Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 YXZ 1000R SS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2019 YXZ SS SE yesterday. I've tried searching the forum but coming up empty or with conflicting info:
1) Tire pressure for AZ desert riding on stock tires (trails and small rocks, no sand dunes). Manual recommends 16.5 front / 18.5 rear, but discussions suggest something lower like 10 front / 12 rear. I will be riding on the road to get to trails.
2) I need a horn. Is there a genuine Yamaha horn or stick with aftermarket like this one from UTV Inc: UTV INC YAMAHA YXZ AMBER BACK LIT LED HORN KIT
3) How to power a 12v air compressor? Is there a 12v outlet somewhere I can't see or do folks hook it to the battery?
4) Is there a good attachment point for a spare gas can?
5) Spare tire mount: It already has the Yamaha cargo box in the rear. Is there an overhead / roof spare tire option?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Air 10 and 12 depends on how rocky the area is . Take your pick on the horn . I bought a viair with alligator clips and go right to the battery. Yamaha tire carrier is quality unit and can be modded to carry rotpax . I wouldn’t put a spare on the roof too much weight up high.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 YXZ 1000R SS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air 10 and 12 depends on how rocky the area is . Take your pick on the horn . I bought a viair with alligator clips and go right to the battery. Yamaha tire carrier is quality unit and can be modded to carry rotpax . I wouldn’t put a spare on the roof too much weight up high.
Thanks. So with your spare tire and gas can setup, I guess there is no visibility out the rear? Do you also have the cargo box under there and if so, how do you access?

·
Registered
2019 YXZ 1000R SS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Regarding Rotopax, just came across this interesting setup but only 1.5 gallon.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The Yamaha carrier swings out of the way allowing access to the storage box . I have some visibility with rear view mirror over the top and side of the spare tire . I also have a rear view camera set up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I went with a Viair compressor with alligator clips straight to battery. Awesome compressors. There should be a 12 volt cigarette plug on the passenger side on the left side of the glove box. I turned mine into 2 USB ports
I do not have the horn shown in the link. Mine has a plastic housing for the horn and did not come with a switch, but I think it was for UTVs. The wife bought it. Any should work
Tire pressures. I run factory and my buddies run everything from factory to flat up to you. I do not have bead lock and ride East coast.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ 1000R SS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with a Viair compressor with alligator clips straight to battery. Awesome compressors. There should be a 12 volt cigarette plug on the passenger side on the left side of the glove box. I turned mine into 2 USB ports
Found it! Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also in AZ (Phoenix area). I like 10 psi in the desert for the ride but was told by a few that if You run less than the required 18psi, you risk bending a wheel. Just FYI.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
64 Posts
AZ (Phoenix area too) - depending on the tire, I vary my psi..

Now I am running BFG KM3 30x10x14:
  • 10 psi - no or minimal rocks at fast speed, crawling on rocks may go lower, ok on roads and washes as it is smooth but too little feedback
  • 16 psi - My go to pressure - I pretty much run this and bomb through most anything. I am careful of tire placement at speed but with my BFG's on two different cars and thousands of miles, not one sidewall issue.
  • 20 psi - Wide open - Crank the suspension down, firm it up and let it rip... Doesn't happen often but it's fun to let it sing..
I've never bent a wheel, hit some rocks pretty hard that put a hell of a ding in my bead lock ring. I even got out expecting my sidewall to be wasted, nope - just a fresh gouge in the wheel ring. I will agree - too low of pressure and the right rock, it'll take out your wheel and likely the tire with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 YXZ SS SE yesterday. I've tried searching the forum but coming up empty or with conflicting info:
1) Tire pressure for AZ desert riding on stock tires (trails and small rocks, no sand dunes). Manual recommends 16.5 front / 18.5 rear, but discussions suggest something lower like 10 front / 12 rear. I will be riding on the road to get to trails.
2) I need a horn. Is there a genuine Yamaha horn or stick with aftermarket like this one from UTV Inc: UTV INC YAMAHA YXZ AMBER BACK LIT LED HORN KIT
3) How to power a 12v air compressor? Is there a 12v outlet somewhere I can't see or do folks hook it to the battery?
4) Is there a good attachment point for a spare gas can?
5) Spare tire mount: It already has the Yamaha cargo box in the rear. Is there an overhead / roof spare tire option?

Thanks in advance.
Okay as a 2016 YXZ owner that rides AZ, I run 12 lbs all around on stock tires. Paddles are different.

on highway use- you are suppose to have, mirrors, horn, and blinkers mine was not checked. Amazon has a fill kit that you can pick up. The horn specifically- I found a few kits but never bought one over another

compressor- our 12v outlet is right under the passenger handle bar on the left side.

spare tire- I have been working on this. We also have the cargo box. My plan is to fabricate a mount for above the roof. Yes would need to cut the roof a little do this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts