Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Car Automotive tire

I am not a "Pro Racer" just a weekend rider/off road enthusiast.

Initial thoughts:

I spent a couple hours messing around on the YXZ.
I have 13 acres with some rolling hills and 96in trail. Only big enough for 3rd gear.

It's fast and really freaking fun!

The motor and manual shifting is addicting and really a blast. The layout feels awesome (I am 6ft). Good room and the seats feel great.

I have 20 years of riding experience from high performance quads and dirtbikes. I never had a SxS only ridden friends RZRs and Rhinos. I did not like them much for off roading. Kinda boring vs. riding a fast dirtbike or banshee, yfz 450, etc.

I would say the comparison is the YXZ is like a YFZ450 and the RZR/Maverick is like a KFX700 or Polaris Scrambler. The YXZ motor, trans, and layout just feels fast, sharp, and really fun to blast on. You feel connected.

The motor has some good torque and a nice top end rip. Characteristic of an inline 3. Notice this motor setup becoming popular in sport snowmobiles and motorcycles. Ripping 2nd and 3rd gear induce rear tire spin and some fun drifting and oversteer!! Something a CVT machine doesn't do well in my honest opinion.

Initial thoughts: Good for trail, play riding, dunes, track, ripping and tearing, shooting hills.

Not great for rock crawling and deep mud. I think the clutch and 1st gear would make this a hassle. This machine want to move and move fast. The recluse clutch option would be a must have. First gear is defiantly not a creeper gear. Just my initial feeling.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hatfield McCoy is next on the list to do with the YXZ next week. I seriously cant wait. It's like a 6 year old going to Disney world!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm right with you. I come from sport/race quads and my experience with a traditional side is it lacked that precision that a race quad gives. I was on the way to a rzr, but this is exactly what I am looking for. Can't wait for it to get here.
Thanks for write up.
Where are you at? None in idaho yet.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in Michigan -

Sand dunes, Sandy Trails, Fast Two Tracks, Hilly terrain. If you like high performance quads, you'll like the YXZ!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Glad you have yours. Hopefully mine gets here soon.
Getting tired of waiting!!!
How do you like the suspension? Is it tunable to your riding style?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, I think it feels fine. I have been reading some reviews that its super harsh and not driveable. I think this is non-sense. Probably people driving suspension sales you know? To say its not drivable and too harsh is ridiculous.

Ill have a better response after I do Hatfield and maybe squeeze in one more dune trip.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
To be honest, I think it feels fine. I have been reading some reviews that its super harsh and not driveable. I think this is non-sense. Probably people driving suspension sales you know? To say its not drivable and too harsh is ridiculous.

Ill have a better response after I do Hatfield and maybe squeeze in one more dune trip.
I had the same thought of it being a handful after my first hour from a suspension standpoint. Well, the settings it came with were all over the place. After adjusting on the shocks a little it got waaay better. It still needs some tuning after the springs get seated but it is far from bad.

·
Registered
681 Posts

Don't forgot us on the Hatfield report! Ha, ha I'm a Rockhouse fan and plan to take it there when the time comes. I didn't like Pocahontas and Indian Ridge as much…we stayed on Poca and rode thru IR to Ashland but never made it to Pinnacle. Regardless it's similar terrain so looking forward to hearing about it. Feel free to take some cell phone vids from outside the car on some blue and black trails and mild hill climbs. :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't forgot us on the Hatfield report! Ha, ha I'm a Rockhouse fan and plan to take it there when the time comes. I didn't like Pocahontas and Indian Ridge as much…we stayed on Poca and rode thru IR to Ashland but never made it to Pinnacle. Regardless it's similar terrain so looking forward to hearing about it. Feel free to take some cell phone vids from outside the car on some blue and black trails and mild hill climbs. :)
I like Rock House too. I am actually going to Indian Ridge. What was the difference in your opinion? Never been to this trail.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I liked your comparison to a Yxz and kfx700. I have raced both in our local hare scramble events. LoL

I actually went from a yfz to the kxf because it is a bigger machine and my old knees where getting tired of the extended bend needed on the yfz.

You know, after several thousand dollars spent, the Rzr 1000 can be made into an impressive race machine. Have to start with suspension redo tho. And then a few other items will need bracing, or replacing. And the Turbo takes even less work to get there.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks True520.

Being a longtime quad guy, it was the most direct example I could think of. I knew ATV folk would understand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got about 10 hours on mine and I agree with your impressions completely. This machine is pretty much designed for racing or aggressive play riding in open spaces. You can tell from the engine, suspension and tranny - Yamaha designed this thing for a specific type of driving. It's NOT an all-around machine and this will disappoint the trail riders/rock crawlers/swampers out there that were thinking of one. This would be the wrong machine for them unless they want to spend some money modifying it. Maybe Yamaha will come out with a "trail" version of it in the future. I have an R1 sportbike and Yamaha designed it the same way. It does not like to be ridden like a cruiser. These machines are designed to be ridden hard. And if you do, you will be rewarded.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got about 10 hours on mine and I agree with your impressions completely. This machine is pretty much designed for racing or aggressive play riding in open spaces. You can tell from the engine, suspension and tranny - Yamaha designed this thing for a specific type of driving. It's NOT an all-around machine and this will disappoint the trail riders/rock crawlers/swampers out there that were thinking of one. This would be the wrong machine for them unless they want to spend some money modifying it. Maybe Yamaha will come out with a "trail" version of it in the future. I have an R1 sportbike and Yamaha designed it the same way. It does not like to be ridden like a cruiser. These machines are designed to be ridden hard. And if you do, you will be rewarded.
YES! Exactly - it wants to rip!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I may be a bit late, but I don't think the suspension is bad at all either. I have a huge mix of Sandy trails, desert washes, and little foothills in my backyard. It's a bit strange at first. It feels stiff, but you don't bottom out and it doesn't do anything unexpected. The backend can get a little sway over whoops, but It doesn't get out of control. I'm going to play around with the settings a bit, and possibly use different shock oil weights in the future. I have a mx background and never owned a rzr, so this is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I like Rock House too. I am actually going to Indian Ridge. What was the difference in your opinion? Never been to this trail.
It didn't seem like Pocahontas and Indian Ridge had as much character and elevation as Rockhouse. We had more time on Pocahontas and didn't find as much challenging but fun stuff like at Rockhouse. I remember Indian Ridge seemed kind of flat and the green trails were dirt but had a lot of roots that were a pain in the ass (and on my back). I wasn't on a SXS tho so not sure if it would be the same kind of experience. Maybe the square edge type roots wouldn't be as noticeable in a SXS however you can't stand up.
And I'm not sure how much we covered on either and it was still fun but not as much fun as RH…doesn't make much sense when trying to explain but since you ride you'll get it.

If you're at Ashland you'll have access to Indian Ridge, Pocahontas and Pinnacle. One trail you should definitely hit is the connector from Pocahontas to Indian Ridge…it might be trail 12. It's long and really, really fast we had a blast on that one…I think your YXZ will be a blast blazing that one.

Regardless it's pretty much the same terrain as RH so stoked to hear about it and I'd bet you'll have a blast with the ol' YXZ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hatfield McCoy is next on the list to do with the YXZ next week. I seriously cant wait. It's like a 6 year old going to Disney world!
I would love to hear how it does at Hatfield. I go every year to Hatfield and just got back two weeks ago. I sold my ATV yesterday because I decided I wanted a SxS so I can start taking my son. I have always been a Yamaha fan but was torn between this and a RZR 1000s simply because Im not sure how the YXZ will do with the trails at Hatfield being a manual shift.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts