Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm kicking farts out of a dead horse... But, hey. Its what I'm good at.

For our new members or those that thought the 2019 cage design fixed issues with the original cage design.

For those that think "it'll never happen to me".

I welded a CageWRX super shorty over the winter for a friend. A very safe driver. While he was giving a granddaughter a ride around the back yard he caught a wheel.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Hood

So, yeah, it can happen to you.

Just my .02 worth.
Nate

Reactions: leadmic

Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
Thanks for posting this Nate. I saw that Facebook post yesterday. It was truly a tragedy that the poster and his son-in-law both ended up with major spinal injuries. I will admit that I was a cage denier for a while, but after seeing post after post of people getting hurt it became very apparent that you are truly rolling the dice for yourself and anyone that rides with you every time you roll out.

Registered
2019 YXZ1000R SS SE White
That is terrible about the injuries with the FB roll, very scary indeed, and a solid cage would've certainly avoided that ordeal. While that looks like an older machine with the older cage, no one can be sure if the newer cage would've changed the outcome for better or for worse.

I do have a 19 that I rolled last year, first time that had ever happened in any machine. While my roll was a fairly graceful one, it was not in a perfectly flat field nor at an extremely low speed, and the cage held up perfectly. Not to say it is the end all be all and an upgraded cage is on my list, but just wanted to put that out there that the newer cage may still be considerably better than the older one.

Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@RobBeck you are correct that it was a 2016 model at the beginning of the post.

But if you scroll down some there are quite a few 2019 + that suffered similar damage. They never corrected some of the most significant design flaws in the 2016-2018 cages.

While even the aftermarket cages aren't perfect. There isn't a single one built with a proper halo. And you can still get one to fold given the right conditions. They are significantly better than OEM. Even if just from the stand point of not having the two main hoops held together with sheetmetal and bolts.

Just my .02 worth.
Nate

Nate

Registered
@RobBeck you are correct that it was a 2016 model at the beginning of the post.

But if you scroll down some there are quite a few 2019 + that suffered similar damage. They never corrected some of the most significant design flaws in the 2016-2018 cages.

While even the aftermarket cages aren't perfect. There isn't a single one built with a proper halo. And you can still get one to fold given the right conditions. They are significantly better than OEM. Even if just from the stand point of not having the two main hoops held together with sheetmetal and bolts.

Just my .02 worth.
Nate

Nate
Definitely not sold on the 19+ being the end all be all, as you said nothing really is that. Just likely to be a bit better than prior years, my personal experience was a good one (fortunately). Nonetheless I've been thinking about an upgraded cage ever since.

That said it sounds like you may know a thing or two about cage design. I have a very well respected cage builder (in my area anyway) and he does have one available for the YXZ, which is not a common thing around here as the YXZ is not a popular choice in the midwest. However I like that he is local, and he also said if they build it we can also tailor it (I am sure within reason) to my liking. What do you think about this general design?
Furniture Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Rectangle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
Definitely not sold on the 19+ being the end all be all, as you said nothing really is that. Just likely to be a bit better than prior years, my personal experience was a good one (fortunately). Nonetheless I've been thinking about an upgraded cage ever since.

That said it sounds like you may know a thing or two about cage design. I have a very well respected cage builder (in my area anyway) and he does have one available for the YXZ, which is not a common thing around here as the YXZ is not a popular choice in the midwest. However I like that he is local, and he also said if they build it we can also tailor it (I am sure within reason) to my liking. What do you think about this general design?
View attachment 121352
View attachment 121353
View attachment 121354
I鈥檓 going say that I鈥檓 99.9% sure that it is an LSK cage. Just built one and I was very happy with it.
Many cage builders find it better to buy a diy kit and weld it up or make mods to your liking鈥
Blue Bicycle tire Bicycle part Wood Automotive tire
Wood Plant Triangle Grass Electric blue

Registered

View attachment 121352
View attachment 121353
View attachment 121354
If the pics they sent you include the one on the lawn is is 100% an lsk WIY cage. I know the owner of that car on the lawn

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW, the car on the lawn is over by Winona MN. Its a CageWRX Super Shorty. Its the one I welded up over last winter.

@RobBeck yeah... probably owe an apology. Less than 5 minutes after talking I was sound asleep on the couch.... Working way too many hours trying to make sure rifles are ready for hunting season.

Nate

Reactions: RobBeck

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Whatuhunit you might be on to something. I'm thinking lawns are probably too dangerous to drive on. I've seen more rolled YXZ's on lawns than on trails! LMAO
Nate

Registered
If the pics they sent you include the one on the lawn is is 100% an lsk WIY cage. I know the owner of that car on the lawn
Really? You from Missouri? This was on their FB page but could've been something they just snagged as an example.

Pretty sure they just did a "one-off" cage for testing/jigging, I was tempted to buy it but wanted to do more research on them first PLUS figured I'd want some small tweaks here and there for my accessories. I know for a fact they do a lot of custom work, but for the YXZ (and it's lack of following around here) they probably opted to just use this kit. Ultimately sounds like they have the LSK as their YXZ offering.

Registered
Really? You from Missouri? This was on their FB page but could've been something they just snagged as an example.

Pretty sure they just did a "one-off" cage for testing/jigging, I was tempted to buy it but wanted to do more research on them first PLUS figured I'd want some small tweaks here and there for my accessories. I know for a fact they do a lot of custom work, but for the YXZ (and it's lack of following around here) they probably opted to just use this kit. Ultimately sounds like they have the LSK as their YXZ offering.
I鈥檓 from the west coast, the gray car with brown cage is one of my buddies. His car is actually the LSK assembly video for the yxz radius cage. He has rolled his car end over end with that cage and it did not budge at all,
debeaded tires but the frame kept square.

the car bucked hard, after this trip he bought the fast lab tire carrier.

If you have a buddy that welds you could have that cage fairly cheap + a case of beer for your buddies help.

Registered
I鈥檓 from the west coast, the gray car with brown cage is one of my buddies. His car is actually the LSK assembly video for the yxz radius cage. He has rolled his car end over end with that cage and it did not budge at all,debeaded tires but the frame kept square.

the car bucked hard, after this trip he bought the fast lab tire carrier.

If you have a buddy that welds you could have that cage fairly cheap + a case of beer for your buddies help.
Great to hear about it's ruggedness. Aside safety frame integrity is another concern, I'd hate to lose the OE cage in some roll over event and it in turn tweaks the frame. Entirely avoidable.

I actually TIG some myself (not an expert but decent enough), however I have many other things keeping me busy so will likely just have these guys do it. Nothing like being able to walk away and coming back to a finished project.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My experience has been its about 16 hours of actual pedal time on the TiG in a non-production setting. Total assembly time on both was around 40 hours. BUT that included a lot of non-standard additions. Things like fabbing and welding in inserts for fire extinguisher mounts, turn-brake-chase light mounts, tacos for the rear tubes, etc.

If your having someone else do the welding, you may want to search the site some for ideas as far as customizing goes. There is a whole lot you can do that shouldn't add a whole lot of cost.

As for LSK holding up. My favorite is @Thesandaddict pictures of his "roll over".

Nate

Registered
My experience has been its about 16 hours of actual pedal time on the TiG in a non-production setting. Total assembly time on both was around 40 hours. BUT that included a lot of non-standard additions. Things like fabbing and welding in inserts for fire extinguisher mounts, turn-brake-chase light mounts, tacos for the rear tubes, etc.

If your having someone else do the welding, you may want to search the site some for ideas as far as customizing goes. There is a whole lot you can do that shouldn't add a whole lot of cost.

As for LSK holding up. My favorite is @Thesandaddict pictures of his "roll over".

Nate
Yeah, that sounds like about 40 hours more than I feel like dealing with lol. I probably need to get some more dialogue going with them about doing it soon.

Registered
MIG the cage and save days. I can do them in usually 6hrs or less. TIG requires a lot more. cleaning more. fit up needs to be perfect. root pass. second pass. you essentially need to weld it twice.
if youre in southern california call us up we can do them fast ready for pick up or drop off your car and we can go crazy with it. roof racks, lights, etc, custom powdercoat etc. ive rolled my car twice, stripped the powder both times to inspect the welds and tubing and re powdercoat it. LSK cage has held up to some ridiculous abuse.

Registered
I know I'm kicking farts out of a dead horse... But, hey. Its what I'm good at.

For our new members or those that thought the 2019 cage design fixed issues with the original cage design.

For those that think "it'll never happen to me".

I welded a CageWRX super shorty over the winter for a friend. A very safe driver. While he was giving a granddaughter a ride around the back yard he caught a wheel. View attachment 121351

So, yeah, it can happen to you.

Just my .02 worth.
Nate
NO WAY this should happen while driving your grand daughter around the back yard. WTF

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@joehughes115 Wish I could say otherwise... But, that is exactly what happened. Since it wasn't me I can't tell you 100% of everything that happened, except that it did happen.
Nate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts