Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
419 Posts
It sounds like that system doesn't have any on/off overlap, which is unfortunate. Probably fine, but in certain circumstances it might turn the fan off/on rapidly. This danger should be reduced since it will be triggering on the hot end. I miiiight have a master on or master off switch to prevent that.

75* is probably a good number. I'd say 100 would be too high. If only there was a dual-measure >10* over ambient sensor.
A water temp switch that uses ambient to calculate target would be great, sadly I was not ever able to find anything that seemed to be a solution that makes me 100% happy.

I also agree about the concern of the switches off/on trigger being a single figure, this quote doesnt help "providing almost no differential between opening and closing temperatures" lol.

However the more I thought about it I feel that the fan shedding temps from the hot side of the radiator would be not realized quickly as the coolant would need to full pass through into a stabilized (non-increasing temp) Intercooler as well. Even if there was that star alignment what is the odds that holding temps precisely at 75 +/- 1* (for the rapid cycling worry) is likely either?

This could end up being a solid solution to get going but honestly I think ordering one in a custom ~85-90* would be more ideal (higher IATs but less fan on time). When it comes to the 100* switch option I feel by the time the hot side of the Radiator is seeing that 100* then the Intercooler is probably already headed towards 110+* too. I suspect keeping the coolant temps around 90-100* max is most ideal, and for our tuning purposes (ie. our junk open loop setup) that keeping IATs consistent is probably not a bad idea either.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What temps are you normally seeing on your gauge with your v2 radiator/fan setup?
I don't have a good feel for it yet. The first couple of runs it was running 30 over ambient and I was really disappointed but then I realized the fan fuse was blown. I fixed the fuse and went on a short ride but it was at night and cold and I didn't push it much. I will do some riding this weekend and will report back. However, I don't think it will be as good as I would like. There is just so much heat being generated by the turbo and the motor that all the air intake tubing just gets heat soaked and its hard to remove it. I have debated reinstalling my V1 intercooler and using both of them.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
419 Posts
I don't have a good feel for it yet. The first couple of runs it was running 30 over ambient and I was really disappointed but then I realized the fan fuse was blown. I fixed the fuse and went on a short ride but it was at night and cold and I didn't push it much. I will do some riding this weekend and will report back. However, I don't think it will be as good as I would like. There is just so much heat being generated by the turbo and the motor that all the air intake tubing just gets heat soaked and its hard to remove it. I have debated reinstalling my V1 intercooler and using both of them.
Bummer, that is even with the larger Mishimoto YFZ450R radiator and larger fan too. Let us hope that fan being off hurt the results quite a bit. Looking forward to your fan on results!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I doubt the v1 cooler would help much, especially since it's in front of the v2 cooler and was always angled badly. And I'd call hot side 30f above ambient without a fan to be acceptable in the best conditions, and good in the worst. If you were riding in power-sucking soft sand and doing a hill climb pinned in 2nd doing 30mph, 30f over ambient without a fan would be great. If it was on pavement in 5th slightly downhill going 90mph, that would be more towards the Acceptable or concerning range.

The best two ways to increase heat exchange capacity is to increase cross section relative to air flow, and increase CFM of fans. If I'm unhappy with the 450 cooler, I might just go to a stock gen1 yxz radiator, though I really want to avoid this as the whole area looks really tight.

We really need two data points to know what component is getting swamped. It could be that the cold side water temp is ambient and the intercooler is really transferring 30f of heat into the water and intercooler/pump is undersized, or it could be that the cold side water temp is 25f above ambient and it is a heat exchanger issue. I also want to find a data sheet on the pump and compare it to other systems, as a low flow rate pump would be less efficient at collecting/shedding the heat compared to a higher flow rate. We also don't know IATs, which would tell us more about the intercooler being properly sized, but yea.

141 - 144 of 144 Posts