Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked our YXZ up about a week ago...very impressed so far. We have a couple 08 rhino's, one with all the bells and whistles, and have been quite content with the balance of power and reliability...well, not so much the power. We've held off of purchasing any other brand as we constantly see the reliability issues they struggle with...we are optimistic that the YXZ will have minimal issues.
So far, we have added simple things like rear view mirror, fire extinguisher, and an LED bar across the top of the roof. I'm probably most excited about picking up sand tires the end of this last week...29" STU Beachcombers and Tributes on Hipers. We will be heading to Little Sahara over the Halloween weekend to play. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the YXZ! Now those are some interesting looking sand tires. Let us know how they worked out. And how many watts does that light bar draw? The general consensus is that the stator does not produce enough surplus power to run these. Please let us know how your buggy handles it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're not sure on the amperage draw of the bar...36" single row though. I've read through the thread about stator output/capability...we'll see this next weekend, plan is to limit time of bar use. The stock lights are not bad at all, but I think they can be out-driven.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I picked our YXZ up about a week ago...very impressed so far. We have a couple 08 rhino's, one with all the bells and whistles, and have been quite content with the balance of power and reliability...well, not so much the power. We've held off of purchasing any other brand as we constantly see the reliability issues they struggle with...we are optimistic that the YXZ will have minimal issues.
So far, we have added simple things like rear view mirror, fire extinguisher, and an LED bar across the top of the roof. I'm probably most excited about picking up sand tires the end of this last week...29" STU Beachcombers and Tributes on Hipers. We will be heading to Little Sahara over the Halloween weekend to play. :cool:
Welcome Rocktonka, congrats! Love that old truck in the background! What's the story on that?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never seen a dune Rhino…that's cool. Congrats on that new thing too. :)
Thanks Aaron, I'm not surprised that you haven't noticed a rhino out and about...not many of them used for playing anymore!

A lot of us had them. Spent way too much money on them too, LOL!
No doubt!

Congrats and welcome
Thanks!

Welcome Rocktonka, congrats! Love that old truck in the background! What's the story on that?
Thanks! The truck is a 58 we've been working on for a few years...454/NV4500/205/D60/14B w/dumpbed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Thanks Aaron, I'm not surprised that you haven't noticed a rhino out and about...not many of them used for playing anymore!

No doubt!

Thanks!

Thanks! The truck is a 58 we've been working on for a few years...454/NV4500/205/D60/14B w/dumpbed

Now that suburban in the back has my attention . I have a 64 gmc that I will be doing a frame off rebuild in a few years. It was my first vehicle my father gave me when I first started driving.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Now that suburban in the back has my attention . I have a 64 gmc that I will be doing a frame off rebuild in a few years. It was my first vehicle my father gave me when I first started driving.
We've had the suburban for a few years now, built kind of a sleeper out of it.. BBCw/175 shot NOS/T400/narrowed D60/minitubs/f&r swaybars/discs and dropped a bit...it's an absolute blast to bomb around in!

Definitely keep the 64 and build it...the ones with a family connection/history are the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Very nice . I did have a nice bbc in mine 25 yrs ago. I just couldn't keep it running . Spun to many rod bearings and ate to many cams. I have a zz4 crate motor in it now ! When I do the rebuild it will be air bagged and tubbed . I want a nice driver.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rocktonka! Congrats on the new toy and I think that wheel and paddle combo are the best looking I've seen so far! How did your trip to LS go? I'm interested in knowing how those paddles performed for you?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tire combo worked exceptionally well. They seem to offer excellent flotation without a tendency to dig in...climbing straight up the big dunes from a dead stop at the bottom was effortless (for the west coasters, our dunes are not big), in addition we had some rain Sat. The front Tributes pull strong...you can tell that they're working. Cornering at speed was predictable and stable (4WD and 2WD). You can easily drift the rear at will in 2WD but still very predictable...I preferred 4WD for most of what we do, tracks like it is on rails. The 29s are maybe a bit much tire...definitely takes longer to get through 4th and into 5th, but very doable. Turbo will fix that! The combo is lighter than stock, duh! I'll get them on a scale later on...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The tire combo worked exceptionally well. They seem to offer excellent flotation without a tendency to dig in...climbing straight up the big dunes from a dead stop at the bottom was effortless (for the west coasters, our dunes are not big), in addition we had some rain Sat. The front Tributes pull strong...you can tell that they're working. Cornering at speed was predictable and stable (4WD and 2WD). You can easily drift the rear at will in 2WD but still very predictable...I preferred 4WD for most of what we do, tracks like it is on rails. The 29s are maybe a bit much tire...definitely takes longer to get through 4th and into 5th, but very doable. Turbo will fix that! The combo is lighter than stock, duh! I'll get them on a scale later on...

very nice!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought about starting a build thread, but this is already going...maybe I'll have a mod move it.

Anyway, I thought we would just post up what we change/add as time goes by and give our $0.02 worth on what seems to work for us...or not work for us! :confused:

There's a bit of catch-up, but not much...we've had the YXZ since mid-Oct.

In addition to what has already been posted, we added a switch panel above the cubby hole for switches/charger. The panel came from STV Motorsports...just roof bar, interior lights, and charger on it so far. We drilled out the roof clamps and installed some Eagle Eye LED's for interior lights...very nice, even, bright, light.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts