Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Northern California and like a lot of you ride mountain trails and steep crazy hills more than I ride the dunes. I too have been very concerned about the first gear ratio and the ability of this machine to perform in these conditions. Well, I got to take a very short test drive in a YXZ in the parking lot of a dealer on Friday. The first thing I noticed when I started the motor was how you can feel the motor running, not in a bad way just mechanical. When you blip the throttle, the motor responds instantly and sounds like a bad azz street bike!! I put the car in first and let the clutch out without touching the gas.
The car starting rolling without hesitation and when I gave it gas it accelerated smoothly. I wanted to open it open and and feel the power but they were nice enough to let me drive it around so i just putted, besides I know this thing will rip I was more curious about low speed cruising. I was moving along at 8 mph and shifted into 2nd, the car did fine and held 8. I gave it gas without slipping the clutch and the car accelerated smoothly. I expected it to "Chug" or shake from lugging the motor, it just accelerated smoothly. I know this was not a perfect test, I was just putting around on a blacktop parking lot but this thing has some crazy smooth torque down low and seemed to handle the lugging I gave the motor very well. I feel much better about how this thing is going to work climbing hills and with the Reckluse clutch I think it will be fine. I look forward to someone actually climbing with one and posting comments.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I don't know what it is with a 3 cylinder! I have a triumph 800 tripple and loaded down with the wife and I , that thing will cruse the the mountains in 4 gear from 20mph to 60 and never have to shift! They lug very well!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Once a vehicle is moving it takes very little force to keep it moving on flat ground. The average person would be able to keep it going with 1 hand pushing it, so any engine could also do that. Asking it to lift its own weight up over a ledge at lower rpm is a much different story, and four people probably couldn't do that with everything they had, and I suspect neither will the engine at low rpm.

But hopefully it works out for you and anyone else hoping for a lot of low end grunt for rocks and climbing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts