

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I have video of couple of vids as soon as I can figure out how I will post. And we did do 75mph on dirt in 4TH !!!!! And where rear is stiff it feels like your on marbles wants to float around a little

·
Registered
47 Posts
And where rear is stiff it feels like your on marbles wants to float around a little
Absolutely and Thank YOU for that. I was beginning to think I was the only one that felt like the rear end was on Marbles.

I only have 7 hrs or so on mine so I was holding off on a semi- negative review but the suspension is almost terrible in the rear and I have no confidence whatsoever in the attitude its gonna take off a jump.

Great Info Coondog28!

JD

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep my friend had my wildcat x limited that he bought from me so we could compare. At 70mph + on dirt and not real smooth dirt has water bars and rite in the cat you feel like you on a Sunday drive. Not that the Yama is bad it's not. But it wants to wander a little. I think springs will help and the steering is so responsive it makes it little sensitive. But I really do love the Yama. Someone makes a way to lower gears a little 75 mph in 4th lol. And get suspension sorted and wil
Be best thing ever built. Not for everone but I love it ..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think you guys didn't realize what you were driving. My rear end was a bit loose also but guess what my tires had 26 pounds of air. Dealer error. Lowered to 14 pounds and it's a different machine. I have to go 2 mph over wood logs and steep climbs to get to the nice smooth trails close to my house. I don't even touch the clutch at 2 mph. If you wanted a slow paced, easy driving, grandma car than you should've kept your can am and rzr. This the FIRST sport/racing oriented machine. If you want something that does not require work buy a golf cart Man up. If not don't complain about what you got unless it's a real complaint.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ls7 I got 500$ if you want to come and try to follow me mine had 20 in it also I am down to 8 in front and 10 in back. ALL comp back completely out. Front rebound all way out rear all way in and springs backed out till when jacked up barely enough tension to keep spring from rattling. If you don't think rear end is WAY to stiff your a complete moron. I am not a hater I love the machine the purpose of this forum is so people can talk and make things better. I have raced moto and woods for 20 + years and I am dam fast and I know suspension. Where the wheel base is short it has to be perfect I have video and no matter what adjusting you did still kicked ass in air. And the hills we climb are straight up and 80 ft tall. Wfo and about 20 ft run maybe and still when come out the top bounce to one side or other. My old x I had suspension set perfect and stock to stock there is no comparison. But the x has 5 in wheel base and that helps alot. So take yourself to another post where other people don't know shit like you but everyone on this post wants to make it better and I, sure after we are done it will be sweet. But fact is fact it is way over sprung in rear. PERIOD. Not hating wanting to make better

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think you guys didn't realize what you were driving. My rear end was a bit loose also but guess what my tires had 26 pounds of air. Dealer error. Lowered to 14 pounds and it's a different machine. I have to go 2 mph over wood logs and steep climbs to get to the nice smooth trails close to my house. I don't even touch the clutch at 2 mph. If you wanted a slow paced, easy driving, grandma car than you should've kept your can am and rzr. This the FIRST sport/racing oriented machine. If you want something that does not require work buy a golf cart Man up. If not don't complain about what you got unless it's a real complaint.

Comments like this is why this forum sux.

Sounds like OP has valid experience and opinions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Comments like this is why this forum sux.

Sounds like OP has valid experience and opinions.
Did you notice he has nice smooth trails and he idles over the rough stuff @ 2mph?

There is a "MAN" who knows how to judge suspension right there!

2 mph? Does he even own one?

