Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me it is going to be all about which is the most dependable. Which vehicle is coming off the assembly line with no major design flaws. I will give up being a few car lengths behind if I have a vehicle that can go 60mph in a sand wash for 20 minutes with out blowing up a $200 belt. Or one I have to balance the drive shaft or synchronize U joints on a brand new vehicles.

·
Registered
613 Posts
For me it is going to be all about which is the most dependable. Which vehicle is coming off the assembly line with no major design flaws. I will give up being a few car lengths behind if I have a vehicle that can go 60mph in a sand wash for 20 minutes with out blowing up a $200 belt. Or one I have to balance the drive shaft or synchronize U joints on a brand new vehicles.
Or a POS company making the customer pay research and development costs out of his own pocket

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over 5k miles on my rzr 900 and only 1 broken belt and a secondary clutch roller failure. It may not be the best but I ride my machine hard and an overall happy with it. I would love to have a yamaha but they don't make a 4 seater and some of these az trails have big rocks you need to crawl over

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh ye of little faith....isn't yamaha notorious for muffling and conservatively tuning their sport quads and dirt bikes? Dont you recall the raptors that put down 40rwhp and with a pipe and tuner and aircleaner jump upto 59 rwhp? the yz450s that do almost the same with a rejet and slip on pipe, what makes you think that this tripple is any different, with a cat and a muffler that kills this thing from the get go...add a programmer and pipe and I bet it hangs with the turbo cars or almost on their bumpers....its a good platform and ripe for the tuning and a wonderful foundation to go racing and duning in...I personally am pumped to turbo this bad boy, swap out the pistons and tune it up....bet its going to be a monster!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Over 5k miles on my rzr 900 and only 1 broken belt and a secondary clutch roller failure. It may not be the best but I ride my machine hard and an overall happy with it. I would love to have a yamaha but they don't make a 4 seater and some of these az trails have big rocks you need to crawl over
I put close to 5000 hard miles on my 2010 RZR 800 4 and never had a single issue. Never even changed a belt. Just basic service and tires. I had it four years and then moved up to the XP 1000 4 as soon as it came out. I haven't driven it much in the two years I've had it probably due to all the negative things I've read on the RZR forums. I'm not thrilled about the thought of getting 40 miles down the trail and breaking even though I know that can happen with any off-road vehicle. So far I have 1200 even harder miles on the XP and the only problems I've had so far are one bent radius rod and one blown belt. And when I blew the belt I was about 10 miles into a constant 82 mph run down a dirt road. It does vibrate in 4 wd though and Polaris stance is that's normal and until it breaks there's no problem. I guess that's all it takes to kill it for me. I will never buy another Polaris product. I don't care if it has 26 inches of travel & 400 hp! I've been excited about the new YXZ but my enthusiasm is kind of fading there as well. While it looks like they are on the right track I believe they should have done better out of the gate. Funny if they actually would have released them I would already have one but as it stands now I'm holding out to see what they do in 2017 and to see what Arctic Cat and Honda do if anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I understand the dependability argument. I work at a polaris dealership. I see the issues. BUT if I'm a major company and I'm going to launch a ((true sport sxs)) I would make sure it handles the competition. They have had years to develop this machine. I just don't get it. If I'm going to buy a daily driver dependable is what I'm looking for but my toy must make me happy. Getting smoked by all my friends all day IS NOT FUN. Want dependability? Get a TRX300. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Our dealership also sells Yamaha.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree, I wish it had more power and more wheel base and more travel personally....I think yamaha was too conservative for us performance oriented folks..

·
Registered
83 Posts
I understand the dependability argument. I work at a polaris dealership. I see the issues. BUT if I'm a major company and I'm going to launch a ((true sport sxs)) I would make sure it handles the competition. They have had years to develop this machine. I just don't get it. If I'm going to buy a daily driver dependable is what I'm looking for but my toy must make me happy. Getting smoked by all my friends all day IS NOT FUN. Want dependability? Get a TRX300. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Our dealership also sells Yamaha.
Hope your not in the service department. That would be tough trying to keep the Polaris owners happy while the reps only want to make it difficult to get warranty service and blame the end user. I agree. With the time and resources Yamaha had to work with, the YXZ should be clearly dominate over the competition in every way but that doesn't appear to be the case.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Polaris 1k NA spanked it.

Where's all the chit talkers now?

So here's screenshot of TURBO spanking rzr 1k NA .... just think how much further YXZ would have been behind both ???

LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Polaris 1k NA spanked it.

Where's all the chit talkers now?

So here's screenshot of TURBO spanking rzr 1k NA .... just think how much further YXZ would have been behind both ???

LOL

K lop. Thx for your input. Would still take the YXZ over a faster in a straight line RZR'

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh ye of little faith....isn't yamaha notorious for muffling and conservatively tuning their sport quads and dirt bikes? Dont you recall the raptors that put down 40rwhp and with a pipe and tuner and aircleaner jump upto 59 rwhp? the yz450s that do almost the same with a rejet and slip on pipe, what makes you think that this tripple is any different, with a cat and a muffler that kills this thing from the get go...add a programmer and pipe and I bet it hangs with the turbo cars or almost on their bumpers....its a good platform and ripe for the tuning and a wonderful foundation to go racing and duning in...I personally am pumped to turbo this bad boy, swap out the pistons and tune it up....bet its going to be a monster!
But
I got a 2014 Wr450f and it ran like a moped until I uncorked it. Hopefully there will be some easy ways to "uncork" the Yxz soon. But I did'nt buy my YXz to drag race, just to have a shit ton of fun.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good comparison video.

Towards the end of the street race portion it looked liked the YXZ pulled the tires up on one of the launches, that is kind cool, must have been launching hard and either breaking tires loose or spike load dampner kicking in.

Rear didn't look to bad through the whoops either, appeared to be better then Mav and on par or a little worse then xp1k.

·
Registered
225 Posts
But
I got a 2014 Wr450f and it ran like a moped until I uncorked it. Hopefully there will be some easy ways to "uncork" the Yxz soon. But I did'nt buy my YXz to drag race, just to have a shit ton of fun.
And still the undisputed champ there is no doubting this vid in stock form its unanimus u asked for video and there it is

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Raptors were more like low 30's stock and 40ish with pipe,intake, and programmer. 60whp was for a big bore motor. I loved my 700 and still love yamaha. But I have had good times in the rzr and am waiting for a bigger upgrade before I trade in

1 - 20 of 233 Posts