Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From UTV Driver:

"Yamaha engineers have also refreshed the Genuine Yamaha Technology Racing (GYTR) Turbo Kit for the YXZ1000R. We’re told it will bolt up to machines dating back to the 2019 model year. They claim it’s now more powerful, lighter, and easier to install and maintain. The kit is also CARB, EPA, and 50-state emissions compliant. Look for a revised Garrett GT2554R turbo in the kit, updated from the Garrett GY2860RS setup. Yamaha confirmed that this turbo kit produces up to 60 percent more peak power over a naturally aspirated YXZ. "

What the... Anyone know more?

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From Yamaha site:

"
Designed by Yamaha’s advanced team of engineers specifically for the 2019-2021 YXZ1000R and YXZ1000R Sport Shift (SS) models, the all-new Genuine Yamaha Technology Racing (GYTR) Turbo Kit is more powerful and easier to install than previous model years. The GYTR Turbo Kit uses the renowned Garrett GT2554R turbo to meet Yamaha’s highest standards of reliability, while power delivery is meticulously tuned to provide thrilling, confidence-inspiring performance for all drivers. This kit is legal for sale in California under the California Air Resources Board executive order D-807U-2.

• Up to a 60% increase in peak power over stock*
  • High performance Garrett GT2554R liquid-cooled ball bearing turbo provides decreased spool time for broad power gains throughout the RPM range
  • Pre-programmed, plug-and-play ECU delivers precise fuel injection settings, enhancing drivability across the entire RPM range for maximum power and maximum fun
  • Large, highly efficient water-to-air intercooler is easier to install, while an integrated cooling fan increases charge-air cooling capacity and prevents heat soak when idling
  • SAE 310S cast stainless steel exhaust manifold reduces weight and eases installation
  • Lightweight molded-silicone intake is less susceptible to power-robbing “heat soak”
  • The high flow air box located between the vehicle’s occupants on the rear panel features a GYTR-branded lid, allows easy, tool-free air filter access, maximizes air intake, and minimizes water/dust intrusion
  • Heightened “turbo whistle” sound for ultimate excitement
  • Relocated water pump does not require cutting of the floorboards and is therefore easier to service, bleed and install
  • Dealer installation recommended
  • IMPORTANT: Requires the use of premium 91-octane gas
  • *Test results using Mustang Dynamometer Chassis dyno at the rear wheels using SAE J1349 correction factor.
B5J-E46F0-S0-00
YXZ1000R(2021, 2020, 2019)
BAS-E46F0-V0-00
YXZ1000R SS(2021, 2020, 2019)"

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"Relocated water pump does not require cutting of the floorboards and is therefore easier to service, bleed and install"

Intercooler still located in front? Boo.

"Heightened “turbo whistle” sound for ultimate excitement" Really?

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smaller turbo. So less ability to add more power? That was a feature of the GYTR kit I liked. DLP kit was fine for modest gains. I need Nate from Alba to please assess this new kit compared with 2860 kit.

· Registered
60 Posts
One other thought, after some head scratching about this new kit, is this a step to a factory turbo?

Cast exhaust manifold. Probably easier and cheaper to mass produce in house.
Smaller turbo, so probably safer on engine internals.
Silicone intake. Definitely cheaper to mass produce than the all aluminum unit.
All new intake and easy access air filter design. Seems more like something a newly updated car would have.
Carb compliant.

Maybe I'm just dreaming here, but is this what the next updated YXZ may come with from the factory? If they went thru the trouble to re-do the turbo kit, at the least, we should all figure that the YXZ isn't going away any time soon.

Maybe we will see a major change in the next year or two.

· Registered
219 Posts
One other thought, after some head scratching about this new kit, is this a step to a factory turbo?

Cast exhaust manifold. Probably easier and cheaper to mass produce in house.
Smaller turbo, so probably safer on engine internals.
Silicone intake. Definitely cheaper to mass produce than the all aluminum unit.
All new intake and easy access air filter design. Seems more like something a newly updated car would have.
Carb compliant.

Maybe I'm just dreaming here, but is this what the next updated YXZ may come with from the factory? If they went thru the trouble to re-do the turbo kit, at the least, we should all figure that the YXZ isn't going away any time soon.

Maybe we will see a major change in the next year or two.
Personally, I don’t think you’re dreaming. More like you hit the nail on the head.
All that looks like a pathway to a reliable stock turbo setup.

· Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
432 Posts
Crazy news. Would like to see more info on this new kit. A parts spread to compare would be great. It is clear the new turbo was designed to better meet the lesser power targets likely to be pursued by most of the SS crowd in trade for a better responding turbo.

Having a brand new '19+ SS Gen 1 GYTR kit ready to install, makes me wonder which kit would be better for me. I do like the cast manifold of the Gen 2 kit, although the original tubular unit of the Gen 1 kit is a very nice unit too, so that in itself is certainly not a deal breaker for Gen 1. The greater power potential however of the Gen 1's GT2860R is well more than I will ever shoot for (I think lol), so the better response of the Gen 2's GT2554R could be of more interest and a better fit for my driving style. The Larger air/water Intercooler (and Fan) would be a nice upgrade, wonder what controls the fan or is just always on? The intake of the original kit could be a heat sink to some extent, but I'd rather have it than the Gen 1's full silicone setup. Also if the IATs are controlled well via the Intercooler setup having a hot intake is less of a concern. Then there is the question as to whether the Gen 2 mapping is much or at all improved over the Gen 1, including a potential for the new fan control for the Intercooler?

So whether to sell a brand new Gen 1 and buy the Gen 2 is the question here? Hmmm.

· Registered
98 Posts
FYI, I have a 2020's SS SE and was told by corporate Yamaha that I never should have been sold a gen 1 GYTR turbo kit. They are for 2019's ONLY!
My gen 2 kit is on order. I'll swap my gen 1 kit for the gen 2 kit.

· Registered
432 Posts
FYI, I have a 2020's SS SE and was told by corporate Yamaha that I never should have been sold a gen 1 GYTR turbo kit. They are for 2019's ONLY!
That just begs the next question what in the hell is the difference between '19 and '20 to make them say such a thing?

Please provide some pics of your Gen 2 kit when it arrives. The smaller turbo and intercooler setup is making me consider selling the Gen 1 kit and going Gen 2 myself, although I prefer the Gen 1 intake plenum and idea of going really big power if I want to someday.

· Registered
98 Posts
That just begs the next question what in the hell is the difference between '19 and '20 to make them say such a thing?

Please provide some pics of your Gen 2 kit when it arrives. The smaller turbo and intercooler setup is making me consider selling the Gen 1 kit and going Gen 2 myself, although I prefer the Gen 1 intake plenum and idea of going really big power if I want to someday.
That is the big question. But I have it in writing, which made me hesitant that they would honor the warranty. So now the selling dealer is getting me the correct kit.
I'll do some comparison between the two kits and let you know.

· Registered
139 Posts
From UTV Driver:

"Yamaha engineers have also refreshed the Genuine Yamaha Technology Racing (GYTR) Turbo Kit for the YXZ1000R. We’re told it will bolt up to machines dating back to the 2019 model year. They claim it’s now more powerful, lighter, and easier to install and maintain. The kit is also CARB, EPA, and 50-state emissions compliant. Look for a revised Garrett GT2554R turbo in the kit, updated from the Garrett GY2860RS setup. Yamaha confirmed that this turbo kit produces up to 60 percent more peak power over a naturally aspirated YXZ. "

What the... Anyone know more?
My guess is somebody is smoking something at Yamaha.

Not sure how new kit would be good for a 19 but 1st kit not be good for a 20. They are same car.

It is 22 already what kit do you suppose they have been installing on the 2019, 2020 and 2021's for last 3 years ?

· Registered
432 Posts
Can anyone comment on the spool response of the Gen 1 kit? I'd always read that despite being a very large turbo, it spools insanely quick with virtually no turbo lag. But then the video above says "the biggest complaint with the gen 1 kit has been turbo lag, this new gen 2 kit has no turbo lag" lol.

I'm really still liking the Gen 1 kit better overall hardware wise (aside from the remote cooler), but the differential in turbo response is of most concern. If we are talking virtually no notable difference then I'll stick with the Gen 1 and address the remote cooler/fan setup later, but if there is substantially better response then the Gen 2 would be a better fit.

· Registered
432 Posts
smaller turbo=fast spooling. also limits boost that you can add so also limits number of claims that people have installed factory gen 1 turbo kits and grenaded motors because they add double digit boost numbers. fyi there are zero differences in 2019-2022 models so whomever you spoke with mustve gotten models confused as gen 1=2016-2018 and within those years there are several updates (2016-2017)

· Registered
432 Posts
smaller turbo=fast spooling. also limits boost that you can add so also limits number of claims that people have installed factory gen 1 turbo kits and grenaded motors because they add double digit boost numbers. fyi there are zero differences in 2019-2022 models so whomever you spoke with mustve gotten models confused as gen 1=2016-2018 and within those years there are several updates (2016-2017)
Most certainly smaller is going to have better response, all else the same with the turbo tech as we have here.

But by how much (and have others felt the Gen 1 kit to be "laggy") is the question? Especially in that both are Ball Bearing turbos on a 11k RPM engine, they could be similar enough to not put too much more thought into it.

I agree in that more than likely this was a confused Yamaha rep mixing up the GYTR Turbo kit for 19+ models (Gen 1 vs Gen 2), as if they were for the Gen 1 or Gen 2 YXZ.

The GYTR Gen 2 kit seems to be a signifiant cost reduction (for Yamaha), aside for the fan and larger remote cooler.

· Registered
98 Posts
My guess is somebody is smoking something at Yamaha.

Not sure how new kit would be good for a 19 but 1st kit not be good for a 20. They are same car.

It is 22 already what kit do you suppose they have been installing on the 2019, 2020 and 2021's for last 3 years ?
[/QUOTE]
As much as I'd like to accept this, all I can do is go by what they are insisting on. Especially since they have the power to either recognize my YES warranty if I install what they say needs to be on it, or reject the current and any future claims now that they know that this car has a part that they say (in writing) should not be there.
I do know that the instructions for the kit I purchased specifically say 2019 YXZ's. Not 2019+ or anything else, just 2019!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts