Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Shopping for a new sxs. Spend some time in my buddies 2016 yxz. Owned a can am x3 turbo for a while.
trying to decide on a krx or YXZ. So gathering information.

· Registered
405 Posts
Hardcore trail and rocks, KRX because you can run 35" tires without breaking a diff or axle... A little underpowered through the straights...

YXZ you can run 32" heavy ply... but that's pushing it, supporting mods suggested...

You can run 30s comfortably.

YXZ is faster in the straights, desert, and on the sand.

If you get the 2019+ year models the rods are turbo ready, 20% stronger than the 16-18. 5psi vs 7.5/8psi+

Many benefits to going 2019+

If you plan to do a full motor build and long travel etc.... Buy yourself the cheapest 2016 (10-12k) and send the short block out built for Boost ($4k) + Turbo kit ($4k) + Long travel ($4k). + ($4k in supporting mods), axle, clutch, diff.... And you will have a pretty solid machine.

Heavy trails, KRX and throw a Supercharger or turbo on it.

· Registered
405 Posts
I run through all terrains in the big horns. Stock 2021 YXZ SS SE, exhaust and tune at the moment. Done good in Sand, snow, mud, rocks, etc. Supercharger soon... I do plan to cycle through 32"s Rockzillas for heavy trailing, 30" big horns 8 ply for desert, and Skats for the dunes

· Registered
68 Posts
Depends on your riding style. Are you planning rocky trails or dunes? If you want comfort most likely the krx. Seems like they have better suspension.However if you want a car that feels like a race car, the 3 pedal yxz is an awesome experience. I let some rzr & canam owners drive my supercharged yxz at the dunes & they agreed these are way more fun to drive. Shifting gears makes the adventure funner in my opinion. On either vehicle I would consider adding forced induction, both are underpowered IMO. Also a CVT transmission is a big no for me. Them rubber bands are to expensive.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi all. Shopping for a new sxs. Spend some time in my buddies 2016 yxz. Owned a can am x3 turbo for a while.
trying to decide on a krx or YXZ. So gathering information.
There are probably quite a few available in the Havasu area. I personally would point you towards this one 2017 SS SE. (Craigslist pic for reference)
I swear I am not the seller.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

I cannot get over the black and red color scheme and have become blind to most any other color of the YXZ. I came down from the San Francisco Bay area to test ride this YXZ. Having never driven a YXZ
before, like you I was beyond impressed. Unfortunately for the seller that morning I had done a wider search and found the one that I eventually bought down in Tucson. It was 3.5K more but it had 10K+ worth of mods that I would have done and less mileage.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Anyway, good luck. I'm sure any YXZ that you purchase you are going to be very happy with.

· Registered
117 Posts
It definitely comes down to riding area/style.... but there is nothing like the 3 pedal YXZ. I drive it way more than my Rmax now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts