Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I hate to say this about this new car, I find the suspension, fit and finish is what I need and want, but I'm an old Harley rider and I just like the low end grunt of the potato potato sound, not he high revving this motor provides. Don't get me wrong. I can still put the hammer down when it is needed-AKA "Whiskey Pedal." I just don't want to hammer it down all the time to get this sxs moving...If I was racing it then Hell Yes.

If Yamaha doesn't come out soon with trail friendly version, I guess I'm looking at either the HL Edition or the new General. I just want a do all fun factor type SXS with suspension.

BTW: Merry Christmas to All.:)

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The 3 cylinder high revving motor was one of the main attractions for me. It's different, and has so much more potential. And no twin can match that sound!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well, you're honest. Probably isn't or won't be for everybody, but unfortunately, if you don't do a test ride, you might be stuck with something you don't want.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Gotta love the sound of the triple. The twins are like the fabled "Brown Note" on wheels.

All of the issues that he OP mentioned can easily be fixed with minor changes. They can keep the Duner YXZ for that market segment and make a YXZ Trail/XC for folks east of Four Corners.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As much as I hate to say this about this new car, I find the suspension, fit and finish is what I need and want, but I'm an old Harley rider and I just like the low end grunt of the potato potato sound, not he high revving this motor provides. Don't get me wrong. I can still put the hammer down when it is needed-AKA "Whiskey Pedal." I just don't want to hammer it down all the time to get this sxs moving...If I was racing it then Hell Yes.

If Yamaha doesn't come out soon with trail friendly version, I guess I'm looking at either the HL Edition or the new General. I just want a do all fun factor type SXS with suspension.

BTW: Merry Christmas to All.:)
Just curious if you own one, or have driven one?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well, you're honest. Probably isn't or won't be for everybody, but unfortunately, if you don't do a test ride, you might be stuck with something you don't want.
That's why I rented one first. Money well spent IMO. However, I do believe there will be a learning curve for V-twin or CVT owners. It will take some seat time to get used to running the car in the right gear to keep the RPMS up in the power band on the engine. Seems like a small price to pay to have the potential this car has. With that being said it most certainly won't be for everyone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just rode mine for the first time. I will say I love it. It definitely is not for everyone. This is not a drink a beer while you ride machine. This machine is an r1 with 4 tires and a steering wheel. This is a machine you have to drive. It is not for going slow. This is fine with me and is what I expected when I bought it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree. We have had 5 people drive the YXZ, one bought a new Polaris and one bought a new Can Am. Flat fast riding is what it was made for. A granny gear in first would make this unit a must have for a greater percent of the market. Stopped at a dealer in Parker, he has two for sale if people want one. To be fair to all, I suggest you drive before you buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just curious if you own one, or have driven one?
No I haven't driven one yet. I'm still driving the Maverick, but I'm planning on a new ride after the New Year. I'm sure if Yamaha did do a gear reduction on this sxs, I would probably change my current view about it. Hey, I used to do a lot of dirt racing so I do know how and can still drive fast; racing is not as important to me anymore...just a good quality ride with speed potential.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you can wait for a really long time, Honda might actually get into the game. Their new utility machine, Pioneer 1000, has a really nice Dual Clutch Transmission. If they can match that up with a high output motor and drop it into a sport buggy, that might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Its definitely not an all around machine the way it sits. Spend 2k and send the tranny to Tubeworks is a start. Then long travel with a set of shocks valved and spung so it doesn't beat you to death for all around use. But with long travel comes a width issue for a lot of trails.

·
Registered
681 Posts
No I haven't driven one yet. I'm still driving the Maverick, but I'm planning on a new ride after the New Year. I'm sure if Yamaha did do a gear reduction on this sxs, I would probably change my current view about it. Hey, I used to do a lot of dirt racing so I do know how and can still drive fast; racing is not as important to me anymore...just a good quality ride with speed potential.
It sounds like your Maverick is exactly what you want to me???

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I still think a Rekluse clutch will turn this machine into a practcal off road machine for most people out there.

Seriously, if you plan on trail riding 80% or more of the time, just in hook the sway bars and set everything to soft. Maybe add Schmitty's rear tender spring to soften up the initial hit a little more.

That being said tho, there really would be no reason to buy this car over the Maverick or Polaris for leisure trail riding other than personal preference.

They each have their strong points and weak points.

Now for rock crawlers or mudders. There are already specific built machines for those crowds.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.