Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I finally going to be relieved of the Donkey Kicking rear suspension with the new YXZ??

The COG and geometry of the new machine seems like it would alleviate it a bit as well as the fully adjustable shocks. The jump video seems to show less of a kick if you ask me.

What say you?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yeah and with all the adjustability of the shocks, I bet you could get it dialed in pretty good in stock form. There will always be better options, but hopefully it's pretty good once you dial in the settings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ya, hopefully some free tinkering in the Dez will make it (-)(-)!!

Hate the thought of dumping 2-3-4K into suspension work

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
But people are going to do it, guaranteed.
No doubt about it, but it really depends on how hard you drive and the terrain. Some people may benefit by having a better suspension set up while for others the stock set up will be more than good enough. Maybe just some minor adjustments to personalize their car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
No doubt about it, but it really depends on how hard you drive and the terrain. Some people may benefit by having a better suspension set up while for others the stock set up will be more than good enough. Maybe just some minor adjustments to personalize their car.
Most of the guys I know can't tunafish, much less suspension. Sorry, I had too.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah really, i need an expert to set up my suspension for the big whoops. Has room for plenty of passengers to suffer errrr ride. :D

GoTime.jpg

Just kidding!!! I saw this for sale on Craigslist. You can own it for a measly $700 bucks but I'm sure that's negotiable.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sure going to be better. I don't think you ever tune out the asskicking completely. I ponied up for Elka5's and still got a huckabuck at the end of a 200 yard stretch of whoops. Ya just adjust for the majority of your riding conditions and white knuckle through the rest.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sure going to be better. I don't think you ever tune out the asskicking completely. I ponied up for Elka5's and still got a huckabuck at the end of a 1200 yard stretch of whoops. Ya just adjust for the majority of your riding conditions and white knuckle through the rest.
Huckabuck? Who are you trying to be Ricky Carmichael, LOL!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know people are just now getting to ride these new YXZ's.

Let me bump this up - are they donkey kicking?

Took my RZR out this past weekend and it the ass kick is still pretty bad despite tender swaps and shock adjustments. I am a jumper, got to get this figured out!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I know people are just now getting to ride these new YXZ's.

Let me bump this up - are they donkey kicking?

Took my RZR out this past weekend and it the ass kick is still pretty bad despite tender swaps and shock adjustments. I am a jumper, got to get this figured out!
To start, probably have way too much air in your tires. Don't know where you're at, probably in the neighborhood of 12 - 15 lbs. Go down to 8 - 10, readjust shocks, and try again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Are the faces of the jumps you are talking about longer than the wheelbase of your RZR?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To start, probably have way too much air in your tires. Don't know where you're at, probably in the neighborhood of 12 - 15 lbs. Go down to 8 - 10, readjust shocks, and try again.
I'll give the tires a check, but this has been consistent across the 3 XP's I have had. I have it minimized somewhat after some tweaking, but still strongly there.

Are the faces of the jumps you are talking about longer than the wheelbase of your RZR?
It happens in both cases...the rear kick on short jumps is even more pronounced. Of course it is substantially reduced on a long smooth jump. Oddly, I think I should be able to 'bump' a short jump and not have to deal with a donkey kick even if the jump is shorter than the wheelbase of the vehicle. We were jumping my buddy's rail last weekend on a jump much smaller than the car - no problem keeping the nose up with that one. I am hoping the YXZ answers my complaint.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sure going to be better. I don't think you ever tune out the asskicking completely. I ponied up for Elka5's and still got a huckabuck at the end of a 200 yard stretch of whoops. Ya just adjust for the majority of your riding conditions and white knuckle through the rest.
Yeah but you can make anything huckabuck. Plus those were 2 to 3 foot whoops at about 60-70 mph!!! Dumont is coming!

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is the stiffest UTV ever. The harshness cannot be adjusted out.

Shock Therapy has an RIS kit being designed and will be out shortly.
It's not a simple spring and shim restack. The shock internals are proprietary to Yamaha and all new internals must be made. Shock Therapy is about 3 weeks out on marketing their kit. It really makes a night and day difference

1 - 20 of 76 Posts