Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 SS and have a question and hopefully I can get some insight. So the guy has the 70/30 reduction weller exhaust and tune and some odds and ends. My only issue is with it is when I test drove the bike it seemed like it didn’t shift as fast as it should and sounded like it was maybe slipping the clutch like between gears the rpms would raise slightly (i didn’t let off gas when shifting) maybe this is normal but I have not driven a yxz yet I’m coming from a can am commander so I’m just a little nervous about it so any help would be great thanks!

also I may have been shifting too early it was way before the light lit up don’t know if that makes much difference. I do a lot of fast tight trail riding

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a stock 2019ss, and the only time the clutch slips on mine, is when I'm going below 4 MPH. Mine shifts instantly no matter what speed I'm going. It took me a little to figure out when to shift to make it smooth. Still no clutch slipping. It was like just dumping the clutch all the time. I don't let off the gas when I shift. That just slows you down!!! The light on mine come on when the rev limiter is about to hit or close to it. Sounds like the clutch might be going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m in Troy I haven’t bought it yet. It doesn’t feel like it slipping it just worry’s me that the rpms go up a little in between shifts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh wow small world I just looked at your profile your in Middletown I work down there sometimes I travel a little around the area I’m a pipe fitter so I move around

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1200 miles the guy wants 14,900 for it not a dime less has quite a bit of aftermarket parts, even if it did need a clutch would I be hurting that much replacing it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to make so many reply’s I’m just thinking out loud, when I say slipping the clutch I mean like if you were driving a true manual and you shift and do not let off the gas the rpms will stay up until you are in the next gear and disengage the clutch

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m in Troy I haven’t bought it yet. It doesn’t feel like it slipping it just worry’s me that the rpms go up a little in between shifts
I have a 19ss and I've noticed mine do that a couple times really early in a ride. Never noticed it later on rides. I have no idea what it means if anything. I've got around 1400 miles. Last weekend I changed my oil and tranny fluid and everything looked good, screen was clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
i think i know what you mean. in my 2019 ss model it had this too. When you give full throttle and dont let of the gas it needed to "adjust" the rev first and couldnt clutch in so fast. You could also see that the symbol for slipping clutch was on. But when you just drive it easy and shift "easy" (like in a car) the gear changing was very fast. It was just a "click-click" and the next gear was in. Also when you shift down with very high revs, it also did this (because you cant give intermediate gas)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think i know what you mean. in my 2019 ss model it had this too. When you give full throttle and dont let of the gas it needed to "adjust" the rev first and couldnt clutch in so fast. You could also see that the symbol for slipping clutch was on. But when you just drive it easy and shift "easy" (like in a car) the gear changing was very fast. It was just a "click-click" and the next gear was in. Also when you shift down with very high revs, it also did this (because you cant give intermediate gas)
I think I am just overly nervous and it just sounds different because of the exhaust. There isn’t much YouTube videos of these bikes. And when I say shift slow it’s still quick maybe a full second but it definitely isn’t the fraction of a second that Yamaha is advertising

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine shifts like a very fast/smooth person shifting. It's fast but NOTHING like the double clutch Honda.

I don't think mine ever slips the clutch on the upshift other than takeoff. It does slip the clutch a tad fairly often on the downshifts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hello all, I am in the process of purchasing a 2017 SS

also I may have been shifting too early it was way before the light lit up don’t know if that makes much difference. I do a lot of fast tight trail riding
The shift light don't mean you have to put it there to shift. Especially since it is adjustable for when you want it to come on.
You can set it up to 12 or 12,500. If it were set up there a ways hopefully you weren't lighting it up every shift just going for a little test ride.

Mine shifts like a very fast/smooth person shifting. It's fast but NOTHING like the double clutch Honda.

I don't think mine ever slips the clutch on the upshift other than takeoff. It does slip the clutch a tad fairly often on the downshifts.
Watch the clutch light when it is upshifting. It illuminates on every shift up or down.

It kills the engine, disengages the clutch, shifts the gear, releases the clutch and re-fires the engine at every shift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The shift light don't mean you have to put it there to shift. First off it is adjustable for when you want it to come on.
You can set it up to 12 or 12,500. If it were set up there a ways hopefully you weren't lighting it up every shift just going for a little test ride.

Watch the clutch light when it is upshifting. It illuminates on every shift up or down.

It kills the engine, disengages the clutch, shifts the gear, releases the clutch and re-fires the engine at every shift.
I do not think this one is killing the engine in between shifts I have to physically let off the gas in between shifts for it to sound smooth. Should this be a concern

·
Registered
223 Posts
I do not think this one is killing the engine in between shifts I have to physically let off the gas in between shifts for it to sound smooth. Should this be a concern
It happens so fast it isn't really perceivable on every shift even though it is happening. The whole thing happens in about 1/4 - 1/2 second. I think the SS will shut down if the process isn't occurring properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It happens so fast it isn't really perceivable on every shift even though it is happening. The whole thing happens in about 1/4 - 1/2 second. I think the SS will shut down if the process isn't occurring properly.
So In short go for it even if it is somthing it shouldn’t be something horrible to repair? Also thanks so much for the replies it helps a bunch

·
Registered
223 Posts
So In short go for it even if it is somthing it shouldn’t be something horrible to repair? Also thanks so much for the replies it helps a bunch
Anything that happens is expensive on the SS. If it errors it is usually the shift assembly and it is $700. It takes the scanner diagnostic tool to see what is going on so it can be mostly all dealer labor rate.

My buddies 3 month old SS was $3400 to fix. MCU and shift assembly went out. Warranty took care of it of course but that would be a big ooch if it happened on 6 months and 1 day. After the warranty was to expire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anything that happens is expensive on the SS. If it errors it is usually the shift assembly and it is $700. It takes the scanner diagnostic tool to see what is going on so it can be mostly all dealer labor rate.

My buddies 3 month old SS was $3400 to fix. MCU and shift assembly went out. Warranty took care of it of course but that would be a big ooch if it happened on 6 months and 1 day. After the warranty was to expire.
Went ahead and bought it. Rode 400 miles today probably the same tomarow, so it pulls hills great and certainly doesn’t feel like it’s slipping just sounds weird between shifts also in technical spots or just even taking off easily the half clutch stays on in first until I let off the gas and get back on it for some reason I may just replace the clutch so I know for a fact what’s in it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts