Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm kicking farts out of a dead horse... But, hey. Its what I'm good at.

For our new members or those that thought the 2019 cage design fixed issues with the original cage design.

For those that think "it'll never happen to me".

I welded a CageWRX super shorty over the winter for a friend. A very safe driver. While he was giving a granddaughter a ride around the back yard he caught a wheel.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Hood

So, yeah, it can happen to you.

Just my .02 worth.
Nate

Reactions: leadmic

Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@RobBeck you are correct that it was a 2016 model at the beginning of the post.

But if you scroll down some there are quite a few 2019 + that suffered similar damage. They never corrected some of the most significant design flaws in the 2016-2018 cages.

While even the aftermarket cages aren't perfect. There isn't a single one built with a proper halo. And you can still get one to fold given the right conditions. They are significantly better than OEM. Even if just from the stand point of not having the two main hoops held together with sheetmetal and bolts.

Just my .02 worth.
Nate

Nate

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW, the car on the lawn is over by Winona MN. Its a CageWRX Super Shorty. Its the one I welded up over last winter.

@RobBeck yeah... probably owe an apology. Less than 5 minutes after talking I was sound asleep on the couch.... Working way too many hours trying to make sure rifles are ready for hunting season.

Nate

Reactions: RobBeck

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Whatuhunit you might be on to something. I'm thinking lawns are probably too dangerous to drive on. I've seen more rolled YXZ's on lawns than on trails! LMAO
Nate

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My experience has been its about 16 hours of actual pedal time on the TiG in a non-production setting. Total assembly time on both was around 40 hours. BUT that included a lot of non-standard additions. Things like fabbing and welding in inserts for fire extinguisher mounts, turn-brake-chase light mounts, tacos for the rear tubes, etc.

If your having someone else do the welding, you may want to search the site some for ideas as far as customizing goes. There is a whole lot you can do that shouldn't add a whole lot of cost.

As for LSK holding up. My favorite is @Thesandaddict pictures of his "roll over".

Nate

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@joehughes115 Wish I could say otherwise... But, that is exactly what happened. Since it wasn't me I can't tell you 100% of everything that happened, except that it did happen.
Nate

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
ROFLMAO

Guess I can go back to wearing tinfoil on the trail....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts