Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace steering rack as mine is sloppy. Question is which one to get ? Weller ? Hess or rackzilla . Looking at the power steering up grade to go with also .

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'm lookin as well for the 19 and think I've decided on the Weller 1:1 rack with the Hess 2:1 quickener and HD motor kit. Not a cheap option but I think it will be bullet proof. I have the Weller 1.5:1 rack on my 17 and that thing is just a chunk, your not going to beat that one up.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Well you'll need the more powerful electric motor to work correctly and the brain box either way and the Hess assist motor is more powerful than the Weller. The Hess quickener is before the assist motor and I think that may be a benefit over after the assist motor, also I figure if I'm using the Hess HD electric assist I may as well go with there complete kit so it will play well together. I would still need a HD rack though and in my opinion the Weller HD rack is the best out there, so I plan to just use the 1:1 rack for the strength and the Hess kit for increased ratio and power of the assist.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you are looking at the 600 dollar Quickener combined with the 1000 dollar power steering upgrade kit then the Weller rack for 860 dollars then the tube works alternator to power the 360 watt system along with existing electronics already on the car . This is getting crazy lol

·
Registered
872 Posts
So you are looking at the 600 dollar Quickener combined with the 1000 dollar power steering upgrade kit then the Weller rack for 860 dollars then the tube works alternator to power the 360 watt system along with existing electronics already on the car . This is getting crazy lol
🥴

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yes, you pretty well nailed it there, just throw in a set of Weller tie-rods. I think that should make a great combo to work with. I probably should just stay single. lol :unsure:🥳

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think i blew
Yes, you pretty well nailed it there, just throw in a set of Weller tie-rods. I think that should make a great combo to work with. I probably should just stay single. lol :unsure:🥳
I am pretty sure i have blown my whole wad at this point, and then some 😳😜🤑🤩🤩🤩🤩

·
Registered
872 Posts
So much more on the list that never ends.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I will just do the rack less the power steering up grade . I am afraid that with it I will need another battery or alternator or both . Zilla you say the hess system is more powerful than Weller’s . Do you happen to know how many watts the Weller system uses ?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hess vs Weller power steering upgrade???? Hess is 1000.00 Weller 1500.00 . Is Weller worth 500.00 more ? Anybody know the difference? . The steering racks look similar with the Weller looking a little beefier . Decisions decisions. Lol

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after taking things apart it seems there is slop in the Weller Clevis that attaches to to rack on one end and the tie rod on the other . Measured out at 15 inches from center hub to match the diameter of a 30 inch wheel it seems to have a total of 3/8 play between the two sides approx 3/16 per side . I can’t remember if the stock tie rods have any play in them or not . The car was pulling to the right so I check the toe and it was out so I reset to 1/4 toe in this time as opposed to neutral. I didn’t notice any I’ll effect from the play I found but was surprised to find any . Don’t know if this is normal or not . Feel free to offer an opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Think I will just do the rack less the power steering up grade . I am afraid that with it I will need another battery or alternator or both . Zilla you say the hess system is more powerful than Weller’s . Do you happen to know how many watts the Weller system uses ?
I looked on Weller site and it doesn't tell the motor wattage, I thought I remember it saying 320 but I must be mistaken. I'm sure either kit would work well. Maybe give each a call and get the info your looking for and make your determination based on that. If you would decide on the Weller power steering upgrade you would need to go with the Weller rack because the Hess rack only comes in standard ratio it looks like, if your wanting to increase the ratio. As you said though, the Weller rack is a heavier unit. I see you found part of the problem with the clevis, you can get any of the tie-rod parts off Weller, just in case you didn't see that.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Zilla I will check it out . I pulled the clevis apart and I can’t see any wear to speak of so I don’t know if it had that play from the beginning or not . I will check my friends car out . He still has stock tie rods .

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
So much more on the list that never ends.
Tell me about it, I got my raw ABF bumper earlier this week and need to fab and weld on tabs for a light bar, a 6" Rigid E-series pro that I ordered today. That was a quick 800 bucks and then off to powder coat. lol
This week things will escalate quickly with the cage, engine going out and seats with 5-points getting ordered, and I've not got through a quarter of my list. As you said, it can never end, but I enjoy it so that's all that matters. 💲💲;)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thanks Zilla I will check it out . I pulled the clevis apart and I can’t see any wear to speak of so I don’t know if it had that play from the beginning or not . I will check my friends car out . He still has stock tie rods .
I just purchased a new clevis ,pins and tie rod ends for my weller setup. There is a lot of slop in my steering and it’s not in the rack (stock still ). I am also getting a lot of shimming if I am on a rough trail or dunes at high speeds. I have tried different tires and it doesn’t go away. Even with the new parts it still has a lot of slop in the tie rods . If I grab the front wheel I can wiggle left to right and it moves over an inch . Ball joints are tight. My other car has a rackzilla set up that is super tight and no slop at all . Seems like there is just to many pieces in the weller setup.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes there seems to be to much play in the whole set up . The tie rods are not that old . I have 3/8 of play side to side . Who makes 3.5 inch longer tie rods that have the stock like connections on the steering rack end ? The stock tie rods don’t have any slop in them as I remember. I changed mine when I installed the long travel . I don’t have the stock tie rods here anymore but aren’t they like a swivel ball on the rack end ?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yes my others car has a wicked built rack and tie rods for long travel and the use the balls like oem but will not interchange. Zero play in that system. I have a spare setup I plan to install to see if it fixes my problem with the weller setup.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts