Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I’m brand new to this whole SxS thing. I moved from Texas where I didn’t even know these things existed (lol) to Mesa AZ where they are everywhere. After one guided tour in a rental I knew I had to be a part of this. I looked for 6 months just waiting for the one that would jump out and claim me. Well this week I found her. A 2016 YXZ1000R owned by a guy who had hoped his boys would get into it, but never did (couldn’t make friends with a stick) in 5 years he put a whopping 667 miles on her and not a single scratch. One test drive and I could hardly keep my composure long enough to negotiate a price.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations. Do a search and you will see the stock cage is junk and dangerous. Suggest cage and harnesses a must in my opinion.
Thanks I have 4 point harnesses. Hopefully I can keep it on 4 wheels while I save up for a cage upgrade

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
238 Posts
Congrats bud!! I'm up in Scottsdale and I'm down in Mesa every week at some point visiting family. I have a '16 YXZ and there are a ton of great places out here to hit - only bad part is summer is coming and it's toasty..

I'm out currently after shoulder surgery so it'll be July before I am back at it. Shoot me a message and I can help point you to some different rides if you need any or want to go out sometime.

Jason

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats bud!! I'm up in Scottsdale and I'm down in Mesa every week at some point visiting family. I have a '16 YXZ and there are a ton of great places out here to hit - only bad part is summer is coming and it's toasty..

I'm out currently after shoulder surgery so it'll be July before I am back at it. Shoot me a message and I can help point you to some different rides if you need any or want to go out sometime.

Jason
Thanks Jason, we’ll get together for sure. I live less than a mile from an entrance in the Tonto Nat Forest, so that will most likely be my first permit purchased. In the market for a suitable trailer now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congratulations! I'm a new owner too as of 5/6/21 and so far the experience of ownership has exceeded my expectations! It has also opened my eyes to the world of accessories... Where I live the First MOST important add-on, a Rear Window hands down. Unless you already blew a ton on helmet with fresh air particulate remover or like the taste of dust a window is not necessary. Tires - Hard Pack version is the 2nd most important thing. I like to take a night ride across town to the Ice Cream stand, eats up the knobbies on asphalt and waaay less squirrely on hard pack roads with loose sand, gravel. From there it's optional until you talk Sand Dunes --- a whole new set of rules apply here and another 5 to 10 Grand in Sand accessories. Enjoy the YXZ how you want to but I recommend keeping it close to stock as long as you can. Once you go down that road it goes on and on and on LOL:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations! I'm a new owner too as of 5/6/21 and so far the experience of ownership has exceeded my expectations! It has also opened my eyes to the world of accessories... Where I live the First MOST important add-on, a Rear Window hands down. Unless you already blew a ton on helmet with fresh air particulate remover or like the taste of dust a window is not necessary. Tires - Hard Pack version is the 2nd most important thing. I like to take a night ride across town to the Ice Cream stand, eats up the knobbies on asphalt and waaay less squirrely on hard pack roads with loose sand, gravel. From there it's optional until you talk Sand Dunes --- a whole new set of rules apply here and another 5 to 10 Grand in Sand accessories. Enjoy the YXZ how you want to but I recommend keeping it close to stock as long as you can. Once you go down that road it goes on and on and on LOL:ROFLMAO:
Yeah I just bought helmets yesterday, spent last weekend changing ALL the oils and filters enjoying the bonding time getting to know the basics of preventative maintenance. Wonder why Yamaha didn’t design little hatches to check engine and xmission oils.. seems to obvious that removing all those panels was not going to a big hit with owners. Looking for for recommendations on a good street/hard desert tire. I hate the idea of burning up good knobbies unnecessarily. It only has 700 miles so I’m hoping for the best with the clutch, but I’m teaching my kids to drive so I know it’s inevitable that it will take a beating too soon. When it finally does I’ll probably bite the bullet and go with the gear change, clutch oil mod and Barnett clutch all at once. I’m also looking for the smallest trailer I can find that will work ( with the hope I can fit it in the garage and not have to build an RV gate extension just to park a trailer. First mod will be BCF cage ( well cause we are a bit crazy and live life on the edge) and I don’t want to injure my family or myself or total it. Any trailer or tire suggestions form anyone would be much appreciated.. can’t wait to hit the trails this weekend. It’s going to be in the 100’s but it is what it is..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah I just bought helmets yesterday, spent last weekend changing ALL the oils and filters enjoying the bonding time getting to know the basics of preventative maintenance. Wonder why Yamaha didn’t design little hatches to check engine and xmission oils.. seems to obvious that removing all those panels was not going to a big hit with owners. Looking for for recommendations on a good street/hard desert tire. I hate the idea of burning up good knobbies unnecessarily. It only has 700 miles so I’m hoping for the best with the clutch, but I’m teaching my kids to drive so I know it’s inevitable that it will take a beating too soon. When it finally does I’ll probably bite the bullet and go with the gear change, clutch oil mod and Barnett clutch all at once. I’m also looking for the smallest trailer I can find that will work ( with the hope I can fit it in the garage and not have to build an RV gate extension just to park a trailer. First mod will be BCF cage ( well cause we are a bit crazy and live life on the edge) and I don’t want to injure my family or myself or total it. Any trailer or tire suggestions form anyone would be much appreciated.. can’t wait to hit the trails this weekend. It’s going to be in the 100’s but it is what it is..
if you search aroind you will find access ports people buy off amazon so stick in those stupid covers to check the oil. It’s pretty much the same as that stupid little “storage” port they give you on the driver side. You just cut and mount that same style lid for the passenger. But for me. I hve 5k on mine. Change my oil every 800 miles or so and it’s never been low or used any. So I’m just to lazy to add the ports or remove the covers to check it. I did everytime I rode for the first couple thousand. But at this point. If it blows imma turbo build it 😁👍

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
238 Posts
Well - docs cleared me to go riding, just don't go crazy... Been out a few times - hit Table Mesa Rd area around the rains and it was fun, dirt was incredible...

I'm up in Cave Creek and went out around 5:30pm - it was a blast driving in the rain (windshield of course), bombing puddles with my nephew laughing, but there was so much rain that we were turned around 5 times trying to just get home. The washes were so full there was no way around them except the really major roads. I will say I know exactly where every leak is - and I want a rear plastic or window when the windshield is down... I was getting water and mist pulled up and back into the cab covering everything..

Going out tomorrow somewhere near Prescott (weather dependent)..

We should get out sometime!
Jason

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went out last night took bulldog canyon to Apache Junction and back, lots of puddles and a nice cool breeze

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was my first post as a new owner. Rocken Robin gave me the sound advice that Cage and harnesses should be priority 1. After doing the search as he suggested my priorities were realigned and the cage went to the top spot. Expensive-yes, but everything else became correctly identified as “wants”, the cage, considering my love of all racing, NASCAR/off road ,downhill skiing, whatever, the cage elevated to a “Need”. Arizona desert temps dictated spare tire carrier moved up to #2. None of this is sexy cool stuff, but I’d like to say maturity played heavily in the Decisions. I don’t care much for the group rides so turning the yxz into a rolling Saturday Night Fever flashing, thumping Disco isn’t high on my list either. I mostly ride alone (which I know isn’t real smart) I prefer 2-3 other cars but if the only option is, alone or behind 20 other cars, I’ll go by myself with a cooler full of water.
I support everyone doing their own thing, just every time I see the posts “hey what kinda exhaust you running”? I hear Alanis Morriset singing (“It’s like good advice….that you just can’t take…) 😂 ☮
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally rolled it yesterday… bent drivers rear fender, broke drivers side mirror, bent passenger side cube light bracket and bent cheap spare tire carrier.. took about 10 minutes to get it back on its wheels, let it sit for another 10 minutes so the oil would drain back into the engine fired it up and I was back in business. I was floating it through the sand wash at about 50mph when it floated into the trees and brush and the brush grabbed it and wouldn’t let it go. Next thing I know I’m upside down (really soft landing actually). Turned it off and unbuckled the harnesses that did their job perfectly. Manually got it rolled onto its side and strapped it and a can am pulled me back onto my wheels. 10 minutes later I was driving away. That’s why you spend the money on a cage and harnesses

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
238 Posts
Where were you at when you rolled it? I came across a XP-Pro that was upside down in a narrow wash - upper edge the buggy was on collapsed due to the rain and moist dirt. About a 6' drop into the cut and it was upside down. There was no way I could consider pulling that 4 seater out, no winch so that wasn't an option.. Couple other guys showed up with winches..

For you - good thing someone came by and helped right it!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was flying and floating in Bulldog Canyon at 50mph when I floated into the brush and it grabbed the yxz and next thing I knew I was upside down

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber
The brush on the left side of the pic from behind the yxz is what grabbed me.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
238 Posts
Wow - glad you are safe and sound. Damage wasn't bad considering - at least you aren't replacing suspension stuff too ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I’m thankful, now that she’s officially scared I can have fun in her without worrying about scratching her up lol

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
238 Posts
Once you are past that point - they all blend in together.. Old trick on plastics - a propane torch or similar will help with scratches. Watch out as it can discolor the plastic - a razor blade on it's edge will help smooth it out first without scratching it. The torch will melt the small scratches and you can buff or spray on something. I've used SC1 or pledge/similar and the plastics look like new. The black plastics look great with the SC1, the pledge or furniture polish only works so good - great on everything else..

I'll do it every now and then after a good power washing. Looks like new until my next outing then the dust/dirt comes off easier. Still have to reapply though..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was contemplating using a torch to try and get the buckled fender straight but I’ll just call it character and let it live like that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts