Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not For Me

31K views 207 replies 42 participants last post by  6gearz 
#1 ·
As much as I hate to say this about this new car, I find the suspension, fit and finish is what I need and want, but I'm an old Harley rider and I just like the low end grunt of the potato potato sound, not he high revving this motor provides. Don't get me wrong. I can still put the hammer down when it is needed-AKA "Whiskey Pedal." I just don't want to hammer it down all the time to get this sxs moving...If I was racing it then Hell Yes.

If Yamaha doesn't come out soon with trail friendly version, I guess I'm looking at either the HL Edition or the new General. I just want a do all fun factor type SXS with suspension.

BTW: Merry Christmas to All.:)

#6 ·
The 3 cylinder high revving motor was one of the main attractions for me. It's different, and has so much more potential. And no twin can match that sound!

#10 ·
That's why I rented one first. Money well spent IMO. However, I do believe there will be a learning curve for V-twin or CVT owners. It will take some seat time to get used to running the car in the right gear to keep the RPMS up in the power band on the engine. Seems like a small price to pay to have the potential this car has. With that being said it most certainly won't be for everyone.

#8 ·
Gotta love the sound of the triple. The twins are like the fabled "Brown Note" on wheels.

All of the issues that he OP mentioned can easily be fixed with minor changes. They can keep the Duner YXZ for that market segment and make a YXZ Trail/XC for folks east of Four Corners.

#15 · (Edited)
No I haven't driven one yet. I'm still driving the Maverick, but I'm planning on a new ride after the New Year. I'm sure if Yamaha did do a gear reduction on this sxs, I would probably change my current view about it. Hey, I used to do a lot of dirt racing so I do know how and can still drive fast; racing is not as important to me anymore...just a good quality ride with speed potential.

#14 ·
I agree. We have had 5 people drive the YXZ, one bought a new Polaris and one bought a new Can Am. Flat fast riding is what it was made for. A granny gear in first would make this unit a must have for a greater percent of the market. Stopped at a dealer in Parker, he has two for sale if people want one. To be fair to all, I suggest you drive before you buy.

#18 ·
Its definitely not an all around machine the way it sits. Spend 2k and send the tranny to Tubeworks is a start. Then long travel with a set of shocks valved and spung so it doesn't beat you to death for all around use. But with long travel comes a width issue for a lot of trails.

#20 ·
I still think a Rekluse clutch will turn this machine into a practcal off road machine for most people out there.

Seriously, if you plan on trail riding 80% or more of the time, just in hook the sway bars and set everything to soft. Maybe add Schmitty's rear tender spring to soften up the initial hit a little more.

That being said tho, there really would be no reason to buy this car over the Maverick or Polaris for leisure trail riding other than personal preference.

They each have their strong points and weak points.

Now for rock crawlers or mudders. There are already specific built machines for those crowds.

#25 ·
I agree with Centurion on this one. I was ready to put my money down on one till I drove one and also wanted to see people get them in tougher situations than wide open dunes.

I love the sports car feel of driving it but 1st gear is just way too tall to be worth anything in technical situations. And I have seen videos of people running the reckuse but that is just a bandaid for technical riding. If I could ride wide open all the time I would own one. But my friend has one and took it to Sand Mountain and said it was a dog at 5000 feet in the sand with and without paddles. His xp1000 could walk all over it, so now that narrows it down to sea level sand riding unless you start to mod one out.

I realized while riding in Lake Havasu when we got into some tight waterfall ravines that you would have been smoking the clutch to wind your way up and out vs a cvt setup with low gear.

I really think Yamaha missed the mark to be a "true" sport by limiting to such a small market. If they would have done a low range or a granny first gear they would be killing it. But the fact is their sales aren't that great considering you could go buy one off a show room floor anywhere and everywhere.

#26 ·
I agree with Centurion on this one. I was ready to put my money down on one till I drove one and also wanted to see people get them in tougher situations than wide open dunes.

a dog at 5000 feet in the sand with and without paddles. His xp1000 could walk all over it, so now that narrows it down to sea level sand riding unless you start to mod one out.

COME ON MAN, I completely disagree

#27 ·
But my friend has one and took it to Sand Mountain and said it was a dog at 5000 feet in the sand with and without paddles. His xp1000 could walk all over it, so now that narrows it down to sea level sand riding unless you start to mod one out.

I realized while riding in Lake Havasu when we got into some tight waterfall ravines that you would have been smoking the clutch to wind your way up and out vs a cvt setup with low gear.

I really think Yamaha missed the mark to be a "true" sport by limiting to such a small market. If they would have done a low range or a granny first gear they would be killing it. But the fact is their sales aren't that great considering you could go buy one off a show room floor anywhere and everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Setting aside the fact you didn't do your homework on this. The YXZ was never claimed to be the End All Be All SXS. Yamaha did not make this to be a crawler or technical trail machine crawling around in low gear. This was purposely built for people who like to drive their machines FAST..Dunes, Desert, trails and fire-roads.

Instead of "my friend said" try it out yourself. There are plenty of people on this forum that have been to Sand Mountain and areas in higher elevations and this machine runs great.

#28 ·
But my friend has one and took it to Sand Mountain and said it was a dog at 5000 feet in the sand with and without paddles. His xp1000 could walk all over it, so now that narrows it down to sea level sand riding unless you start to mod one out.

I really think Yamaha missed the mark to be a "true" sport by limiting to such a small market. If they would have done a low range or a granny first gear they would be killing it. But the fact is their sales aren't that great considering you could go buy one off a show room floor anywhere and everywhere.
Setting aside the fact you didn't do your homework on this. The YXZ was never claimed to be the End All Be All SXS. Yamaha did not make this to be a crawler or technical trail machine crawling around in low gear. This was purposely built for people who like to drive their machines FAST..Dunes, Desert, trails and fire-roads.

Instead of "my friend said" try it out yourself. There are plenty of people on this forum that have been to Sand Mountain and areas in higher elevations and this machine runs great.[/QUOTE]

I have drove his, not at sand mountain but down here in the valley. And like I said at the first part of the post it was fun for high speed. But when 4 different guys that rode his machine in the sand, all have rzr's and sand rails and they all say it was a dog there trying it both with paddles and without I will tend to listen.

And lets not "set aside" that I didn't do my homework. I research more on these SxS's than probably 80% of those that ride, expecially if it interests me. A true sport SxS should handle more than just FAST terrain. Yamaha claims that this is the only TRUE SPORT sxs, but who defines "sport"?? Wide open dunes, desert or fire roads are all that can be classified as sport?? I classify sport as being able to do dunes, desert, tight trails, rocks, mud (if thats what you are into). And I classify Utility being putting around with the family on fire roads, using the bed to haul stuff (wood, dirt, rocks, etc) and something you use around the ranch but can still have fun. So for someone that wants to spend $20k for a all around True Sport SxS the yamaha missed that mark. And their next step down is the wolverine which is a glorified Rhino.

I really hope Yamaha makes a few changes because I feel they left some on the table. If Yamaha were smart they would have made 1st gear lower, and spread out 5th. Anyone that says 1st gear is not too tall is just making an excuse to justify that it does ok down low. And 5th gear while it is goverened at the 78 mph you are still taching 8,000-8,500rpm. Why didn't they push 5th out a little so you could run 65-70mph lower in the tach range. Ive driven it and while its fun it only makes great power at 7,000rpm and up, anything below that it just isn't that "quick" feeling.

Now if I rode all dunes you betch your ass I would own with with a turbo because there is no stopping it then. But I use a SxS for everything sport related to me (dunes, desert, tight rocky trails).

#31 ·
I understand where your coming from! I have a 2011 roadglide I am thinking I need to Sell it . Don't use it as much as I use to. Gonna go one last time to sturgis and put it up for sell. A friend talked me into getting a Sxs and I waited for the yxz . It's a blast and much safer !

#32 ·
Don't worry about it Jsandgren10, most of the guys on here have never driven a Rzr or maverick either but they all have strong opinions about them based on what they've heard. I've learned that you can call it the best machine without ever seeing it but you can't have an opposing view unless you've owned one. I tend to agree that it's most definitely not a well rounded machine, its purpose built, just not exactly sure what that purpose is.

#34 ·
I have been out a few times with " RZR guys " since I have got my YXZ. They all complain about how much " MONEY " that they spend on keeping them going. I have been buying Yamaha product for years they are reliable so I have complete faith in my YXZ. Just like every machine out there, you build and make it your own. I love the fact that I can step on it, and it goes by by a RZR.

#39 ·
Ive had my yxz for 2 months bought a rzr in june sold it September i knew i wanted the yxz. after owning it for 2 months i still think i made the right choice for me. That said i live in the hills of west Virginia where basically you can ride on any dirt road and old abandoned county roads you can find. Ive had it in some rocky hill sections that was tougher to get out of than the rzr but i made it without breaking anything. I wanted a machine i could keep and put 15 maybe 20000 miles on i think u can do that with the yxz

#45 ·
Rpm addict was the guy who had the video of the yxz at sand mtn, at least I think... He had a turbo WC also... I know on my cvt wildcat , the only thing I had at my disposal was momentum... Only had 80 or so hp and that was at crank. Now my sport quads have no problem climbing any dune, any altitude period... I know it's a diff comparison... Talking to guys up in the Oregon dunes I keep hearing nothing but good reports, and although it's at the ocean, there is way more a variety there than compared to sand mtn... At any rate, I have only briefly ridden passenger in a yxz, so I have not experienced what you have... Come January 8th I will and it will immediately be broken in at Winchester bay on the tallest dune I can find. ��

#47 ·
I think there are a lot of people dissapointed Yamaha didn't come out with a machine that is exactly compatible with the Maverick and Xps.

Which basically means another CVT car with soft suspension.

I can see how it this would have been a Win for a lot of people. And also probably sold more units too.

Yamaha chose to be different.

What I don't understand is all the hate someone or something gets for being different.

#48 ·
That's what makes this country great.. We are different and proud of it.

I am curious to see what will happen if Polaris ever comes out with a shifter car to compete with the YXZ, All the guys in that video that said it was dangerous having to shift with one hand and steer with the other. My guess is there are some people in this world that think everyone should cater to them and only them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.