Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my SS SE today. I towed it home approx 400 miles. I'm 99.9% sure the radiator cover was on it when I put it on the trailer. When I got home I saw the radiator and thought it looked cheap. Then it dawned on me the nice gray cover that is supposed to be there is missing.

Before I call my dealer tomorrow I'd like to know how the cover attaches and if anyone has had one blow off before. Anyone know if the cover is attached in the shipping crate of if the dealer has to install it.

Good news is the cover for my white SE is $64 according to the parts fiche. I will also need two of the lever locks which are $4.37 each. The cover for the blue model is $128.47 Go figure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Many reports of covers flying off on the freeway. Others of us put a factory box on from day one and that holds it in. If you can use a factory box, you might consider that

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many reports of covers flying off on the freeway. Others of us put a factory box on from day one and that holds it in. If you can use a factory box, you might consider that
Thanks. I have searched and cannot find anything. So are the reports that the cover can come off at high speed or when trailering or both? The factory box is way to small for us.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks. I have searched and cannot find anything. So are the reports that the cover can come off at high speed or when trailering or both? The factory box is way to small for us.
I have heard that it can come off with speeds in excess of 60mph. Some have had it blow off while driving it at high speeds, but most while trailering. Yes the factory box is not real big but along with the under seat storage I have full tool set, air compressor, large first aid kit, tow rope, tire plugging kit, flashlights, repair supplies kit, jumper cables, and with all of that about half of the box is left open for day use of jackets, food, etc. What else would you be carrying?

Reactions: z28roc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have heard that it can come off with speeds in excess of 60mph. Some have had it blow off while driving it at high speeds, but most while trailering. Yes the factory box is not real big but along with the under seat storage I have full tool set, air compressor, large first aid kit, tow rope, tire plugging kit, flashlights, repair supplies kit, jumper cables, and with all of that about half of the box is left open for day use of jackets, food, etc. What else would you be carrying?
We were on divided highway so not a lot of semi buffeting. However, there was some construction that took us down to two lane highway so maybe it came off then meeting a semi head-on at 65mph.

We're going to try a cooler that we already own. It's one of the Igloo coolers with wheels. It fits perfect. I secure it with two long bungees criss-crossed over the top. Not the best solution but it's rock solid.

We may buy an Ozark Trail (Yetti knockoff) if it has tie down points. I have Rox Straps that would work great on a cooler with four corner hooks. Problem is the heavily insulated coolers don't have as much interior room. We need to be able to carry two hiking packs with water bladders in them, lunch, snacks, rain gear, etc. I saw the factory box on a floor model when I picked mine up and it's way too small for our needs.

I forgot about the under seat storage. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the cover is back-ordered until mid-September. Service guy said I probably shouldn't drive it without the cover in case rocks kick up and damage the radiator fins. I'm thinking of securing a piece of cardboard with zip ties to protect it. Any reason this would be a bad idea? Does it get that hot that it would burn the cardboard?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The dealer lost my radiator cover in transit as well. I just went without it for my first couple of trips, no harm. When the new one arrived, it was the wrong color but I used it anyway until the correct color arrived. You could call Young Powersports to see if they still have it 8015447077. Ask for Mike. They can ship it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer lost my radiator cover in transit as well. I just went without it for my first couple of trips, no harm. When the new one arrived, it was the wrong color but I used it anyway until the correct color arrived. You could call Young Powersports to see if they still have it 8015447077. Ask for Mike. They can ship it.
Thanks for the info. I called them and unfortunately they sent it back to Yamaha. Rats. It was the correct color. Looks like I won't have a cover any time soon. Time to make one out of stiff cardboard. Maybe I'll paint it black so my car doesn't look like a rat rod :)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Looks like the cover is back-ordered until mid-September. Service guy said I probably shouldn't drive it without the cover in case rocks kick up and damage the radiator fins. I'm thinking of securing a piece of cardboard with zip ties to protect it. Any reason this would be a bad idea? Does it get that hot that it would burn the cardboard?
Maybe you could attach a piece of screen to protect the rad till you get a new one. Note to self, take roll of duct tape to dealer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you could attach a piece of screen to protect the rad till you get a new one. Note to self, take roll of duct tape to dealer.
Yeah screen would be a good idea. I have lots of it at home. None up here but I may try to find some when I'm in town.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I was bring my new 2019 home the cover blew off. It just so happen I was looking in my rearview mirror at the time. I was able to pull over in time and know one ran over it. It did get a scratch on it and one of the levers was missing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked up my SS SE today. I towed it home approx 400 miles. I'm 99.9% sure the radiator cover was on it when I put it on the trailer. When I got home I saw the radiator and thought it looked cheap. Then it dawned on me the nice gray cover that is supposed to be there is missing.

Before I call my dealer tomorrow I'd like to know how the cover attaches and if anyone has had one blow off before. Anyone know if the cover is attached in the shipping crate of if the dealer has to install it.

Good news is the cover for my white SE is $64 according to the parts fiche. I will also need two of the lever locks which are $4.37 each. The cover for the blue model is $128.47 Go figure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, I just bought a 2019 ss se and my radiator cover flew off as well on the way home being trailered from my first ride. Now I'm pissed because its obviously not an isolated incident. I never took the cover off and of course my dealer blamed me. It's currently in for 200 mile service. Mine was missing a rubber grommet for the battery cover and the plastic cover as you look in the engine compartment toward where the passengers legs would be. And a second key with the black dust cover. I'm thinking mine went out to events as a demo as it had 5 miles on it when I picked it up. Could anyone share their experience when picking up theirs from dealer such as milage, missing parts etc? Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dealer did a 180 on me. Store manager told me he was ordering the cover and locking levers and having them shipped to me when they are back in stock. Next day a guy from the service department called me and said I had to take the entire YXZ to a Yamaha dealership and have it inspected to make a warranty claim. They are very aware the closest dealer to me is a 140 mile round trip. Certainly not worth wasting a day of my time for $80 worth of parts with no guarantee the claim would be honored. Even if it was honored I'd have to drive the 140 mile round trip again to pick the part up. No way a dealer that didn't sell me the YXZ is going to ship it to me.

I had a great buying experience from Black Hills Powersports but their after the sale communication and service sucks. I have three to four hours of wasted time on this only to be told that they are not going to help me out. I'd be less annoyed if they had told me to go eff myself from the beginning.

They have a white model on the floor. It's the owner's personal vehicle and it has a lot of accessories on it. He is not using it so it's for sale. They could have sent me that cover but the owner said no.

So this dealer has lost my loyalty over $80 worth of parts. I'm not saying I won't buy anything from them again but I'll do everything I can to buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha YXZ 1000R SS XT-R
13 Posts
Mine came off on the way home from the dealer as well. Looks like this is a regular occurrence. If you don't own a factory box I'd suggest trailering it with the cover off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check out partzilla if you have to replace it yourself. Website seems sketchy but I’ve used it to replace this for my 2020 XTR which uses a gold one and the correct color was sent and in about 1.5 weeks from being ordered. Lost mine towing from Sand Hollows to AZ on the freeway. On the way up it was totally fine, just hit some knarly wind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out partzilla if you have to replace it yourself. Website seems sketchy but I’ve used it to replace this for my 2020 XTR which uses a gold one and the correct color was sent and in about 1.5 weeks from being ordered. Lost mine towing from Sand Hollows to AZ on the freeway. On the way up it was totally fine, just hit some knarly wind.
Ended up going with Ebay and got a replacement in a few days (white), no black ones (matching my XT-R) to be found anywhere. Probably going to ebay the replacement the dealership ordered when it arrives in November if they're still in short supply. Covered my white one with graphics. Honestly shocked you got your gold one that quick because it's a rare color. The white and blues are fairly easy to find.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ended up going with Ebay and got a replacement in a few days (white), no black ones (matching my XT-R) to be found anywhere. Probably going to ebay the replacement the dealership ordered when it arrives in November if they're still in short supply. Covered my white one with graphics. Honestly shocked you got your gold one that quick because it's a rare color. The white and blues are fairly easy to find.
Hey that’ll get the job done. If you lose another the gold might not look terrible if you have the 2021 XTR since it matches the stock beadlocks if you still have them. Been pretty surprised with Partzilla. I was 100% expecting a wrong color. I had got the GYTR harness mounts from them too last year around October and only took a couple weeks. I figured they did pretty good on those that I’d give them a chance on the radiator cover. They had the clips and I ordered some oil while I was at it to get the free shipping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey that’ll get the job done. If you lose another the gold might not look terrible if you have the 2021 XTR since it matches the stock beadlocks if you still have them. Been pretty surprised with Partzilla. I was 100% expecting a wrong color. I had got the GYTR harness mounts from them too last year around October and only took a couple weeks. I figured they did pretty good on those that I’d give them a chance on the radiator cover. They had the clips and I ordered some oil while I was at it to get the free shipping.
Only problem I've noticed with Partzilla is unrealistic estimates, but it's probably not their fault. They do list what is in stock when ordering and are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Ordered the storage box, spare carrier, along with a gold OEM front wheel, beadlock ring, and bolts for it to assemble into a spare. Got one email saying the latest would be mid Nov for everything. Then after a couple of updates the black beadlock rim was estimated to arrive mid April 2022. Canceled all the OEM wheel stuff, and now the swingout spare carrier and storage box are due to become availiable beginning of December.

As a side note for this topic, I've read from a few sources the OEM storage box might not be big enough to store an adult helmet inside, but it does eliminate the radiator cover problem everyone in here is talking about. Anyone buying a new one should probably just get it from their dealership on the day they're picking up their ride and have it installed before trailering home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Only problem I've noticed with Partzilla is unrealistic estimates, but it's probably not their fault. They do list what is in stock when ordering and are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Ordered the storage box, spare carrier, along with a gold OEM front wheel, beadlock ring, and bolts for it to assemble into a spare. Got one email saying the latest would be mid Nov for everything. Then after a couple of updates the black beadlock rim was estimated to arrive mid April 2022. Canceled all the OEM wheel stuff, and now the swingout spare carrier and storage box are due to become availiable beginning of December.

As a side note for this topic, I've read from a few sources the OEM storage box might not be big enough to store an adult helmet inside, but it does eliminate the radiator cover problem everyone in here is talking about. Anyone buying a new one should probably just get it from their dealership on the day they're picking up their ride and have it installed before trailering home.
Yup definitely at the mercy of manufacturing. Ridenow here in Arizona will actually price match partzilla as long as it doesn’t say out of stock, check with your local folks too and see if they’ll price match, might save anyone out there a few bucks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts