Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Oh so it can go real slow over rocks, Well people we were also told it would be bad for the tight trails, Wrong! We were told that it would be hard n a pain in the azz with shifting all the time in the dunes, Wrong! We were told since it was dyno'ed its only 83hp at the rear wheels n this thing is going to be slow n that the rzr's, Can am's were going to walk away from it, N even the Wildcat X would beat it, Wrong! We are also told that it will be hard, lousy, n will not be able to rock crawl, Well that is still up in the air n waiting for the results. Hope that we can put that to rest soon. Thanks for the video. How do u like the YXZ so far? I think that u said that u were going to take it to moab rt? Cant wait to see that video. Thanks again for ur time to do this for us.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have been to Moab twice this year, and plan on going again next month. The YXZ will shine in Moab! There is such diverse terrain there, but the big trails like Poison Spider, Hell's Revenge, etc. the YXZ will kill it. Not many trails have lots of loose rocks, but slick rock. If you add a recluse clutch, this will make this varied terrain even easier to traverse. I have a 14 Kawasaki Teryx 4, and it glides up most of the obstacles at between 4 to 8 mph, it weighs more than the YXZ and has half the HP. The Teryx is a rock crawler, but 4-5 mph is still the minimum speed at idle.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Those are easy trails in the video above. The only time it looked like it was going to do anything even remotely difficult was at the 2:32 mark . .. but the video was edited and suddenly it was more to its right on an easier path. Everything else was cakewalk stuff that any ATV or SxS could do. Just about any golf cart could traverse little stuff like that.

The guys I run with run through stuff like that at 30 or 40 mph or more.

But hey everyone has different definitions of what "difficult" is and if this kind of terrain is the toughest thing you tackle then more power to you, the machine will work for you fine.

It would be nice if Yamaha would bring out a trail version of this machine, and rumors are that is what is coming next.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Some things were just not meant for us to conquer in a SXS, or any vehicle for that matter. That is why we have two legs and a brain!

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is what you are really want to see the YXZ do:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ6atGhmVU8

Lmao-- when I saw this vid I thought of you TxChris.. Burning clutches and how stupid you must think we are.. Lol
That was funny . . . .. gonna burn off these tires . .. . . "Bye bye $600 dollars" . . .. . .. . ... "That was not the tires" . . . . . .. but he was confident about burning off those tires just as some on here are confident the YXZ will be able to make tough climbs with super shallow gearing.

It is not that I think anyone is stupid, it is that I live in the real world and know that a shallow geared clutch will die quick in difficult technical riding. A YXZ would be in trouble on Ingrids Revenge, all those places I got hung up and had to go back and forth back and forth under load would create tremendous heat in the clutch. It wouldn't have anything to do with smart or stupid, if you wanted to make that trail you would HAVE to slip the piss out of it to be able to move.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That video showed me what I wanted to see. I don't plan to do any "rock crawling" tougher than that and if I did I'd get a different f'ing machine!

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
617 Posts
That was funny . . . .. gonna burn off these tires . .. . . "Bye bye $600 dollars" . . .. . .. . ... "That was not the tires" . . . . . .. but he was confident about burning off those tires just as some on here are confident the YXZ will be able to make tough climbs with super shallow gearing.

It is not that I think anyone is stupid, it is that I live in the real world and know that a shallow geared clutch will die quick in difficult technical riding. A YXZ would be in trouble on Ingrids Revenge, all those places I got hung up and had to go back and forth back and forth under load would create tremendous heat in the clutch. It wouldn't have anything to do with smart or stupid, if you wanted to make that trail you would HAVE to slip the piss out of it to be able to move.

So do you really have any interest in buying a YXZ, or do you just visit this forum to bust everyone's balls that does?
I'm not trying to be an a$$ I would really like to know your motivation. Almost every post is very negative and I'm wondering if you are the same way over at the RZR foum. If so at least your constant I guess.:confused:

·
Registered
681 Posts
So do you really have any interest in buying a YXZ, or do you just visit this forum to bust everyone's balls that does?
I'm not trying to be an a$$ I would really like to know your motivation. Almost every post is very negative and I'm wondering if you are the same way over at the RZR foum. If so at least your constant I guess.:confused:
That's what I'm saying I don't get it either.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's what I'm saying I don't get it either.
Aaron if the video showed you what you wanted to see then move on, why are you here still worried about what others think when you have already been satisfied that it can handle the cruises on the golf course that you do?

I bet you guys are always in everyone else's business all the time. You are so worried that everyone must be just like you that it drives you crazy if they aren't. I can just see you telling your neighbor that he cuts his grass wrong that he should go in circles like you rather than back and forth.

Do you really have any interest in buying a YXZ yourselves or do you just worry about what other people may or may not be doing? I am not on RZR forum, shows what you don't know but flap your gums on anyway.

There are several of us that are interested in the capabilities of the machine . . . what it may OR may not do well. . . . rather than just sit in a circle holding hands and singing songs about how wonderful it must be in every way possible we are in the real world trying to find out where this thing stands, good OR bad, it all matters.

But I am glad I have fans like you guys to follow me around and worry about what I think.

·
Registered
97 Posts

I understand where you are coming from because I live in the real world too. And in the real world all machines have their strengths and weaknesses. I built my rzr to be a crawler- I had 18 inch of clearance with 30inch tires. It would walk and crawl over most everything at Windrock with little trouble - so much so it became boring....

...but when I got it out on more open trails, the big tires robbed power and body roll was severe at high speed turns- not fun.

As for the YXZ, it's really unfair to speculate on what it can or can't do without mastering the vehicle first. As repeated over and over it will be more challenging in the rough and technical stuff just because of the manual- that's a no brainier. There would be noway I would want to spend all day in a rock garden with it, but when encountering the rough places on our trails , maybe i can get back those butterflys again about just how interesting is this going to get.

Still on the fence about getting the YXZ...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Aaron if the video showed you what you wanted to see then move on, why are you here still worried about what others think when you have already been satisfied that it can handle the cruises on the golf course that you do?

I bet you guys are always in everyone else's business all the time. You are so worried that everyone must be just like you that it drives you crazy if they aren't. I can just see you telling your neighbor that he cuts his grass wrong that he should go in circles like you rather than back and forth.

Do you really have any interest in buying a YXZ yourselves or do you just worry about what other people may or may not be doing? I am not on RZR forum, shows what you don't know but flap your gums on anyway.

There are several of us that are interested in the capabilities of the machine . . . what it may OR may not do well. . . . rather than just sit in a circle holding hands and singing songs about how wonderful it must be in every way possible we are in the real world trying to find out where this thing stands, good OR bad, it all matters.

But I am glad I have fans like you guys to follow me around and worry about what I think.
I don't care what anyone does and I don't have neighbors to judge if I wanted to.

And YOU sir seem like the one worried about what people think by trying to prove how bad the YXZ is gonna suck by posting ridiculous videos of things it cannot do and saying it'll be the worst at this or try doing this with a manual. I can make my own determinations without you trying to force your opinions down my throat (at every instance on every thread).

So I was simply agreeing with Leadmic as I don't understand the negativity or your mission to put down the YXZ. This is a YXZ forum and I for one am excited with this new and different product whether or not it can climb up vertical rock ledges or if "it" finishes in the bottom half after it's first race in stock form.

You do this all over the forum so it's what you like to do...have at it man this is America (leave it at that please).

·
Registered
341 Posts
I understand where you are coming from because I live in the real world too. And in the real world all machines have their strengths and weaknesses. I built my rzr to be a crawler- I had 18 inch of clearance with 30inch tires. It would walk and crawl over most everything at Windrock with little trouble - so much so it became boring....

...but when I got it out on more open trails, the big tires robbed power and body roll was severe at high speed turns- not fun.

As for the YXZ, it's really unfair to speculate on what it can or can't do without mastering the vehicle first. As repeated over and over it will be more challenging in the rough and technical stuff just because of the manual- that's a no brainier. There would be noway I would want to spend all day in a rock garden with it, but when encountering the rough places on our trails , maybe i can get back those butterflys again about just how interesting is this going to get.

Still on the fence about getting the YXZ...
I have 5 sets of tires for my wildcat depending on what terrain I am going to mostly be on for that ride, it solves the problem mostly of "tires for terrain"

I want a blue one and I can't have it for a few months because they don't have them out, but the longer Yamaha takes in getting them out the more people get to mull over buying it or not. Now I am on the fence because it seems this is squarely aimed at sand and smoother road like trails, and I am not sure I would get my money's worth out of it for just that. I am really starting to think that by the time they come with the blue/white that they will be on top of releasing their trail version of this platform and then waiting for it and the next Wildcat might be the smart thing to do rather than make this machine do what it isn't really meant to do.

To me the great success of the sport SxS is its ability to "do everything" pretty good. In trying to create the highest performing dune SxS Yamaha may have been forced to abandon some of that "do everything" ability. The key for each individual buyer will be can you live with it's shortcomings or not. I just can't see pounding this thing through mud or rolling it on rocks etc etc etc trying to make it do stuff like a RZR or Wildcat or Maverick or Teryx or whatever else anyone beats on that they own. It kinda comes across as a sand prema-donna. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts