Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks to everyone who has responded to my many questions. It is very much appreciated. I would be totally lost without your help.
My first issue is buying used compared to new. I can buy a new one, but spending less has advantages too.
Second, I will have to trailer about 1 1/2 hours each way to the OHV park. I'm not a big fan of trailering anything (including my boat). In fact, I raced mx for 15 years and never bought a trailer. Anyhow, I am concerned that I will get tired of the drive.
At any rate, there is my issue(s). Thanks again for the many responses to my many questions.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I don’t even know what to say about an OHV park as i have never been to one. Always rode in open woods, mountains, desert, dunes. Now we live in Montana, a state where you can very easily have your SxS street legal and we ride everywhere from home to different mountain ranges, back gravel roads and trails to different towns. I have racked up 500 miles on our yxz in past couple of weeks just since some repairs and have over 8800 miles. Our newer kawasaki has over 2300 miles. That has us at almost 8000 offroad miles in the 1-1/2 years we have lived here. Depends on where you live and where you have to ride to make a choice to purchase any toy. Most toys in many stayes require trailering to get to riding destination as was still the case when we lived in California.

· Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,151 Posts
Ok, two things. First, you don't have any place closer to ride? I am with Gobbster, I have never ridden an OHV park. I think I would get bored after a short time. It's nice to see something new.
Second, if you own a SXS how would you consider transporting it? How do you transport your boat? You have been looking for a SXS for a while now, and even researched a trailer here.

Reactions: WWARt

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The OHV is really the only place to ride where I live. There are other OHV's, but they are a bit further away. Moving closer to the recreation area is a great idea, but not practicle at this time.
Fyi, I use to play golf, but the twisting motion created minor back issues. I actually live right next to the country club......lol

· Registered
108 Posts
I have personal land I ride on and neighbors farms. But I trek 8 hours to WV multiple times a year and went 13 hours to ride the sand dunes in Michigan in May...I think it is well worth the drive.

Reactions: ROGER THAT

· Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
518 Posts
I'm kind of in line with @leadmic and @Gibbster . We have OHV parks, I avoid them like the plague. While I ( ok... SWMBO) can ride local roads, I refuse to ride pavement. We also have trails about 20 - 30 minutes down the road, they're fun, and we do ride them. But, we quickly outgrew the 150ish miles that are local.

Instead we trailer 2 hours to a better trail system. There we can start Friday night and ride till its time to come home late on Sunday. By the time the weekend is over we've put a few to 500 miles on and are ready to relax.

While we can't do it every weekend, we can afford a night or two in a hotel without it really denting the budget.

As an example, this weekend we rented an airBnB along with 3 other couples. It'll take us 4 hours to get there, but being a little creative we'll ride all day Saturday, Sunday and half the day Monday. Won't be long rides, lots of waterfalls and scenic areas to check out. Figuring about 200 miles Saturday and Sunday, another 100 on Monday before we pack it all in.

Hardest part is mapping the area, talking with others who ride the area (Facebook groups are a good source). Getting all the info together. And of course praying for good weather, while packing up the rain gear.

Nate

Reactions: ZUMNyxzSS

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I envy the folks with woods, back country and sand dunes. That must simply be a blast. The local OHV park is fairly large, but it's still the same bgg basic trails on every ride. At least it was on my mx bike.
I'm kind of in line with @leadmic and @Gibbster . We have OHV parks, I avoid them like the plague. While I ( ok... SWMBO) can ride local roads, I refuse to ride pavement. We also have trails about 20 - 30 minutes down the road, they're fun, and we do ride them. But, we quickly outgrew the 150ish miles that are local.

Instead we trailer 2 hours to a better trail system. There we can start Friday night and ride till its time to come home late on Sunday. By the time the weekend is over we've put a few to 500 miles on and are ready to relax.

While we can't do it every weekend, we can afford a night or two in a hotel without it really denting the budget.

As an example, this weekend we rented an airBnB along with 3 other couples. It'll take us 4 hours to get there, but being a little creative we'll ride all day Saturday, Sunday and half the day Monday. Won't be long rides, lots of waterfalls and scenic areas to check out. Figuring about 200 miles Saturday and Sunday, another 100 on Monday before we pack it all in.

Hardest part is mapping the area, talking with others who ride the area (Facebook groups are a good source). Getting all the info together. And of course praying for good weather, while packing up the rain gear.

Nate
You have it "going on" thats for sure. ....😉
The weekend gigs sound like a blast.

· Registered
57 Posts
With all of the questions and research you've done on this forum, you should've answered this question yourself first. You're already sniveling about trailering and 1.5 hour drives, sounds like, in fact you've already answered your own question.

· Registered
219 Posts
With all of the questions and research you've done on this forum, you should've answered this question yourself first. You're already sniveling about trailering and 1.5 hour drives, sounds like, in fact you've already answered your own question.
Without sounding like a ass, I kinda agree….
To the OP, you’ve answered the trailering question as well as the open riding vs ohv park question. You’ve seen a variety of used units.

I like to run ideas by others as well and it looks like you’ve got some good ideas as to your direction.
Go for it!

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not at all. Just because I dont particularly like trailering vehicles doesn't imply that I dont or won't do it. That said, for me it does factor in.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Without sounding like a ass, I kinda agree….
To the OP, you’ve answered the trailering question as well as the open riding vs ohv park question. You’ve seen a variety of used units.

I like to run ideas by others as well and it looks like you’ve got some good ideas as to your direction.
Go for it!
Yes, I do like to do research and hear the thoughts of others. I'm always curious if there are others in the same situation and how or if they resolved it.

· Registered
5 Posts
First off, thanks to everyone who has responded to my many questions. It is very much appreciated. I would be totally lost without your help.
My first issue is buying used compared to new. I can buy a new one, but spending less has advantages too.
Second, I will have to trailer about 1 1/2 hours each way to the OHV park. I'm not a big fan of trailering anything (including my boat). In fact, I raced mx for 15 years and never bought a trailer. Anyhow, I am concerned that I will get tired of the drive.
At any rate, there is my issue(s). Thanks again for the many responses to my many questions.
I live in California and always to drive 1 1/2 hours just to get to the dunes. That being said I have also traveled 12 hours to enjoy the white mountain area Arizona and planning trips to Utah and New Mexico with in the next year. Trailering is just part of it. How much fun you want to have come with a little sacrifice. For me exploring the country in my side x side is the ultimate enjoyment and trailering my ride to every destination is no big deal.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live in California and always to drive 1 1/2 hours just to get to the dunes. That being said I have also traveled 12 hours to enjoy the white mountain area Arizona and planning trips to Utah and New Mexico with in the next year. Trailering is just part of it. How much fun you want to have come with a little sacrifice. For me exploring the country in my side x side is the ultimate enjoyment and trailering my ride to every destination is no big deal.
Riding dunes is certainly a "bucket list" item....😁

· Registered
150 Posts
Well put, I’m from so cal also. I trailer everywhere, if you don’t want to trailer you don’t want to ride around here. If I had the ability to go out of my back yard I’d have way more miles on my car.

· Registered
76 Posts
Come visit St. Anthony's Sand Dunes in Idaho, you won't be disappointed and the sand there is not Silt, it's coarser sand. Talked to a couple guys at St. Anthony's last year and they travelled to Glamis all of the time to ride - from Wisconsin.... Now they travel less and just come to St. Anthony's and "they love it, less people, less trash and the sand is clean".

I am 40-50 miles from where Gibbster and I ride, most of the time I trailer out to his house but have rode out there on the YXZ a half dozen times. It saves wear and tear by trailering not to mention your tires... If you ride on pavement, get DOT Tires, they will wear 200% better than non DOT Tires - Tensor Regulator - great DOT Tire imo.

· Registered
108 Posts
I went to Silver Lake after all East coast woods riding with all my machines and absolutely loved it and will be going back. The YXZ was a riot!

Reactions: roofintrash
1 - 20 of 28 Posts