JD

·
Registered
329 Posts
Gear selection, rpm, where throttle is applied makes a big difference with this machine. If it is donkey kicking and the jump face is longer than the wheelbase of your machine, try a lower gear for more rpms, 4wd helps keep the nose up. Remember to stay on the throttle in the air. If you "pause" on the throttle right at the end of the jump, it will drop rhw nose. This machine doesn't free spool at all so it is not as forgiving on shorter jumps and does require more skill. This machine flies beautifully if you know how. What do you think I have been doing today :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ls7 I got 500$ if you want to come and try to follow me mine had 20 in it also I am down to 8 in front and 10 in back. ALL comp back completely out. Front rebound all way out rear all way in and springs backed out till when jacked up barely enough tension to keep spring from rattling. If you don't think rear end is WAY to stiff your a complete moron. I am not a hater I love the machine the purpose of this forum is so people can talk and make things better. I have raced moto and woods for 20 + years and I am dam fast and I know suspension. Where the wheel base is short it has to be perfect I have video and no matter what adjusting you did still kicked ass in air. And the hills we climb are straight up and 80 ft tall. Wfo and about 20 ft run maybe and still when come out the top bounce to one side or other. My old x I had suspension set perfect and stock to stock there is no comparison. But the x has 5 in wheel base and that helps alot. So take yourself to another post where other people don't know shit like you but everyone on this post wants to make it better and I, sure after we are done it will be sweet. But fact is fact it is way over sprung in rear. PERIOD. Not hating wanting to make better
Try setting your shocks entirely back to stock settings to exactly what the manual says. Also don't confuse a stiff sway bar with stiff shocks. A stiff sway bar is rarely a bad thing in high speed offroading.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I'm not getting a fight started here but I know what I am talking about the (stock) settings are horriable. What I did helped some. I am not a newbe who has never worked on suspension. What I said is a fact. You must have not read the post??? I build tracks. I have a full size motorcross track in my yard 20 ft from my house I know if the jump has to much vert at the bottom or if the face is to short (can't seat bounce a Sxs) it will kick. This is a jump I made specifically for my wildcat x Sxs. I could hit it WFO and go about 60+ feet. The yxz can not. I wasn't bashing it. I love it I will get lighter springs or maybe a helper with a slider or 2 new springs. I build rock crawlerr I know how to weigh a machine and get spring rates bla bla bla. Bla. The dam thing has to stiff spring in back. Now .... There is some people who say there's fly straight id love to see a video of a
Jump at least 40 foot or more and it flying straight ... I have plenty of it kicking the ass
Way in the air on a jump made for a Sxs Fact I just want to get it sorted so I can drive it like I know it will go. It's not bad but it's not right ..... Maybe the springs are sourced from a supplier and some ate softer from the factory than others. But me and my brother bought one. And on both doing same thing. Kickin ass way heigh and rear sway bars ring stops are loose allowing rear sway bar to move left and right out of alligment .... If any one has a duel spring set up that works or a helper maybe that works I am interested in buying it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is the butt kicking into the air or just the nose dropping over the distance of the jump? I was on a dirtbike motocross track yesterday and was tearing up the table tops. I was landing in the flats also with no problem. Yes the nose would land first but it never kicked the butt in the air. No these weren't 40-50' table tops but when landing in the flats I was going a good 20-30'. I am not trying to argue or keep you from spending your money just curious. I am not doubting your ability and I too have built quite a few jumps over the years for everything from an rx7 to sxs' s to pitbikes and rc cars. (Yes, rx7 ' s fly surprisingly well)
I am asking bc in my experience shorter jumps are harder to keep the nose up bc you have to burp it up the ramp face and it did surprisingly well. I have not hit high speed very flat ramp face yet but 40'-50' won't be hard at all in 3rd gear as far as I was going in 2nd. I had to let off and then burp it up the face bc it was very easy to overshoot

·
Registered
74 Posts
The tack weld will create a stress raiser and at some point cause the sway bar to fail. Some aluminum split collars should be enough to help locate the bar.

·
Registered
329 Posts
In my experience, with long flat jump faces, suspension settings do not effect take off very much. It is very important on short jumps, whoops, etc. but long jumps not as much bc the suspension is idle on take off.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The tack weld will create a stress raiser and at some point cause the sway bar to fail. Some aluminum split collars should be enough to help locate the bar.
You are absolutely correct. Any heat added (welding) to the sway bar will change the spring rate of the swaybar and also make it more likely to break

1 - 20 of 40 Posts