Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well last summer I bought the YXZ 1000 SS SE2. My 1st ride with it I was less than impressed with a couple of things like 1st gear being too tall, suspension settings were way off and didn't ride as good as I thought it would and I hated the tires, they seem too soft and roll the side walls when you really get on it and the traction was not very good. So this is what I did to it last year;

1st Year
-New tires, went with the Sedona Buzz Saw RT, I stayed with 27" for a couple of reasons, didn't want to gear it up even more and I was good with the ground clearance and didn't want to raise the CG which affects handling. I have used these tires for years on other SxS and they work awsome in ALL conditions except extreme mud. I don't mud bog so there perfect for me. These tires are very reasonably priced as well.
-I spent 2 full days riding in different terrain and setting up my suspension. It took many stops and adjustments just to figure out what does what with the many adjustments these shocks and springs have. My YXZ now rides incredible whether I'm cruzing a trail, high speed ripp'n, small stutter bumps, large whoops or whatever. It's smoth and doesn't buck and kick in the a$$ end.
-I removed the front sway bar and this had little effect on handling, but does make it have better traction on the front when traversing rutted trails (keeps the front tire on the ground as they travel independently) make it way better for climbing over or dropping off steep hills on sharp angles as the front wheels stay on the ground as opposed to doing the three wheel thing that happens with the sway bar in. Much more stable!
-I hate getting sprayed with mud and water all the time when riding so I built my own mud flaps and side flares. I used the hard plastic mud flaps that big trucks use. They cost about 13 dollars Canadian at my local Peterbuilt shop and I bought 4 of them. It took me a better part of a Sat. to make them all, 1st making templates from card board and then transfering them to the plastic. Not hard, just time consuming. I have done this to all my SxS and man what a difference it makes when riding.
-I tore off the rear skid plate on my second ride so I used the same mud flap material and built my own. Never had an issue since.
-I bought a 1/2 window and cut it down a bit, I wanted some protection but didn't want to have to look through the window, then I built a smoked lexan sunvisor for the top. It's 5 1/2" down from the roof, it shades the sun, I can see through it and it is siliconed to the roof so I get even more rain protection. As a bonus we get WAY less wind in the cab, the wind seems to hit the front window, go up and over the sunvisor.
-I installed winches front and back, built my own brackets and front bumper to mount them.
-I installed tie down hooks for tieing down when trailering. Way faster and easier loading and unloading now.
-I built my own rear storage box from aluminum, holds way more than the Yamaha box, its water proof and has compartments so my tool bag and gear aren't flying around back there.
-I installed the Alba heavy fly wheel to make it a little better at slow speeds (it helps alot)
-I made rock gaurds for my trailing arms and rear shocks out of the mud flap material as they were getting the s$#! beat out of the them from rocks.
-Me and the wife smoke so I installed an ash tray (don't like to throw butts out and burn the forest down) and a cig lighter that can still be used to charge a phone. I put this on the new dash plate I made and it also has my winch switch. Wired the winch switch so that I can run either winch off the one switch.
-I used to race cars in another life so I use my left foot for braking, I extended the left side of my brake pedal so that left foot breaking is a natural angle instead of having to cock your leg way over on an angle. If you haven't practiced left foot breaking, do it. You will find you have more control over the car in all situations.
Last year I put on 1000miles with the car like this and had a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now this Year
-I bought the Weller pipe and ECU flash. I bought this pipe because it makes the most torque #s at low Rpm from all the dyno sheets I saw and thats what the YXZ NEEDS. Fit and finish is top nothch and this pipe DELIVERS!!!
-I installed the GYRT primary foam filter and the volocity stacks (I do think you hear more intake noise now) but after having the air box apart, the original designed volocity stacks look like they would be far more restrictive. Delivers!!!
-I put in the Alba Light Weight fly wheel so it can spool up faster. Delivers!!!
-I put in the Tubeworks clutch mod for oiling and the IRP (which is kind of like a recluse for the SS models) Delivers!!!
-Did the 15% ALL gears, gear reduction from Tubeworks. This ADDS TORQUE to the YXZ and makes 1st gear much more trail freindly. Delivers!!!
-Installed a set of PRP XC seats, extremely comfy but they do sit higher than the stock seats, so my project today is to lower them a bit. Deliver all most perfect!!!
-Made a bracket for my handheld GPS to mount on the dash.
All this work and mods took awhile and in Canada ain't cheap because our dollar sucks when buying stuff from the USA, but that being said
DAMN does this thing RIP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I only have a few rides on it so far but we have been in mud, sand, snow, gravel and hill climbing. With the mods I've done this car is crazy fast to top speed which is close to the same (80Mph) as Yamaha put in a rev limiter from the factory and now with the Weller program and a higher rev limiter, even with the 15% reduction, I can still go that fast. The RPL makes it take off so nice now and the lower 1st gear helps too. The light weight flywheel helps it spool up way faster compared to the heavy one it needed with stock gears. I hate to say it, but its almost too fast, powerful for trail riding:D (well so thinks the wife) It no longer bogs when going in mud, it doesn't power out on bigger hills with no run at the bottom, it builds speeds to the point you can shift up! Its drives in the tight stuff awesome and it sounds incredible at all Rpm levels. I have no proof (YET) but I doubt there are many SXS that would out run this thing trail riding. It is fast.............

I'll post a couple pics tomorrow, off to the garage to lower the seats.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dollars to doughnuts I can keep up with you on any trail, not mud or rock crawling but any trail and I am on your A** the entire time. :) Now I just need to get my A** up to Canada to find out. Nice ride.......

Reactions: Sherlock

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry guys, I think you might have miss understood, this is NOT the low gear set up 70/30 or even the 45/15. This gear set up I have is not for rock crawling or mud bogging. Its the single final drive gear that lowers all gears by 15%. It makes the YXZ take off way easier, it lays more torque to the ground, it makes the trans a close ratio so when you shift you stays in the peak power better and it will still do 80mph with the higher rev limiter. To give you an idea of how fast it spools, when it was stock you could use launch control in 2 wheel drive on dirt, now if I'm in 2 wheel drive, use launch control as soon as I let go of the paddles it hits the new higher rev limiter so fast that the car has not caught up to the tires (meaning that the cars ground speed is 10-15mph) and you bang second it bogs. This happens in about 15 feet. It just melts the rear tires. On pavement, if I'm going around 5-6 mph and floor it it lights the tires up easily and throws you back in the seat hard. With the lower close gear ratio on the trails (Pipe and other mods as well) it hits so hard coming out of corners I am having to re-learn how to drive this thing. The tires I have on this thing hook up very well and now in 1st, 2nd and 3rd when you really get into the throttle its spinning these things like crazy. Its a new ball game.
Disclaimer; I'm am very aware no matter how fast I think I am, someone will always put me in my place sooner or later. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be too scared to line up with stock turbo RZRs or X3s on trail riding. And yes I know that when it comes to big hills and sand you won't keep up, I have built and had many Turbo cars and sleds over the years.
Side note, I may get a chance to run against a Cat XX soon, my buddy is trying to get one to demo. I'll let you guys know the out come good or bad if he gets it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worked on my PRP seats yesterday, just a heads up to anyone looking at these seats. Mine are the XC model, very comfy, but they sit about 2-2 1/2 higher than stock. The drivers seat is not centered to the steering wheel either. Tall people may not like how close their head is to the roof and short people (like my wife) can't reach the gas peddle very good. These seats also bolt in so quick removal for cleaning ain't happening. I cut down the front legs 1 1/4"s built a new bracket for the front and now my seats are easily removed by just pulling a pin and sliding the seat forward and lifting up. The seat back is more straight up and down now which I like (the stock seats layed back too much for me) and I can see out front close to the car much better which helps when picking your way through the nasties. I also moved the mounting brackets over so the drivers seat is close to center of the steering. Lots of work and srewing around to get the measements but well worth the effort, pretty happy with the seats now:tickled_pink::tickled_pink:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMG_1815.JPG Rear storage box, holds more than the Yamaha one and you can see over it when backing up.

IMG_1816.JPG

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMG_1818.JPG Forgot to mention my wife made me a soft cover for the glove box. It has an elastic top so you can throw gloves and stuff in it without the falling out

IMG_1819.JPG Nice thing about PRP seats, you can custom order all materials and colors how you want them and no extra charge.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMG_1820.JPG Pic of the extension on the brake pedal (must have option) Also re-did gas pedal so its flush with the brake now.

IMG_1817.JPG Hard to see in the pic but used the mud flap material to protect bottom of shock and leading edge of rear trailing arm from rocks.

IMG_1821.JPG Forgot to mention, got caught in some bad rain storms and it sucked, so the wife made me a window that snaps onto the sun visor and 1/2 window. Its made from the same stuff they use on boat side windows. Works awesome even tested to 75mph! Only use it when its really nasty out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMG_1811.JPG Built my own bumper and winch mount. The plate infront of the winch is tough enough to push over any trees this thing has the power to push. Sometimes we do some nasty bush wacking.

IMG_1813.JPG built a Rear winch and trailer ball too, comes in handy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So this is My idea of The Ultimate Trail YXZ. Turbos are great but this thing hauls the mail now!!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry guys, I think you might have miss understood, this is NOT the low gear set up 70/30 or even the 45/15. This gear set up I have is not for rock crawling or mud bogging. Its the single final drive gear that lowers all gears by 15%. It makes the YXZ take off way easier, it lays more torque to the ground, it makes the trans a close ratio so when you shift you stays in the peak power better and it will still do 80mph with the higher rev limiter. To give you an idea of how fast it spools, when it was stock you could use launch control in 2 wheel drive on dirt, now if I'm in 2 wheel drive, use launch control as soon as I let go of the paddles it hits the new higher rev limiter so fast that the car has not caught up to the tires (meaning that the cars ground speed is 10-15mph) and you bang second it bogs. This happens in about 15 feet. It just melts the rear tires. On pavement, if I'm going around 5-6 mph and floor it it lights the tires up easily and throws you back in the seat hard. With the lower close gear ratio on the trails (Pipe and other mods as well) it hits so hard coming out of corners I am having to re-learn how to drive this thing. The tires I have on this thing hook up very well and now in 1st, 2nd and 3rd when you really get into the throttle its spinning these things like crazy. Its a new ball game.
Disclaimer; I'm am very aware no matter how fast I think I am, someone will always put me in my place sooner or later. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be too scared to line up with stock turbo RZRs or X3s on trail riding. And yes I know that when it comes to big hills and sand you won't keep up, I have built and had many Turbo cars and sleds over the years.
Side note, I may get a chance to run against a Cat XX soon, my buddy is trying to get one to demo. I'll let you guys know the out come good or bad if he gets it.
Yamahadog, I love reading you progress, I am always looking for ways to improve this bad boy. Did you install the 15% reduction gears your self?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You did some nice stuff to your car . I need to do something with my PRP seats I don't like how they lean back. I am for the the more upright position . Would like to see some pictures of your mounts and modifications if possible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hughes115, yes I installed the 15% reduction myself. Not hard to do, but a couple things to note.
- You need some kind of press to remove the final gear off the shaft. I just have a small press and it worked easily.
- I did use a die grinder to remove a little bit of material on the inside of my case in one spot as the big gear was just nicking the case.
- Just watched the video on you tube that tube works did and followed it.

This is the gear ratio Yamaha should have put in this thing from the factory. Even without the pipe, air box mods and light flywheel I bet it would work great.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Roken Robin. when I first put my seats in they leaned back way too much so I did a quick fix using UHMW blocks. I cut 4 pieces and installed under both seats under the back bracket that the seats bolt to. These blocks are 1" high, 1 5/8" wide and 5" long. (if I did this again I would go 1 1/4" thick to give it a bit more.) you will need longer bolts then to go through the mounting plate first, then the UHMW which will line up with the supports on the car, and bolt it down into the car. Then you need to bend the rear bracket on the seat that has the tabs that slide into the back plate down so the front brackets sit flush when you install the seat. This was very easy and fast to do this mod. It will straighten the seats up. Here is a pic of the blocks I made.
IMG_1827.JPG

If you decide to cut the front legs down like I did, just a heads up. Big job to do what I did to the drivers seat, but makes it very easy to remove the seat. On the Passenger side you also need to trim some of the plastic under the seat to get the front of the seat down. If you want to go this route I will get you some pics of that. Here is a pic of how much I cut off the front brackets on both seats.
IMG_1823.JPG

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took it for a quick spin yesterday to try the seat mods and these seats are perfect for me now. This car just blows me away how it works with all that I have done to it. I forgot to mention before, now with the IRP in it, if you are cuzing along and shift up (or down) when your not flooring it, it shifts sooooooooo smooth and sounds like your speed shifting and standard car. (Way Cool) NO MORE CLUNK like stock ones do.

I have read on here guys that have done pipes or air box or clutch mods or flywheels (or some combination of all of these mods) but have never seen anything about a 15% gear down mod. If I had it to do over, the 15% gear down mod would be by far my 1st mod. There is NO DOWN SIDE. Here is the up side;

1- Car will take off easier in all conditions
2- Easier on the clutch
3- Can go a little slower without killing the clutch
4- Closer gear ratio so car will be faster to top speed
5- Increased Torque in ALL gears
6- Do it yourself mod
7- No real weight change (big gear is bigger, but small gear is smaller than stock)
8- Cheap to buy (well at least for you lucky dogs in the US)

I am not saying the Weller Pipe, air box mods, Alba light weight fly wheel and the tube works clutch mod and IRP are not worth it, because all thes items are TOP NOTCH too. Just saying, if you just got a YXZ, SS or Standard, this would be my 1st mod and if I could swing the rest, SUPER BONUS!!!! With all I have done this car is just CRAZY FUN now. Big thanks to ALL the vendors I bought my mods from, because you guys helped me build
"My Ultimate Trail YXZ SS"

·
Registered
126 Posts
I read your reviews and am sold on the 15% reduction. I have placed my order but if it’s not a problem I have a few quick questions. Bare with me I’m leaving out tons of steps just looking at it from a big picture. I haven’t done any research yet besides watching the full 70/30 install on utube.
1. Given the case half “doesn’t” have to be modified so it states, would I be able to just bust the case change the gears and re-seal? I’m meaning without the whole clutch removal since my clutch is where i want it.
2. Any extra tips you may can offer on the install would be great!!
Thanks

1 - 20 of 106 Posts