Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got some seat time today and wanted to share my thoughts.
It's important to know background to give creditable to report. I come from a sport/race quad back ground and this is my first SxS. Quads I have spent time with and owned are Blaster, Banshee, Ltr500, Ltr250, Trx250, Kfx400, raptor 660, ltr450, Yfz450r, Kodak 400, scrambler 400, Renagade 1000, and grizzly 700.
I have a hour in a fox razor, an 15 min in a maverick.
The YXZ is a sport quad vs the razor in my option compares to a utility quad.
It took about 15 min to get comfortable with shifting and the motor. If you ride sport quads or bikes you will know what I mean. I love how you set up corners with tranny, clutch and throttle! I am total impressed with the torque of this motor. It lugs way low, and has a power spread I have never experience in any of my quads. After taking it easy for break in p, the rush of the over 8k rpm is breath taking.
As far as first gear and clutch, again if you can ride a sport quad or dirt bike, you will have no problem. It requires input but what a reward. Like a sport quad, it is a point and shoot type of riding style. I love it.
Suspension?
Unbelievable! I set it to standard settings for this run and I hit everything HARD! Whoops, chop, drop offs, you name it, it took it. Plush? What do you expect, my full on built yfz450r with Fox shocks would not be able to keep up.
My advice is if you come from a background like mine you will love the YXZ. If you ride utility quads or CVTs you will need to adjust your riding style.
My test was done in a smaller dune type area in western idaho, with a mix of terrain.
This is EXACTLY what I wanted, thank you Yamaha!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
My first impression was very similar to this one. A learning curve that can be overcome with seat time. Then it is outstanding to drive.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think those of us that are really enjoying this car can also understand why someone would not enjoy it. To each their own.
I agree with this statement completely. This car is so much more different than any of the others. I knew right off the bat it would be harder to drive, and harder to learn.

But after owning (9) of the others, I am very pleased with the differences!

·
Registered
68 Posts
As Mine hasn't showed up yet, it's great to hear feedback like this. For years I've had friends with Razr's and Rhinos in the dunes. I have driven numerous different units all have a CVT. Although they are point and shoot and very able, I would often think how "boring" it is to just smash the gas and go. Don't get me wrong, it was still fun, a lot of fun, but I felt that something was missing and Im positive it will be the interactive experience with a shifter transmission. I finally bit the bullet in April of this year and bought a XP1000. It was a blast, and super easy to drive. I was pissed that the Turbo came out so I sold it....then the YXZ came out and here we are...With the Turbo kits getting better by the minute, I know my plan and patience will be well worth it. Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty spot on initial impression. However, comparing a rzr to a utility quad is a bit of a stretch.:rolleyes:
Maybe I should clarify, a very sporty utility quad, like a Renagade. And my reference coincides with drivetrain and handling. No utility quad can handle like a sport quad as far as percision is concerned. I feel the Rzr is similar.

Not putting utility quads or rzrs down, just using them as a reference. I have seen some amazing riders on both Utes and rzrs, but the YXZ is a dream come true for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts