Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my wheels and paddle tires in and just got them mounted on my yxz. I think it looks absolutely amazing. What do you guys think??
The rear is 28x12x14 Tusk Sand Lites and 14x10 System 3 beadlocks 5 + 5
The front is 28x10x14 Tusk Sand Lites with 14x7 System 3 beadlocks 5+7

I was heavily considering going up to 30s for the looks, but read on here that they kill performance if you don't have a turbo. I am tuned and piped but no turbo, I think it'll do great out in Pismo where she'll be going this summer.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
984 Posts
They look awesome, but they are very heavy. Depending on where you are riding a heavy tire may be necessary, but a lighter tire will always outperform a heavy tire.

Reactions: shifthappy6

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look awesome, but they are very heavy. Depending on where you are riding a heavy tire may be necessary, but a lighter tire will always outperform a heavy tire.
I read everywhere heavy wheels/tires rob power and harder to stay afloat. I did a lot of research and found these Tusk tires to be pretty light for its price (which was a huge reason why I bought them). And for the wheels, they did seem pretty light in the box, but I guess for the rears being a 10 wide wheel there is some obvious weight gains compared to a more narrow wheel. I wanted to go 10 wide because people said the wider the tire the more stable it is. Well we'll see after my first trip to the dunes in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
248 Posts
I have the same exact size but mine are on some Hyper wheels. I did weigh the wheels and they aren't lightweights for sure but I dig the look. My time is at Glamis so the sand is different. Where it was moist and packed - these seemed to hook up well. When it got into some really sugar sand, the fine stuff. You had to get them spinning and on top. No hole shot, but once you were going they were perfect.

I have 2 seasons on these tires and would honestly go to a 30 - scat or similar to keep weight down and paddle count for my HP. I too am running NA with a full pipe/headers, etc.. but this year I re-geared for 2019+ gears from my '16-'18. I think the gearing change and 30's with my tune will be a good spot for me. The 28" seemed a tad short, especially after the prior '16 gearing.

Here are the weights per my bathroom digital scale...
  • Front Tire
    • Tusk Sand Lite (28x10x14)
      • 18.6 lbs
    • HiPer Raptor (14x8 Beadlock)
      • 14.0 lbs
  • Rear Tire
    • Tusk Sand Lite (28x12x14)
      • 24.2 lbs
    • HiPer Raptor (14x10 Beadlock)
      • 18.4 lbs
That makes each front 32.6 lbs w/o lug nuts, etc.. Each rear is 42.6 lbs..

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve got the CST Sandblasters on my stock 2021. Same size as yours and they are very close in style to yours.
Just went to Glamis (buttercup) the other day and they worked well. Almost grabbed too well and couldn’t get the RPM’s up very high.
I lowered pressure to 9 and they got better. I’ll try down to 6 and see how it goes.
If I keep doing the sand, a pipe and tune will be in my future. Does fine but could a bit more power.
When they wear just a bit they should be perfect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW - Running 7 psi in mine.. Seemed to be the sweet spot for our setup...
Love the look of your setup! Glad it works well for your riding. But 7 psi? I am new to dunes riding and don't know much so that seems kinda low to me. Is there a reason you are running such low air pressure?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve got the CST Sandblasters on my stock 2021. Same size as yours and they are very close in style to yours.
Just went to Glamis (buttercup) the other day and they worked well. Almost grabbed too well and couldn’t get the RPM’s up very high.
I lowered pressure to 9 and they got better. I’ll try down to 6 and see how it goes.
If I keep doing the sand, a pipe and tune will be in my future. Does fine but could a bit more power.
When they wear just a bit they should be perfect.
I was considering the CST's while shopping around! They look very similar to the sand lites and both had great reviews, so I decided to go the cheaper route with the Tusk's.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
248 Posts
But 7 psi? Is there a reason you are running such low air pressure?
I've tried higher pressures (up to 10 psi) and even lower. Since I have beadlocks I can run the pressure lower without fear of blowing the bead off. If it gets too low you can feel the tire compress almost to the wheel under heavy compression. It was uber plush and I floated across everything. Once I raised the pressure a few pounds I found a point where I wasn't hitting the wheels yet still had float/cushion. I keep a compressor with me so adjusting to dial it in is easy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So the lower the tire pressure the more traction and visa versa? But with risk of the lower pressure is obviously the chance to blow the bead off?
Yes, with less pressure the profile changes and becomes wider and flatter. More surface area and less chance to dig a trench and drop into the sand. When overfilled, they have a more rigid shoulder and become a digging tool which kinda wants to dig a trench.
Just gotta find the sweet spot between a trench digger and a floater.
I’ve run very low pressures on non beadlocks without issues. But clearly they give an advantage reducing the risk of failure.

·
Registered
2016 YXZ1000R
248 Posts
A lot will depend on the terrain and tire. I've seen most paddles in the single digits.

Absolutely correct on bead, low pressure and no bead lock - it can pop off with too much lateral force. Hair spray and a lighter will pop the bead back on lol...

·
Registered
374 Posts
lots of personal preference when it comes to tires.
on my 2016 i ran a few different paddles before giving up altogether as i could not find something that slid, still had some bite, but wasnt too heavy etc
i ran that car with 28" kanati mongrels at 8psi all over glamis, pismo and dumont and never got stuck or had an issue
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

on my 2019 i found some 28" STU sand blasters and LOVE them.
i run them aroun 8psi as well
car is N/A and has no problem spinning them up to its happy rpm
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lots of personal preference when it comes to tires.
on my 2016 i ran a few different paddles before giving up altogether as i could not find something that slid, still had some bite, but wasnt too heavy etc
i ran that car with 28" kanati mongrels at 8psi all over glamis, pismo and dumont and never got stuck or had an issue
Love the look of your yxz! That blue cage looks awesome. I know STU's are a lot lighter and better than Tusk paddles, if they were in my budget I would have most likely gone with those or skats. When I go to pismo in a couple weeks I think ill start with 10 psi and go from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My yxz has 30" mongrels and do great with my type of riding in the desert. I wonder if I should have just air those down and take them to Pismo instead of spending a lot on paddles and wheels that might not make a huge improvement as I'm hoping for in the dunes...

·
Registered
374 Posts
My yxz has 30" mongrels and do great with my type of riding in the desert. I wonder if I should have just air those down and take them to Pismo instead of spending a lot on paddles and wheels that might not make a huge improvement as I'm hoping for in the dunes...
i wouldnt run paddles at pismo. the sand is super tacky and stiff. i would just air down to 10psi and keep it in 4wd, not diff lock tho.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts