Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

2016 YXZ with 1475 miles and 102 hours on it. Only performance mods are Alba SBD kit. Also have a manual timing chain tensioner installed.

I was doing an oil change on my YXZ and took notice that my engine oil has a lovely pearl to it 馃槖. I pulled the oil screen and it鈥檚 pretty darn clean. I also cut the filter open, it looked pretty clean as well, just a few very small flakes. (Well at least what I would consider small). Also note, this was the first time I ever pulled the oil screen out of the oil tank. I purchased the machine 2 years ago with 300 miles and 26 hours. Performance wise it hasn鈥檛 lost any power and is running the same. Valve clearances we鈥檙e checked about 400 miles ago and all within spec.

I was going to send a sample of the oil out for analysis but was looking for recommendations of who to send it to. Anybody have a good recommendation?

Here are some photos of the oil, oil screen, and oil filter. Feel free to let me know what your thoughts are.

Appreciate any insight/help you can provide.

Wood Rectangle Flooring Pattern Linens

Textile Finger Creative arts Beige Wood

Tool Wire fencing Jewellery Metal Blade

Finger Beige Wood Close-up Art

Sleeve Wrist Jewellery Eyewear Musical instrument

Tableware Dishware Drinkware Serveware Ingredient

Registered
I would be very concerned about chain and chain guide wear with the manual tensioner. Get rid of that thing and closely inspect your cam chain. I do not think that is normal even for break-in period. Something is wrong IMO...

Reactions: WWARt

Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
That oil does look suspect. I would defiantly send a sample to have it analyzed. As for where to send it I don't have a clue. Maybe someone else will chime in with a place, that or Google.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. Definitely going to send an oil sample out for analysis. Rebuilding a motor is a lot cheaper when a rod hasn鈥檛 grenaded through the wall of the block. I prefer to nip stuff in the bud before it really goes south. I just wasn鈥檛 sure if anyone knew a company that specializes in oil analysis on stuff like Side by Sides/Powersports.

@sandman89 - It鈥檚 had 3 oil changes since I purchased it in August of 2020.

@fortrdb - I put the manual timing chain on after reading about people having issues with the OE ones failing. I haven鈥檛 read though where people had any issues after they switched over to a manual one. I would guess that most issues from a manual one would have a lot of to do with who鈥檚 installing it and making sure they put it within spec.

Registered
2016 Yxz 1000r EPS
I would definitely have the oil checked out. I have used Blackstone oil analysis, in the past. As far as being a sxs or not isn't really relevant, most engines are internally the same as far as bearings and metals used to make them. All will shed particulates to a degree just how much is the reason to have the oil checked.

Registered
First two oil changes, first at 200 miles, second at 700 miles, did not look like that. Looked like regular brownish burnt oil. I would say that's oil and water/coolant, and maybe a little glitter... Oil analysis and it doesn't hurt to ask a local Yamaha authorized dealer, speak to their Yamaha tech, I'm sure they've seen it all.

More research across other forums all say bearing wear and or/ timing issues / crank grinding. Also moisture from driving in the rain/ having a snorkel or sand in the intake.

A full engine rebuild nut & bolt from Yamaha is 5k+ in parts top to bottom and 2k+ in labor. I have the breakdown if you want it lol.

If you catch something early like just bad crank bearings, you can get away with replacing them and the crank if it's bad or other bottom end parts, whatever's bad.

Some will say change the oil and ride it out again but that again can be the difference in wear of tolerances between repairable and having to get all new motor.

With my diesel truck, personal car, and the YXZ, some things are worth the $250 diagnostic fee from the dealer for peace of mind you're going to get the correct answer...

Registered
Haven't ever studied the exact layout of engine to primary drive.

Doesn't the wet clutch in these use the same oil the engine is using ?

Testing the antifreeze for combustion by-products is another simple inexpensive test.

Personally I think you just worked this oil a little harder and evey thing is ok.

Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
Haven't ever studied the exact layout of engine to primary drive.

Doesn't the wet clutch in these use the same oil the engine is using ?

Testing the antifreeze for combustion by-products is another simple inexpensive test.

Personally I think you just worked this oil a little harder and evey thing is ok.
Nope, the engine and transmission do not share any oil. They are completely separate and the clutch is in the transmission.

Registered
That is pretty funny. Thought I was on the Wolverine RMAX forum.

Yea I know how the YXZ is laid out and where the clutch is at. I do complete fluids every 250 miles. Had that trans screen out every time and it is clean as a whistle. Same for oil tank screen.

Trans is in middle of car between the seats. It is in front of the engine. o_O

Best of luck in any case and hope it is nothing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, got my oil analysis back. According to their write up there isn鈥檛 any excessive metal wear but I don鈥檛 understand all the numbers in the report. It also states the stuff they measure is microscopic and too small to be seen by the naked eye. Anything you can see is too large for our machine to read.
Anybody have any experience with reading these or interpreting them? Attached is a copy of the report.
Appreciate any help.

Attachments

Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
It sure looks like by their report that you are good to go. What brand of oil are you using? The picture you posted of your oil sure look odd to me, ma
maybe its the light.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@leadmic - I was running Maxima ProPlus 10W40. (Also attached a picture of it.) And I鈥檓 right there with ya, that oil certainly looked alarming. Granted the picture I took of the oil was out in direct sunlight and I was stirring it, but I didn鈥檛 need to be in the sun to be able to see the shininess.

So I鈥檓 kinda at a crossroad, don鈥檛 know if I should just run it and see what the next oil change looks like? I do plan to call Blackstone Laboratories today and discuss the analysis with them further.

Attachments

Registered
Based on the report it doesnt appear as though anything catastrophic has occurred. The oil properties are in range, and the high mineral content is likely from the additive package in the oil. Id be inclined to run it and dump the oil at a short interval, say 100 miles or so. I would also check all of the intake plumbing for loose connections, cracks etc. Just to verify you arent sucking in garbage through the intake that may be ending up in the oil.

Registered
I鈥檇 say that you did your diligence.

Regarding the microscopic vs visual simply means that they don鈥檛 read larger pcs that you鈥檇 be able to see anyway.

My oil looked similar to that in the sun during break in (I use Yamaha semi-syn).

Your oil was tested, it鈥檚 fine, I鈥檇 run it with new oil and stay on a good oil change schedule.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts